ChrisC

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ChrisC

Re: ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

my apologies. this isn't mine, nor is it UK, nor is it butterflies but i just think it's bl**dy amazing! nature is such a gift. i dare anyone not to smile or look on in wonder. i just had to share it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nmeYir ... el&list=UL[/video]

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Apart from the funky music that was sublime, mental and at times hilarious 8) :D I can't wait to show it to the girls tomorrow, cheers for sharing Chris!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Reminds me of that time I danced all the way home with a traffic cone on my head! :D Never did go back to that pub again...

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's one hell of a shimmy he's got going on there to impress his girlfriend :lol: Great stuff! :D

David M

Post by David M »

LOL!

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

That's amazing. I always wonder how behaviour like that evolved, although if I was a female spider, I think he would do it for me! :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

A bit like a male belly dancer really, but they're mostly gay.

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:A bit like a male belly dancer really, but they're mostly gay.
How do you know that?

Susie

Post by Susie »

Don't take it as fact. Just most of the ones I am aware of are gay . They're far too good looking, well presented and amazing dancers to be straight. :lol: do you know to the contrary?
Apologies. This is wildly off topic in your diary. Feel free to delete! :-)

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:Don't take it as fact. Just most of the ones I am aware of are gay . They're far too good looking, well presented and amazing dancers to be straight.
:?

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Nothing to report wildlife wise. so an update on the front garden. From about July last year i extended my wildlife friendly gardening to the front lawn. i say gardening but in fact it's more an absence of gardening that i have introduced. i have created a few patches of longer uncut grass. Since then the autumn produced far more grass moths and cranelflies (and quite a few hedgehog deposits) than i have seen out there before. I have bought some wild flowers to plant out there but today decided to leave it as is and see what comes up naturally. I know meadows are supposed to be mown but i think i'm going to go for unimproved grassland rather than a meadow. so now have to find homes for 70 plants in the back garden. should be interesting :) with a bit of luck i'll be able to work out which grass species i have out there this year and keep/amend accordingly.
garden.JPG
i've had good responses from a few passers-by too which was actually quite a surprise.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i don't know how many people have seen this but i started the evening in a good mood til i saw this, very very depressing and I hasten to add upsetting
http://vimeo.com/25563376[/video]

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That IS concerning, Chris. I've read about a region in the Pacific (similar to the Doldrums) where human detritus collects and floats on the surface but if Albatross chicks truly are dying in large numbers due to consuming vast quantities of plastic then it is a vivid example of how one person's laziness/irresponsibility can filter down the line and end up having fatal consequences elsewhere.

Living in Wales as I do, I'm affected by the government's decision to levy a statutory charge of 5p on every plastic bag taken away from a retailer. People grumbled, but within a fortnight practically everyone was taking their own bags to the shops and it is now considered the norm.

The only way to reduce consumption is to tax it. Sadly, I doubt any of the taxes go towards conservation but at least a sizeable proportion of toxic material is taken out of the food chain.

About time England followed suit, I feel.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks for sharing Chris.

I agree, this is not pleasant viewing but it certainly put an important message across ...

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

thought i would get out for a couple of hours this morning as the weather was ok. I went up to my local wood to see how the weather was affecting things. i'm glad i did as it lifted my spirits quite considerably. as well as a calling and flyover tawny owl i also came across a roost of approx 150 redwing and feildfare roost. the noise was amazing. i don't know if they were resting birds heading north but i thought 11am was a bit early to be roosting. The wood itself is a working wood and over the winter they seem to been quite busy. so it will be interesting to see how the butterflies and ground flora flourish

coppicing hazel
coppice.JPG
I noticed they had uncovered what i assume are charcoal burners which were buried last year
burners.JPG
some birch clearance
birch.JPG
i missed the daffs last year but there were quite a few up this year.
daff3.JPG
and it's looking good for the bluebells too, i didn't notice much overlap between the daffs and the bells so whether the ground requirements differ i don't know.
carpet.JPG
despite the footprints in the mud i still didn't see anyone. 3 deer but no people. my kind of place.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Has Spring Sprung
After some good news on a personal front first thing, today just got better. My only real chore of the day was to move the log delivery from the front lawn and top up the log pile.
P060413_09.53.jpg
with that done the sun decided to come out and with it, at long last, some butterflies. first was a Red Admiral, my 1st identified butterfly of the year, followed by 3 Brimstones, a comma was next and then more Brimstone. The only butterfly shot I got was this Brimmy disappearing over the fence.
brim.JPG
I was sat in the garden pretty much all day after that. buzzards overhead, a singing Blackcap, the resident Dunnock pretty much non-stop, and we seem to have acquired a very friendly blackbird that would come to within a couple of feet. 2 pairs of Robins visiting and squabbling over territory with the swaying display adding to the spring like conditions. allegedly it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow, here's hoping.
buzz.JPG
dunnock-crop.JPG
blackbird.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Here's hoping it is warmer tomorrow as well Chris! Mind you if it is I better remember to wear a hat so as to not get sunstroke - I'm just not used to the heat anymore :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Good luck with the woodpile, Chris. Do you get much in there? Mine rarely has much apart from the occasional frog or snail.

I do love listening to the call of buzzards.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I've had 2 male stag beetles visit but yet to see a female but you never know. various holes in the original pile and fungi but to be honest where it's situated in the garden isn't conducive to observation. I just let it get on with it.

CHris

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

a great weekend of wildlife. first cuckoo and willow warblers over Ringwood Forest, A walk over Martin Down produced a Red Kite, first whitethroats, lizard and slowworms, a single white, commas, Peacocks, small Tort and Brimstones.
whitethroat.JPG
lizard.JPG
kite.JPG
incoming.JPG
the buzzards were getting plenty of grief
discolor.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”