jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: jackz432r

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Jack - welcome back!
I reckon you can't go wrong with Bentley Wood for the first three on your hit list - the Eastern Clearing is your best bet. Don't ask me about Green Hairstreaks :( if you find anywhere reliable let us know. I've got some relatives in the Swanmore area so if that local wood produces any goods I'd be really interested to hear about them. :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Probably not the right place to post this but I know it's quite close to both of you. Try Magdalen hill down at Winchester for Green Hairstreak it's a fantastic site for lots of species and at the UKB photographic workshop in 2011 I saw 20+ greenstreaks but if it's any consolation last year numbers were well down at all of my Hants sites . Good Luck :D

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wurzel wrote:Alright Jack - welcome back!
I reckon you can't go wrong with Bentley Wood for the first three on your hit list - the Eastern Clearing is your best bet. Don't ask me about Green Hairstreaks :( if you find anywhere reliable let us know. I've got some relatives in the Swanmore area so if that local wood produces any goods I'd be really interested to hear about them. :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hi Wurzel and Tuts

I have read many of your reports from Bentley Wood, it sounds like a wonderful place. I have not yet managed a visit, but hopefully will this year. Though I have heard it described by some as 'a bit of a circus' in Emperor season!

I have never seen those first three on my list. I will probably try and see the Small and Pearl Bordered Fritillary at sites in the New Forest if I can, It is a bit closer and I can occasionally pop in on the way home from work, hopefully. I am planning to try for Duke of Burgundy in the Noar Hill/Beacon Hill/Butser area, fingers crossed.

I will certainly try Magdalen Hill Down for Green Hairstreak, thanks for the pointer Tuts.

FIRST SIGHTING OF THE YEAR

Today, after several days of bright sunshine first thing in the morning, I managed to get out along my local footapth just before lunch. The sun was quite pleasant and a coat was not required. My first butterfly of the year, a Peacock :D , appeared briefly but did not settle. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be similar and tempt out a few more for a flutter :D

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi jack - congratulations on just about the only sighting in March! Bentley wood is very reliable for PB and SPB and there is a chance of a Duke there during the PB season although they are few and far between. The sites in the new forest were fantastic for PBF in 2011 and I saw literally hundreds - but numbers were very low last year. The site for SPB in the new forest is quite small and again I managed to draw a blank there last year. Noar Hill gets pretty busy in Duke season but is almost a banker with good numbers of a large range of other species Too, not to mention being just a very pleasant site. Bentley Wood does get very busy at weekends in PE season but most people concentrate on the main ride - its a huge site and I have encountered His (and Her) highness well away from the crowds if you are prepared to make the effort :wink:
Kind Regards
Mark.

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuts wrote:Hi jack - congratulations on just about the only sighting in March! Bentley wood is very reliable for PB and SPB and there is a chance of a Duke there during the PB season although they are few and far between. The sites in the new forest were fantastic for PBF in 2011 and I saw literally hundreds - but numbers were very low last year. The site for SPB in the new forest is quite small and again I managed to draw a blank there last year. Noar Hill gets pretty busy in Duke season but is almost a banker with good numbers of a large range of other species Too, not to mention being just a very pleasant site. Bentley Wood does get very busy at weekends in PE season but most people concentrate on the main ride - its a huge site and I have encountered His (and Her) highness well away from the crowds if you are prepared to make the effort :wink:
Kind Regards
Mark.
Hi Mark/Tuts
Thanks for the advice regarding sites. I look forward to meeting the Duke for the first time :wink: Pearl Bordered Fritillary were apparently seen at my local site in Whitely last year, though not by me. They died out there back in the eighties apparently but reappeared there last year, surely this must be an unofficial reintroduction. Maybe I will only have to go just round the corner to see them with a bit of luck :D

Saturday 6.4.2013 My Local Patch

The weather was thankfully as forecast today, bright warm sunshine all day. This morning I walked for an hour along the Itchen Way whilst my son was football training. I have just enough time to walk from Bishopstoke recreation ground to the edge of Itchen Valley Country Park and back whilst he trains. As long as I do not stop too often to look at anything of course. However, today it was still a little fresh for any butterflies to appear between 9 and 10.30.
Itchen Way footpath near Itchen Valley Country Park
Itchen Way footpath near Itchen Valley Country Park
Itchen Way near Itchen Valley Country Park
Itchen Way near Itchen Valley Country Park
This afternoon I got out along my favourite local footpath between Hedge End and Botley between 2pm and 3pm today. I was rewarded with my first Brimstone of the year today, in fact 3 or 4 all males, bringing my species count for the year to 2 so far. Also seen briefly a Peacock/Comma which flew over my head, when I looked up at it I was looking straight into the sun so I did not get a proper view. All sightings to date have been in flight, so no photos to show yet.

