Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The first thing I did on waking this morning was to check on the Blue Tits: the nest was empty, so no eggs yet. The pair have been to-ing and fro-ing this afternoon and I'll be interested to see whether the female spends the night in the box as she did last night.

When I got home from work this afternoon it was very warm and sunny so I grabbed my camera and went for a walk in the woods.

I almost immediately saw my first Red Admiral of the year but he wasn't being sociable enough to let me take his picture. As he flew away I heard a Nightingale and my first Willow Warbler too, along with several Chiffchaffs.

Further along the path I came across a Small Tortoiseshell which had settled on a monumental pile of dog poo
IMG_2469.JPG
Then as the sun seemed to grow stronger I found not one but three Peacocks
IMG_2490.JPG
At times all three would chase one another, spiralling up high into the blue sky before breaking off and settling back down on the path

A Comma was flitting about near-by
IMG_2493.JPG
I then moved to another part of the wood where I came across first one and then three Brimstones, all busily on patrol. I thought I'd attempt to get a photo of one as it flew past
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
But then to my surprise it landed and allowed me to get up close
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG
My butterfly stalking is notoriously bad; the more careful I try to be the more I blunder about, and so knowing how flighty Brimstones are at this time of year I began to wonder why this one seemed so tolerant

And when I saw a big fly land on it as if it were a dead leaf yet still the Brimstone remained motionless I began to fear that the poor thing had expired right before my eyes.
IMG_2520.JPG
But that wasn't the case and as I got practically nose to nose with it, it flew up and away. Five species of butterfly in one short walk: I was very pleased indeed.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent stuff, Hoggers. I've only ever once seen a male Brimstone settle for anything other than a few seconds in springtime.

Looks like things are hotting up in your neck of the woods.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

David M wrote:Excellent stuff, Hoggers. I've only ever once seen a male Brimstone settle for anything other than a few seconds in springtime.

Looks like things are hotting up in your neck of the woods.
That's my experience too, David:the most I'd hoped for was a blurred photo of one as it flew away;when this one not only settled but stayed put for at least 5 minutes I genuinely thought something was seriously wrong with it and that it might even have died right before my eyes! Happily that wasn't the case.

Just a quick update to say that the female Blue Tit returned to the box at around 7pm and spent the night there again. No eggs but she looks as if she's getting everything prepared.

And a quick note to say that I heard and saw my first Common Whitethroat on my Patch this morning, so another Spring migrant has returned safely.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On my morning walk with the dogs I came across no less that six Small Tortoiseshells
P1030397.JPG
P1030411.JPG
P1030415.JPG
P1030430.JPG
And one Peacock
P1030455.JPG
By the river I met with this chap
P1030422.JPG
I think it's a Marsh Frog.

After lunch I went for a squelch around Hothfield Bog with Brother Hoggles. It felt like Peacock City. We saw eight in all,often watching them chase each other high into the air. I thought this one in particular was very attractive
IMG_2563.JPG
We saw several of these beetles (I believe it's a Tiger)
IMG_2528.JPG
Until I looked at the photo I didn't know they went in for a sort of Disco-Glitter effect on the head and thorax.Rather fetching.

The Marsh Marigolds are out at last
IMG_2542.JPG

But best of all was coming upon my first Green-veined White of the year
IMG_2531.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
It was rather flighty and difficult to approach so I had to peer at it through the undergrowth to get a picture. A beautiful butterfly and a rather startling sight,being the only white butterfly in that area. I guess this one had emerged only today into our Wonderful World.

This sighting of a GVW is four weeks later than the first I saw in 2012 and it's the only White I've seen thus far.

As for my Blue Tits, the female arrives every evening at about 7.30 to settle down in the box for the night but as yet, no eggs.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I dusted off my sun hat today for the first (and hopefully not the last) time this year, then set off with the dogs. I saw three Peacocks and five Small Tortoiseshells
P1030467.JPG
I was happy to see that this one had found itself a good source of nectar
P1030478.JPG
The Marsh Frog was sunbathing in exactly the same spot as yesterday
P1030480.JPG
Handsome Devil.

