A better day at work

Discussion forum for sightings.
Philzoid

A better day at work

Post by Philzoid »

On Friday whilst at work I was amazed to spot out of a window a bird which I initially took as an odd Pied Wagtail but very quickly realised was something quite different :o . Gesturing wildly to get people approaching to back off didn't work but the bird only moved about 20 yards and I was to approach it close enough to see it was a Black Redstart :shock: :D . I pointed this out to a work colleague and UKB'er Mildheart who is also a keen birdwatcher. Fortunately he just happened to have his camera at work that day so was able to get these lovely shots of a resplendent male 8) .
2013.03.22 IMG_8811 Male Black Redstart, AHVLA New Haw, Addlestone.jpg
2013.03.22 IMG_8820 Male Black Redstart, AHVLA New Haw, Addlestone.jpg
Mildheart informed me the Black Redstart breeds in derelict sites. If this is true then the next few years should be good ones for them (under this lot running the country :P ). Our workplace is already starting to look the part (piles of rubble scattered amongst the glass and concrete) so fingers crossed he hangs around for a female and sets up shop rather than just passes through. :)

Phil
David M

Re: A better day at work

Post by David M »

I've never seen that species of bird, Phil (nor even heard of it). Is it a migrant?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Not sure how to describe it myself David :? . My kingfisher guide to birds describe it as a colonizing summer visitor. Largely passage migratory in spring and autumn with fewer than 100 pairs breeding (in urban derelict areas) and some remaining to overwinter around Southern coasts. Overall I would say it is pretty rare but can be seen if you know where to go or you just get lucky like I was

This is my second ever sighting. my first was when I was 12 years old in Bertchesgarden (Germany) on a school trip. I remember it had a captivating song and as I was watching it I completely forgot the time :shock: and got a roasting from the teacher when I eventually turned up back at the coach :oops: . It's been a long time for my second sighting

The RSPB (link below) may be useful http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... index.aspx
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Black Redstarts do migrate, but are also present throughout the year in south-east England. They normally nest on cliff ledges, but have adapted to breeding on large buildings [not always derelict] in England and throughout Europe. I believe there is still a pair that breed on the power station at Dungeness, in Kent.
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

The bird seems to have moved on, I've not been able to find it in a couple of brief searches today and yesterday. Bit of a shame, as there is quite a lot of promising looking breeding habitat at work at the moment as a result of redevelopment work that has been left half-finished by government cuts. I've seen one at work before, a female about 4 years ago that didn't want to pose for the camera. That was also in March and was also a one-day bird.

For those that are interested, the photos were taken using a Canon 40D with a 400mm f5.6 lens and a 1.4x converter. Using the converter in that set-up meant that I had to manually focus and so most of the shots were soft. The one in the bush came out the best.

I haven't been on UKB for months due to the winter hibernation and work. I haven't seen a butterfly yet this year but since I found out today that the funding for my MSc project has been scrapped, I might be on here a bit more in future.

Clive
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Philzoid wrote:Mildheart informed me the Black Redstart breeds in derelict sites.
Apparently, Black Redstarts became quite common on London bomb sites, in the years following the war. There is one currently visiting Farmoor Reservoir near Oxford, and I photographed one last year at the same site.

Mike
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Mildheart wrote:I've seen one at work before, a female about 4 years ago that didn't want to pose for the camera. That was also in March and was also a one-day bird.
He turned up again today (as you know) so I'll be taking my camera in tomorrow :D
MikeOxon wrote:Apparently, Black Redstarts became quite common on London bomb sites, in the years following the war.
. The place he's hanging around resembles a bomb site :roll: . a great mound of bricks and mortar that used to be our library, gradually going back to nature :D
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

For those who read my personal diary you will have realised that Dungeness is my local patch. I can confirm that Black Redstart is a regular Spring passage bird at Dungeness with 5 birds present this week. In a normal year you would be unlucky not to see Black Redstart mid March to early April, usually around the Power Station perimeter fence, or the approach road to the Observatory. Park near the Old Lighthouse and wander around the general area for your best chance.
They do like old buildings and in previous years I have been lucky to see them on derelict buildings at Battersea (London) and Ashford old railway works. They have been isolated instances but proving that they can, and do, turn up anywhere in the South East. They can be very tame and give great views with patience.
Dave

PS Nice photos Mildheart.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

There's been a very good passage of "Black Reds" (as we birder types know 'em :wink: ) this past week or so. Portland have had double figures the last few days (8, 9, 23, 12 being the daily tally for earlier this week), all migrants coming in off the continent. Unfortunately Phil, the chances of your bird staying for more than a few days is slim. So saying, there's been one in a Banstead garden for the past 5 days so it could loiter whilst the weather is being all stupid.

Cracking birds, hoping to pick one up for myself this spring.

All the best,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find the Schwarzrottstarten it helped me get a A in my German spearking GCSE - "In mein freiziet ich bin ein Vogelseher und mein lieblings vogel is das Schwarzrottstarten!" It was probably wrong but showed that I was trying to learn vocab outside the ordinary :D .
Hope you find it tomorrow!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Quite unbelievably, by pure chance I walked past a singing Black Redstart in Epsom this morning. It's on my route into work so I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not it stays overnight. They're still passing through at Portland today - there's a clip of the song here http://www.xeno-canto.org/100012

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Blimey Gibster, with luck like that what shall we talk about next, Pine Grosbeak? (No point in saying Camberwell Beauty with weather like this).
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Pine Grosbeak would do very nicely indeed. Only ever seen them in Canada (and that was in 1996). I shall be sure to check the ornamental conifers around my work's depot! :D

Return to “Sightings”