Last year I did not officially record any of my sightings ( naughty,naughty me :( :shock: ). I was shown the error of my ways by someone I met at a local site towards the end of last year. So this season I will record all sightings properly, todays and last Sundays are all done. Is it worth me going back over sightings from last year and recording them properly :?: Can you back date sighting reports to last year :?: (comments please)

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

EAST SUSSEX TRIP - PART 1

For a while now I have known that I would be stuck down in the Hailsham area of East Sussex for a couple of days in mid April.With little more to do than kill time for 2 days, a bit of butterfly watching was planned. I had been praying for decent weather, but the recent prolonged cold spell meant that I was not expecting much. A request for suggestions on where to go locally recommended High & Over at Seaford, so I had done a little research on this site beforehand.

Wednesday 17.4.2013 A Full House Of Hibernators At Brede High Wood

So early on Wednesday morning I set off toward East Sussex. The forecast was not the best and Thursday looked like the better day so I decided to leave High & Over till then. I arrived in East Sussex to heavy, overcast skies and disappointment :( , but at least it was not raining - yet. After I had dealt with my commitments I set off to look around and stumbled across Brede High Wood. Brede High Woods is a mixture of habitats covering 647 acres.
Wood Anemone
Wood Anemone
Primrose and Wood Anemone seemed particularly abundant everywhere I looked. I spent a couple of hours looking around in unfavourable conditions for butterflies ie no sunshine. No butterflies seen but plenty of Bumble Bees emerging from holes in the ground, some of them seemed quite keen on me and insisted on settling on me. The sky did brighten slightly but the sun did not look like it was likely to show its face. So I went and had some lunch, at which point it started to rain. After about half hour of rain I could see the sun starting to come through. By about 1.30 the sky was blue, the sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky :D . I decided to have another look, I am glad I did. The first butterflies were a Comma and Peacock duelling and fighting for the best spot to bask.
Peacock, Comma and Brimstone seen in this area
Peacock, Comma and Brimstone seen in this area

I then found an area where there were a couple of Peacocks battling and every now and again A Brimstone would fly through without stopping. Commas were also trying to get in on the action. One of the Peacocks was also not concerned about chasing away massive Bumble Bees which were everywhere. At one point whilst I was standing still, watching all the butterfly activity, I noticed a lizard had decided to use the toe of my welly boot as a basking spot. Unfortunately I was too slow to get my camera into action and missed the opportunity to get a photo.
Comma Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
Comma Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
Peacock Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
Peacock Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
After having a good count of Peacocks, Commas and Brimstones I decided to move on. I ma e my way back toward the car encountering more Commas and Peacocks. I then spotted another butterfly in the distance behaving a little differently, this one was feeding high up on Sallow catkins when I got closer I could see this was a Small Tortoiseshell.
Small Tortoiseshell Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
Small Tortoiseshell Brede High Wood 17.4.2013
I only saw the one and it was the only butterfly I saw feeding during the whole time I was there. It was now nearly 4pm but I still had a little time to kill so I looked around a different area. Here I saw more Peacocks and a single Red Admiral. Last year I did not see a Red Admiral until the end of June so I was quite pleased with this one individual.

Total count for the day:
Brimstone 6-7
Peacock 11
Comma 9
Small Tortoishell 1
Red Admiral 1

I am not sure how I should log my sightings. Hampshire & Isle of Wight BC have an online system but Sussex dont appear to have this? One would think that every branch has the same system, but obviously not.
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Jack, the e mail address for Sussex sightings is sighting@sussex-butterflies.org.uk
Next time you are up this way let me know and I will show you around if I am free.
Bob.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 20.4.2013 My Local Patch
Perfect butterfly weather, the first for quite a while :D . A walk to the local shop at lunch time produced several butterflies. none on the way there, but on the way back I took a meandering route, as one does on these occasions :wink: , and was rewarded. The first of which was my first Orange Tip of the year, closely followed by a male Brimstone. By the time I got home I had seen several more male Brimstone, a Peacock and a couple of unidentified buterflies in the distance. Later on in the afternoon I was pleased that my eldest son agreed to accompany me to check out my favourite local footpath. Another male Brimstone was our first encounter then a little further along 2 Commas. Then to round off the day 2 Small Tortoiseshells fluttering around some Nettles. No photos to show for today though.