I then did some gardening
photo-14.JPG
I'm pleased with how it has come along since I began work last December. So much better than just a lawn
photo-15.JPG
Every time I see a Bee or Butterfly in the garden it feels like I'm greeting a favoured guest.

While establishing a new flowerbed today I saw both male and female Brimstones and a Comma, as well as this pair of Bee-Flys
P1030493.JPG
The Blackbirds have been busy all day taking worms to the single chick that they've managed to raise. The nest is in the Ivy by our washing-line, so they're very used to seeing us during the day but we all try to leave them in peace as much as possible. I took a quick snap of the chick today as he peered out at me from the shadows
P1030498.JPG
He looks about ready to leave the nest. When I think of all the cats and Magpies that we have hereabouts, the Blackbirds have just about beaten the odds.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Five Small Tortoiseshells and a Peacock on my morning walk with the dogs. No sign of any Whites yet.

This afternoon I stopped off at Wye Nature Reserve on my way home from work. It was blustery but generally warm with sunny spells. I saw only one butterfly, this Peacock
IMG_2599.JPG
However, it was well worth the visit for the flowers alone. The chalk hillside near the view point is covered in Violets
IMG_2591.JPG
With Ground Ivy
IMG_2601.JPG
Wild Strawberry
IMG_2586.JPG
And a personal favourite of mine, Cowslip
IMG_2580.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Sorry Guys- that was a Barren Strawberry, not a Wild One. If a plant doesn't have a label on it like the ones at the nursey, I'm stuck.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Sun hats and shorts are the order down here in Kent today. It's absolutely gorgeous:gardens,hedgerows,fields and woods all coming into leaf and bloom. Wood Anemones in their thousands
photo-15.JPG
photo-14.JPG
Including a bunch of pink ones
P1030558.JPG
P1030559.JPG
P1030557.JPG
P1030560.JPG
With Celandines,Ground Ivy,Primroses,Dog Violets
P1030547.JPG
And at last,a very few Bluebells
P1030536.JPG
P1030538.JPG
P1030525.JPG
This Sun Spurge also caught my eye
P1030510.JPG
As I walked around the wood I listened to Nightingales,Black Caps,Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers all in full song together with Blackbirds,Song Thrushes and Robins. I saw a Treecreeper take a feather to where it is building its nest
P1030553.JPG
P1030554.JPG
I saw three Small Tortoiseshells enjoying the sun
P1030507.JPG
P1030565.JPG
and two Commas and two Peacocks.

I walked along the pathway and saw a male Brimstones heading towards me so I pressed the shutter button on my camera to get a snap of it as it flew past. Nothing happened. The battery was dead. What happened next is a perfect illustration of Sod's Law:rather than fly past and disappear over the hedge, the Brimstone was joined by a second male, they briefly tumbled about each other, then BOTH settled on some Dandelions within five foot of where I was standing and stayed there for a good two minutes!
Bugger.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff Hoggers, loving all the Wood Anemones :D

Cheers

Neil F.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Neil - they're putting on a grand show just now. Not to be missed! Cheers.

David M

Post by David M »

Surprised you didn't see more butterflies given the ideal conditions, Hoggers.

Here in S. Wales, things have remained frustrating all day - fine and sunny till 9.30am followed by persistent cloud cover till 6pm whereupon the sun broke through and blue skies took over. :(

More of the same tomorrow, sadly.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Those days when the sun only comes out just before it sets are very frustrating David. Yesterday was glorious yet no sign of a Small White let alone an Orange Tip - both long overdue. Hopefully not too much longer to wait.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I got home to shouts of "There's a little blue butterfly in the garden!" Sure enough when I went to look I saw a Holly Blue bimbling about along the Ivy hedge. My first sighting for this butterfly in both 2011 and 2012 was 6th April and always in my garden. They behave in exactly the same way, giving me the run around in a game of Hide and Seek,flitting from my neighbours Holly Tree to the Ivy in my garden then to the conifers in the next garden along.

My first Holly Blue of 2013 was no different and led me on a merry dance.He eventually took pity on me and settled, albeit rather inaccessibly, and I managed to get a few photographs before he vanished
IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2646.JPG
If the sun comes out tomorrow I'm sure he'll be back and we'll play our game all over again.

David M

Post by David M »

They really can be a tease, Holly Blues.

