Mountain Ringlet

Mark Spedding

Mountain Ringlet

Post by Mark Spedding »

Hi folks,

Over the next weekend or two, of course weather permitting, I hoping to go to the Lake Distrci for Mountain Ringlet.

I tried last year, on a glorious sunny afternoon in early July, but with no joy, primarily from a lack of precise information.

Could anyone help me ut with a Lake District site. Some fairly precise details of where to go would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Larry Wheatland

Post by Larry Wheatland »

Hi Mark,

I'm intending to do the same, on Jul 7th weekend. I asked the same question on the Birdforum website (butterfllies section ) and got some pretty detailed directions which you can find there. Good luck ! I hope we get some decent weather.

Larry
Mark Spedding

Post by Mark Spedding »

Just thought I'd let anyone interested know that I tried the Wrynose Pass site yesterday, but sadly, failed to see any MR's. It was rather overcast (the sun shone at times. but rather weakly) so I suppose that would be a big factor in not seeing them.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I believe that both temperature and sun are serious factors with MR. Last year I visited Ben Lawers, and it wasn't until 1030 (when the temperature had risen) than any were seen. And only then when the sun shone. As soon as a cloud came over, they disappeared in the grass.

But the forecast looks good over the next day or so. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to make another trip up north for some time :(

Cheers,

- Pete

Post by Guest »

Spent from dawn till about 4pm at Wrynose Pass area, mostly around Red Tarn, looking for this sp. on Jul 8th with no luck. Only a few 30 second bursts of sunshine and pretty windy. Lots of Small Heaths were the only butterflies I found there.

Return to “General”