On the way back home my son was keen to show me his den. We found the spot, an overgrown out of the way area sandwiched between the corners of a couple of fields and the footpath. In the middle of which was a small clearing with a large twin trunked tree. As we left, my son casually dropped into the conversation that when he had found this place back in February, there were loads of butterflies there :!: 'What do you mean, loads of butterflies' I said. He said that there were 100's of Peacocks just sitting on the tree and not moving. As you can imagine my ears pricked up :shock: . I expressed my disbelief that he had not mentioned it before :x , knowing my interest. He said it was not that interesting to him and his friend. I asked some carefully chosen questions to make sure he was not winding me up. He answered all with the correct responses 8) . I could not get this thought out of my head. I even started to plan in my head to return next winter to see if the spectacle would repeat itself. It was not until a couple of hours later that whilst questioning my son again, that he admitted to conning me :lol: . I had forgotten that he had sat and watched the Monarch programme on the tv a few weeks ago :? I will get him back :evil:
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

:) nice story :)

David M

Post by David M »

What a little tease he is!!

Revenge is a dish best served cold, so I advise you to sow the seeds of revenge right now and let them germinate later on in the year. :twisted:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

David M wrote:What a little tease he is!!

Revenge is a dish best served cold, so I advise you to sow the seeds of revenge right now and let them germinate later on in the year. :twisted:
Sunday 28.4.2013 Botley Wood

I am still trying to think of suitable revenge for my son :?:

In the meantime I managed a visit to my local site, Botley Wood. This is the first time I have visited this year. The weather was not ideal, I missed the best day yesterday. Today it was ok first thing while I watched my youngest play his last football match of the season. But by the time I got out this afternoon it was cool and overcast. In fact the sun remained covered in haze.
The best the sun could offer this afternoon
The best the sun could offer this afternoon
Needless to say I was not expecting much and that was exactly what I got, no butterflies at all :( Sadly, the thing that drew my attention more than anything else was the large amount of litter and rubbish that had been dumped at the entrance to the wood :x Some people have no conscience and no respect for the countryside, absolutely disgusting.
Rubbish at Botley Wood today
Hopefully the weather next week will prove more enticing.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

EAST SUSSEX TRIP - PART 2

Thursday 18.4.2013 High & Over, Cradle Valley
DSCN6842 - Copy.JPG
My second day in East Sussex was spent at High & Over and the Cradle Valley. This site was recommended to me by 'badgerbob' and 'sussex kipper' (thanks again). Situated on the south downs between the village of Alfriston and Seaford. The very steep slopes to the south overlook the Cuckmere River, I believe they are used for hangliding at times.
The View Across The Cuckmere River
The View Across The Cuckmere River
To the north Cradle Valley is perhaps less steep and more sheltered and stretches some distance to the west. There are short grazed downland turf, scrubby areas, longer grass and wooded areas here. There is also plenty of bare chalky ground with Cowslips and Violets. Ideal for butterflies I would say :D but maybe not today
View looking east along Cradle Valley
View looking east along Cradle Valley
I tuned in to the local weather in the morning 'bright sunny start with a strong wind gradually giving way to cloud with heavy showers in the afternoon'. I thought I had better get up there asap. I arrived at the carpark to wind, the strength of which nearly took my car door off and me off my feet. It was also already quite cloudy at 10am. My first thoughts were that it was not going to be a very successful day for butterflies :( . A quick look out at High & Over over the Cuckmere river and I knew instantly that nothing would be flying here, too windy. I found my way across the road to Cradle Valley walked west along the valley for an hour, where thankfully the wind was much less noticable. However, I did not see a single butterfly :( . I did manage to find several Bloody Nosed Beetles, including a group of 5 right next to the track.
Bloody Nosed Beetle
Bloody Nosed Beetle
In this sheltered valley there were areas where I could not feel any wind at all. I started back to the car and got nearly as far as the road before I saw my first butterfly of the day, :D a Comma. This was in a very sheltered spot just away from the main track. I stayed here to observe for a while and it was joined by another Comma, a Peacock and one Small Tortoiseshell.
Comma Cradle Valley 18.4.2013
Comma Cradle Valley 18.4.2013
Small Tortoiseshell Cradle Valley 18.4.2013
Small Tortoiseshell Cradle Valley 18.4.2013
Comma Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock seen in this sheltered spot.
Comma Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock seen in this sheltered spot.
As yesterday only the Small Tortoiseshell was seen feeding, on the abundant Violets in this particular area. Occasionally a battle spiralling skyward would ensue. I returned to the car for some lunch. Despite the forecast, all the while the sky was becoming clearer and perhaps less windy. By mid afternoon there was hardly any cloud. I returned for another look after lunch, this time walking further west and finding another hotspot where Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell were fighting for the best basking spot on a chalky track. One particular Small tortoiseshell was very ragged indeed but still managed to chase away the approaching Peacocks. A little further on and the track became distinctly more wooded in feel. I thought I might be in with a chance of seeing a first Speckled Wood of the year here, but I had to be satisfied with more Commas. Strangely no Brimstone seen today at all.
Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock fought for control of this chalky track
Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock fought for control of this chalky track
Very Ragged Small Tortoiseshell
Very Ragged Small Tortoiseshell
Spending so long on site here I saw various unusual characters come and go during the day. There was the well dressed chap who pulled up in the carpark only to pull a skateboard from the boot of his car, he spent 10 mins on his board in the small carpark and then went on his way. Late in the day a campervan pulled in. The occupant then proceeded to dispose of three large bags of rubbish in the small bin in the carpark. He then hung his clothes out around the van to dry or air and then began to empty various unknown items from various containers into the bushes :shock: . Of course he parked right next to the 'No Overnight Stops' sign, he was still there when I left. Then there was the workers in the vineyard opposite Cradle Valley who descended to the small wooded area near the track to do their business as I walked past :shock: , seemingly unaware that they were only a few metres from a walking route, and in full view.