Shame this male wasn't lower down as he seems quite content to bask wings open.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Another gorgeous hot sunny day. Out with the dogs this morning I came across eight butterflies in total and all were Peacocks
P1030582.JPG
P1030586.JPG
Back home I caught a few glimpses of the Holly Blue flitting along the gardens but he didn't settle. Nonetheless, a lovely thing to watch.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a Small White yet: the fields where I take the dogs are usually busy with them by now and in past Springs I'll see them and Orange Tips too on my cross-country drive to Canterbury. Yet not a sign today even though the weather seems perfect.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Lots of sunshine today down here in Kent but frustratingly cold. On a long walk with the dogs I saw four Small Tortoiseshells along the river
IMG_2657.JPG
But no other butterflies whatsoever. Although I was pleased to find Cuckoo Flowers on the riverbank
P1030608.JPG
And admired the soft delicacy of its flowers
P1030612.JPG
The absence of Orange Tips was keenly felt.

Up at the wood still no sign of Speckled Woods but there were plenty of Bee-Flys
IMG_2666.JPG
And growing up amongst the Primroses,Celandines and Dog Violets I found this Green Alkanet
P1030616.JPG
P1030617.JPG
Before leaving the wood I couldn't resist taking another photo of the Wood Anemones which are gracing the woodland floor in their thousands
IMG_2669.JPG
But of course what I'd most wanted to see were butterflies,of which there next to none:the sun was shining but the temperature remained stubbornly low. Still,there's always tomorrow.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

When I got up this morning the first thing I noticed was that yesterday's chilly breeze had gone. The sun was shining and at the top of my garden at only 9am it felt warm. I thought that maybe today I'd see some butterflies.

Around 10am I saw my first of the day, a Peacock on my Wall Flowers
P1030692.JPG
I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to see butterflies and bees enjoying the flowers that I've planted especially for them. It's a wonderful feeling. Planting my Butterfly Garden is the best thing I've done in years.

I'd photographed the Peacock and was turning to go when I just happened to look down and see this chap before I would have trodden on him
P1030666.JPG
My first Speckled Wood of the year
P1030672.JPG
P1030667.JPG
And I could hardly believe my eyes when a second flew by, to be quickly seen off the premises by the first.I really wasn't expecting to see two Speckled Woods in the garden today, let alone that one of them should land by my foot.

I clearly do better letting the butterflies find me rather than the other way around.

However, when out with the dogs this morning my good fortune continued
P1030742.JPG
My first Orange Tip of the season
P1030729.JPG
As for many others,the most eagerly awaited moment of my butterfly year is seeing the first Orange Tip. With just one glimpse of this wonderful creature all suddenly seems right with the world. Pure magic.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A quick update on our Blue Tits.

Every night since 16th April our Blue Tit has returned to the box at around 7.30pm to go to sleep until morning. Early on the 27th April we saw that an egg had appeared in the nest which she then left unattended until evening.

Today when I switched on the "Blue Tit Cam" I counted three eggs
P1030760.JPG
P1030761.JPG
She frequently returns during the day but doesn't stay for more than a few seconds. She sometimes partially covers the eggs before leaving.

I don't know whether it's odd or quite normal for a bird to lay eggs and then leave them for the day. I rather thought she'd lay her clutch and sit on them until they hatched.

But then I've read that they will lay up to ten eggs, which I'd guess would be asking rather a lot of a Blue Tit if it had to be done in one sitting...

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

gardening for wildlife is very rewarding, though come the height of summer you won't want to leave the garden in case you miss anything. also come the summer the plants may get visited by night too. Nature is 24/7 :)

Chris

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

An early finish at work today so I stopped off at Wye for a couple of hours' butterflying
photo-16.JPG
Lovely place. My Mum and Dad used to bring me here when I was a babe- in- arms and I've been coming back ever since.

This afternoon I quickly came across my first Early Purple Orchid of the year
IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG
Then the first of three Green Hairstreaks
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2825.JPG
Lovely little butterfly. I hadn't noticed the orange on the antenna tip before.

I didn't see any other butterflies there but on the drive home I saw what was probably a Small White in a garden in the village of Brook.

Return to “Personal Diaries”