Lulworth Skipper flight period

Discussion forum for sightings.
cambsaurelian

Lulworth Skipper flight period

Post by cambsaurelian »

I plan to go down to Lulworth Cove this year to see Lulworth Skipper. Can anyone with recent experience with this species tell me the best time to try? I've been doing a little research and it's a little confusing. All of the books I own state that the flight period is July and August with a peak in early August. The recent 'Video Guide to the Butterflies of Britain and Ireland' state that now the flight period is much earlier, in May. Is this because just before the video was recorded there was a very warm Spring resulting in an earlier emergence that year, or is this much earlier flight period now the norm?
David M

Re: Lulworth Skipper flight period

Post by David M »

The flight times for this species don't seem to correlate with those published in the literature.

Neil (Sussex Kipper) saw 150+ on 9th June at Lulworth Cove, whilst I know Wurzel also saw some in August at the same site.

Neil's diary entry last year gives a pretty comprehensive report:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=720
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

After talking with several people (including Neil), it would seem that the flight period has been "stretched" forward. I say this because individuals are still seen in August - some quite fresh. On that note, it also seems that the flight period is site-specific, with some sites being particularly early, and others particularly late! I know this doesn't really help - and all I can suggest is that you keep an eye on various sightings pages and analyse sightings for previous years. BTW - I updated the phenology chart to show this spread (not that this really helps!):

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... ies=acteon

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Cambsaurelian?
I saw my first Lulworths last year at Bindon Hill in the second/third week of June. They were also in the grasses west of the car park below the footpath to Durdle Door. My second lot were on the cliffs actually on the Cove itself during the first week of August. This seems to be an early site, later in the season they emerge at Durslton Country Park if you check their website they have a daily sightings update. Hope this helps, good luck!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi there,
I have had some recent experiance of these skippers,and i can confirm,for a single brooded species,the flight period is remarkably long!
I have seen them late May early June after a warm spring,and,still in excellent condition,in mid August last year.
In short,i would suggest late June and July for Bindon Hill,which over looks Lulworth Cove itself,and late July to mid August at Durlston CP,would be most reliable.
Search all areas of long grass and flowers at these sites,Lulworth Skippers are easy to find once you get your eye in!
Cheers.
cambsaurelian

Post by cambsaurelian »

First of all many thanks to David M, Pete Eeles, Wurzel and essexbuzzard for the fast replies and all the helpful advice. I've only been a member of this forum for a day, and I'm really impressed with the friendliness all have shown. I do want to see this species at Lulworth Cove/ Bindon Hill, so it's there I'll try first. I got the impression that Lulworth could have an earlier flight period than other sites even though this species range is small, but it's good to have other people also suggesting this. It seems to me that if I pick a warm sunny weekend between mid June and mid July, I should be successful.

Thanks again.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi

I visited Durlston Country Park several times in 2010 when filming for my DVD on British Butterflies and I saw Lulworth Skippers in reasonable numbers in july in the area I think called the gulley down towards the sea from the vister centre. They were in long grasses on the hillside above the gulley itself in good numbers. I discussed the question of flight period with the wardens who stated that this species can be seen at Durlston from the end of May all the way through into the beginning of September with a very long flight period.
We also found Lulworth Skippers in the meadows along the butterfly walk.
If the timing is correct it's also possible to find Adonis Blue, Small Blue and Chalkhill Blue plus Wall at Durlston in a day.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Paul

Post by essexbuzzard »

Finding a warm,sunny weekend could be the hardest bit!
But take heart. Any area sheltered from the wind should provide sightings at these sites,provided it's not raining and temperatures are reasonable. Though bright conditions are best,Lulworths are not entirely dependant on sunshine.
nomad

Post by nomad »

A female Lulworth Skipper resting below Bindon Hill in 2011
A female Lulworth Skipper resting below Bindon Hill in 2011
Hi
Has anyone been to the Burning Cliff/Ringstead bay area on the Dorset Coast to see Lulworth Skippers? I visited there in Early July in 2011 to photograph this species because I have read that it occurred there in some numbers. I searched high and low but did not see any. It was flying further along the coast at Durdle Door and at Bindon Hill but not in any numbers.

Peter.

Return to “Sightings”