In a couple of weeks this site will be a joy, but I think it will be a while before I get back to have another look. If I get the opportunity I would certainly love to spend some more time here :D

Total Count for the day:
Small Tortoiseshell 4
Comma 3
Peacock 5

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Well, last Sunday I managed to pick the only afternoon for butterfly watching, that had no sunshine at all :( . It has been sunny and warm nearly every day since, whilst I have been at work. I have seen plenty of Whites and Brimstones out and about this week, all too far off for id though.
I am hoping to get out and see some butterflies at least once this weekend. In between family time and kids football training etc. Sunday looks like my only window, unfortunately that looks like the worst day. The forecasts I have seen indicate mostly cloudl :(

Saturday 4.5.2013 My Local Patch
I manage to get out for an hour at lunch time today around my favourite local footpath. The conditions were perfect with bright warm sunshine :D . Not far from the house I spotted a white flying up the footpath. This one settled and I was able to get close enough to identify it as a Small White (first confirmed one of the year) Further on, where the footpath is much more wild and less busy, I spotted my first Speckled Wood of the year.
Speckled Wood Hedge End 4.5.2013
Speckled Wood are one of my favourites and I was a little concerned that I had seen none so far this year. This one brought a smile to my face :D . A little further on I found 2 more Speckled Wood. I spent a little time observing this pair. At one point one of them was nectaring from a Dandelion, something I have not seen before. I then checked out the area where last week I had seen Small Tortoiseshells flying around a patch of nettles. No Comma, Peacock or Small Tortoiseshells at all this week :( .
Monday ( the best day of the weekend) I am expected to spend all day at Chessington World of Adventures, so no chance of any butterfly watching there. Tomorrow I hope to get out and maybe see the Duke ( I have never met him before) perhaps at Noar Hill or Oxenbourne Down, fingers crossed :wink:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 5.5.2013 Oxenbourne Down
Today I woke up to overcast skies, this was not a surprise of course. The forecast had already warned me that today was not the best day of the weekend, but I had to make the most of it. I fancied meeting the Duke today for the first time, my best bet probably was to head for Noar Hill, but in an effort to avoid the crowd I thought I would try Oxenbourne Down. I believe there is a colony of Dukes there and after my success with the Silver Spotted Skipper at this site last summer, I thought I would try my luck :wink: .
I had told my wife I would be going out midmorning and would return sometime after lunch. Unfortunately our communication had gone wrong somewhere, she went shopping at 10am and did not return till 12.30 :cry: Just to rub salt into the wound, the sun came out and stayed out whilst I twiddled my thumbs and waited :x I had now missed the best part of the day :x . On her return I rapidly drove off in the direction of Oxenbourne Down, slightly miffed :( . I took the quick route down the motorway, rather than the scenic route cross country. The sun was out all along the coast, but by the time I had arrived at Oxenbourne Down the sun had given way to cloud.
A couple of male Brimstone and a male Orange Tip flew by as walked from the car. The sun briefly showed itself before disappearing again. I was now feeling quite wound up and needed to relax a little. As I entered the site through the area that was alive with butterflies last time I visited last August, I was surprised not to see any butterflies at all. I searched everywhere and found nothing. Through the the broken gate at the top, I made my way left along the track at the top of the ridge. This area too had been alive with butterflies last August but today nothing.
Oxenbourne Down
Oxenbourne Down
Thankfully a male Brimstone then appeared over the treeline :D , he kept me company for some time. Seemingly not interested in feeding, but keen to investigate any light coloured object in the vicinity. Stones, leaves and clumps of dry grass were all fluttered around for a few moments before he moved on in search of his female. I pressed on along the track further than I had explored last summer. The further along the track I got I started to see more and more Cowslips as well as lots of Gorse and Buckthorn. I also came face to face with someones wildlife camera, hopefully they had more luck :shock:
