April 2013 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
badgerbob

Re: April Sightings

Post by badgerbob »

After the blank yesterday I got to the dizzy heights of 6 butterflies today!! 5 Small Tortoiseshell and a Peacock. 2 Wall larvae as well. Also had a female Merlin on the walk and a Black Redstart on the roof when I got home.
David M

Post by David M »

cambsaurelian wrote:Lets hope for the temperature to soon get above 16 degrees with sunshine!
That might well be late May!!
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

cambsaurelian wrote:Hi,

Lets hope for the temperature to soon get above 16 degrees with sunshine!

Cheers.
No butterflies seen down here today, not as nice as yesterday. But on a brighter note I have just read a weather report forecasting temps of 18 degrees from next weekend in the south :D , fingers crossed.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Saturday 6th was our first search for butterflies this year. Phil and I wandered around Ramsey (Cambs) by the end of it we had counted 2 Comma, 3 Peacock, 3 Brimstone and 14 Small Tortoiseshell.
NickB

Post by NickB »

A few miles of trekking today revealed two Small Tortoiseshell on the Devil's and Fleam Dyke (one on each) and single Comma in my local cemetery.
ST_1_low_DD_8th_April_2012.jpg
The amount of dog s**t on the Devil's Dyke at Newmarket was disgusting; more like a dog toilet than a SSSI. So much for responsible dog-owning!
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

On Sat 6th of April I was gardening and saw five Small Tortoiseshell's, not all at once just over the course of four hour's, trouble is I couldn't get one shot, they landed and took off almost at once. The flowers which should be out now are of course all late. My Wall Flower's have not even opened yet, they landed on the Crocus which didn't seem to be to their liking :) so it looks like I'll have to be patient. At least I saw Butterflies so I feel better for that.
Sunday was a cooler day, no sign of BF and today we had a ride to Southport bitter cold wind, at least the sea air did us good :D
We've had lots of Bee's each day though, Two large Bumble Bee's in the Back Garden and Honey Bee's on the Crocus and small Daff's rain as been forcast but no sign of it here yet. Goldie :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick:
The amount of dog s**t on the Devil's Dyke at Newmarket was disgusting; more like a dog toilet than a SSSI. So much for responsible dog-owning!
I stopped going to Devil's Dyke because of the irresponsibility of dog owners, not just the dog crap. After one dog bounded up on me, (“He's only being friendly!") hit me fairly and squarely in the you-know-where and the pain just about bent me double, I simply gave up on Devil's Dyke.

I make no apologies for my language here. On another occasion, I confronted a dog owner and with carefully chosen words: “Your dog has just crapped in the middle of the footpath”. “What unpleasant language you are using” was the reply. That pretty well sums it up.

And of course, there was the case of a householder who got fed up with having the stuff tossed into his garden. He knew the culprit, carefully packaged the offending item and posted it through the dog owner’s letterbox. He – the householder – was done for a “breach of the peace” or similar.

I have to say that in Scotland things are much better. You only have to report (anonymously if you wish) someone for failing to clear up and the dog owner is investigated. There is far less dog mess here.

Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm squarely behind you here, Jack. I have lost count of the pleasant country walks spoiled for me by so-called "friendly" dogs and/or their residue. The lack of responsibilty by their owners is frightening sometimes: I would like to say it is a minority spoiling things for everyone, but hand on heart, my experience is that the majority of those I come have across do not take proper responsibility and are not in control of their animals.

Dave
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Dave,

Sadly, I must agree with you. I spend a lot of time in the countryside and these problems are not restricted to a minority of dog owners. It is the responsible owners that are in the tiny minority.

When the Steyning Downland Scheme (ex)manager started highlighting the turds (the faeces - not the owners) with pink spray paint (biodegradable) and the notices made by local school children were displayed, pleading owners to clear up after their dogs, the problem became even worse.

BWs, Neil
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I feel like saying 'Don't get me started'. My local site of High and Over, as Neil will know, is a magnet to dog walkers. On the outskirts of Seaford and with one of the best views in the south the footpaths leaving the carpark is a challenge to miss all the mess as well as all the litter left by those stopping to look at the view!! Even worse are those morons that do pick up the dog crap, put it in a bag and then hang it on all the bushes and fences like Christmas decorations where they stay for months.
This evening I did manage to avoid all the crap to get some pics of the wall larva feeding showing the pattern of the grass. It was well after 5pm so the light was past its best as the sun had gone from the bank.
Attachments
DSC_1706 (531x800).jpg
DSC_1699 (800x531).jpg
marmari

Post by marmari »

At Wheelers Bay on the Island I can say that the aftermath of dogs is a serious consideration when looking for Glanvilles in any stage.
Last edited by marmari on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

I like dogs and you can't blame them for what they do instinctively when they're out.

Sadly, it's the owners that are often more feral than the canines they are supposedly looking after.

People these days are simply far more disrespectful to others than they were a generation ago.
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Regarding dog fouling, I was about to suggest that someone might like to investigate starting an e-petition. But a search of the relevant site returned details of a few which already exist. All have negligible support and stand little chance of attracting the required 100,000 signatories, but this one seems the most relevant.

Paul
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Paul. At least that's one more signature!
BWs, Neil
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

speaking of infuriating things, it's not only dogs that make a mess, http://paghambirder.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... grace.html
David M

Post by David M »

Pawpawsaurus wrote:Regarding dog fouling, I was about to suggest that someone might like to investigate starting an e-petition. But a search of the relevant site returned details of a few which already exist. All have negligible support and stand little chance of attracting the required 100,000 signatories, but this one seems the most relevant.

Paul
Trouble is, if it's butterfly enthusiasts vs. dog owners then the latter will always win given their massive numerical advantage.

There are probably no more than 50,000 dedicated butterfly aficionados in the UK, whereas there are probably 10 times as many dog owners who genuinely believe it's their right to let their pets misbehave, run wild and s**t where they like.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if bird lovers became similarly enraged over a sensitive avian site in the UK.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Thanks Paul. At least that's one more signature!
BWs, Neil
And another!
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

David M wrote:Trouble is, if it's butterfly enthusiasts vs. dog owners then the latter will always win given their massive numerical advantage.

There are probably no more than 50,000 dedicated butterfly aficionados in the UK, whereas there are probably 10 times as many dog owners who genuinely believe it's their right to let their pets misbehave, run wild and s**t where they like.
You're probably right, David, and 50,000 may even be an overestimate. But surely people other than dedicated butterfly aficionados find treading or kneeling in malodorous substances to be unpleasant.

If they were all made aware of the e-petition then the signature target might well be reachable.

Paul
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I've not seen a butterfly since March 5th. This weekend looks promising though :D

BC are reporting the first Holly Blue on 6th April, from Dorset. The first time in 10 years the species has not appeared in March apparently.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Not expecting such a good day - the sun came out! Saw 5 Brimstone, 2 Peacock and an ST out and about today....
BR_1_low_Burwell_10th_April_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Sightings”