Whos watching Who!
Whos watching Who!
Cowslips at Oxenbourne Down
Cowslips at Oxenbourne Down
Female Brimstone Oxenbourne Down 5.5.2013
Female Brimstone Oxenbourne Down 5.5.2013
A female Brimstone then appeared, briefly flying and then sinking down into the undergrowth, where it stayed for some time. I thoroughly searched the area and found Cowslips quite abundant in several locations, but no Dukes. I saw at least one more female Brimstone, a couple of males and another male Orange Tip flew through, but that was all despite lots of searching. What a difference a few months makes :o . The sun was now starting to make an impression but still hardly any butterflies. Although this is a lovely site, I started to make my way back to the car feeling mildly disappointed :( . I got almost within site of the exit when something small zoomed in, settled a little way ahead and stayed just long enough for a photo. My first Grizzled Skipper of the year :D :D .
Grizzled Skipper Oxenbourne Down 5.5.2013
Grizzled Skipper Oxenbourne Down 5.5.2013
I hunted a while longer but did not see any more. I will perhaps try again in a week or so but think I should probably visit Noar Hill to have any reasonable hope of meeting the Duke.
Tomorrow I have to spend the day at Chessington World Of Adventures, so no chance of any butterfly spotting :(

Total count for the day:
Orange Tip (male) 2
Grizzled Skipper 1
Brimstone (female) 2 (male) 5

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 6.5.2013 Chessington World Of Adventures
Chessington World Of Adventures was not a total loss. The weather was gorgeous and I did spot a few butterflies. Plenty of Orange Tips and other whites seen fluttering around the abundant garlic mustard as we were queing in traffic to get in. Whilst on our first ride of the day my eldest sons voice rang out 'Dad! Brimstone' he called as he pointed out correctly one of several Brimstones seen. He surprises me at times and obviously has his priorities right :wink: Also seen my first Large White of the year and one Holly Blue flying through the Rameses Revenge ride.

Saturday 11.5.2013 Itchen Way/Itchen Valley Country Park
This week the weather has been reminiscent of June and July last year :( . Cool with rain and wind, miserable! hopefully it will not last much longer. Today thankfully the weather was not as bad as forecast. I walked my normal Saturday morning route along the Itchen Navigation from Bishopstoke to Itchen Valley Country Park whilst my youngest son did his football training. Some prolonged sunny spells meant there were a few butterflies around :D .
Speckled Wood Itchen Way 11.5.2013
Speckled Wood Itchen Way 11.5.2013
Green Veined White Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
Green Veined White Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
Several Speckled Wood seen together with both Small and Green Veined White. Small White in particular seemed very flighty and would only settle briefly. A few male Orange Tips all seen within the country park.
Orange tip Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
Orange tip Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
Orange Tip Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
Orange Tip Itchen Valley Country Park 11.5.2013
There are several clumps of Garlic Mustard along this route on which today I found Orange Tip eggs :) , as I did last year in the same location ( butterfly eggs are unfortunately beyond the capabilities of my camera). I found 5 today but I imagine if I had searched for longer I would have found more.
Orange Tip ova Itchen Way 11.5.2013
Orange Tip ova Itchen Way 11.5.2013
Last year the Orange Tip eggs here reached the stage of almost fully grown larvae before the growth along the track was hacked down and most were lost :x . I believe that this particular part of the track is privately owned and provides vehicle access to a private fishing area and farmland. I wonder if the same fate is likely to befall this years generation :( , should I attempt a rescue mission :?: Any comments on this are appreciated

Total count for the day:
Speckled Wood 3
Small White 1
Green Veined White 2
Orange Tip (male) 5 (ova) 5

This all brings my species count for the year to date to 12:
Comma
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Small White
Large White
Green Veined White
Speckled Wood
Holly Blue
Grizzled Skipper

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

So, in anticipation of some GOOD WEATHER next Friday :wink: I have booked the day off :D . I suppose thats a sure fire way to get the weather to turn even nastier :lol: Some serious butterfly time is planned, so everything is crossed :? :shock: Rake Bottom, Martin Down and Bentley Wood are all beckoning as I have never visited, but I have not decided where to go yet. Hopefully I can fit in a second site as well.

Nothing much to report so far this week, but yesterday I happened to be working not far from a site in the New Forest known for Pearl Bordered Fritillary. Once the mornings downpours had stopped, I thought I might have time after lunch for a quick look, but as is always the case I was running late :( So I had to be satisfied with a 10 minute stop for lunch, in the car park at Wootton Bridge. Luckily a couple of male Brimstone fluttered around the edge of the car park, in the afternoon sunshine :D .

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 18.5.2013 My Local Patch
The weather was unexpectedly good today, cloudy but with plenty of warm sunny spells. My youngest son had a football match in Totton this morning. I watched the match with one eye whilst the other kept an eye on the shrubs along the edge of the playing fields. Lots of whites of all types including Orange Tips, Speckled Wood and Holly blue all seen between 10 and midday.

This afternoon my wife accompanied me for a walk (a rare occurence) along my local footpaths at around 4pm. She can not do rough ground, but I managed to steer her in the direction of where I had seen Small Tortoiseshells fluttering around a nettle patch a couple of weeks ago :wink: There were again 2 or 3 Small Tortoisehells fluttering around the same area, though looking a little more tired now.
Small Tortoiseshell Larval Web Hedge End 18.5.2013
Small Tortoiseshell Larval Web Hedge End 18.5.2013
Despite looking, I did not find any eggs last time. Today, however, a quick look revealed at least 3 larval webs :D I will monitor their progress.

Perhaps somebody reading this could confirm that they are Small Tortoiseshell larvae. I have never found any before today. I am surprised that the eggs were laid in such an exposed position. This Nettle patch is certainly not the lushest or the largest in the vicinity. It is also not the most sheltered Nettle patch and is in full sun pretty much all day. Is this typycal :?:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 19.5.2013 My Local Patch
The sun did eventually appear today around 4pm :D Just a few Speckled Wood and Green Veined Whites seen along my local footpaths
Green Veined White Hedge End 19.5.2013
Green Veined White Hedge End 19.5.2013
Speckled Wood Hedge End 19.5.2013
Speckled Wood Hedge End 19.5.2013
I also found, what I believe to be, a Magpie Moth larva. It would not keep still and as a result I only managed this rather poor photo :(
Magpie Moth larva Hedge End 19.5.2013
Magpie Moth larva Hedge End 19.5.2013
Also first Large Red Damselfly of the year in the garden and a pair of Beautiful Demoiselles fluttering around a local stream, again first of the year :D Hopefully by the end of next weekend I can add a few more species to the list.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

jackz432r wrote: Today, however, a quick look revealed at least 3 larval webs :D I will monitor their progress.
Perhaps somebody reading this could confirm that they are Small Tortoiseshell larvae. I have never found any before today. I am surprised that the eggs were laid in such an exposed position. This Nettle patch is certainly not the lushest or the largest in the vicinity. It is also not the most sheltered Nettle patch and is in full sun pretty much all day. Is this typycal :?:
Hi Paul/Jack,

They certainly look like Small Tortoiseshell larvae and one of the requirements for the female is a plant which is located in full sun. It would be great if you could monitor them and report progress, because they appear to be one of the early batches of the season.

Many thanks,

Vince

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck on Friday Jack :D I'd recommend Bentley Wood for Pearls there were another 5 reported today and if the weather isn't brill you might be able to find them roosting. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”