Great Pictures Pete

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
wclinch

Great Pictures Pete

Post by wclinch »

Having also made a trip to Scotland for Chequered Skipper (9th -12th June) with the weather hot and sunny throughout I took many many photos of the skippers but the standard just does reach that of Pete's excellent shots. Well done Pete. I would appreciate what settings you used.

From Scotland I travelled to Norfolk for Swallowtail which was also a new species for me. The weather had cooled considerably (c 15 degrees) and they were just not flying. I did manage to see four over a day an a half with a few snatched photo's in a 40Sec window of opportunity.

On my return journey home to Swindon I visited Hockley Wood (Essex) for Heath Fritillary (3rd new species) which were abundant and a very easy to photograph.

Wayne
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Flattery will get you everywhere. My settings anyway :)

Seriously - thanks for the complements. All I can say is that I've had some good teachers over the years, whilst out "in the field". Aside from the technical aspects, I'd also stress the importance of understanding your subject, your ability to "stalk", willingness to get out (if you don't look, you won't find!) and, most importantly, luck :)

So - the "default" settings I've used this year are:

- No flash at all (unless absolutely necessary). This is the biggest change from last year, where I used flash for everything.
- ISO 200
- Shutter priority (Tv)
- 1/250s
- Exposure compensation -2 stops

And well done on your new species. I'm trying to photograph all UK species this year, but Real's Wood White is going to be my downfall, since I don't have the time (or money) to travel to Ireland. But everything else is on the cards, and I've managed to photograph everything that's flying so far, pretty much.

Thanks again Wayne!

Cheers,

- Pete
wclinch

Great Pictures Pete

Post by wclinch »

I have always stuck to aperature priority but I will try Shutter priority this weekend at Finemere for Black Hairstreak. My equipment is a Canon 20D and Canon 100mm Macro. I do think that most of my problem with the Chequered was either camera shake or subject movement (wind) so I think a faster shutter would have improved these.

Which focus mode to you use?

I am also missing the only the Real's Wood White so far but I think it will have to wait another for another year.

Where do you intend to go for Northern Brown Argus and Large Heath?

Ps Your Early Flight time Chart is great help to organising your butterflying

Wayne
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I have a Canon 30D, and a 10D as backup. Sigma 105mm macro lens.

I tend to use autofocus for most things, but quickly switch to manual when necessary. I use autofocus to get the subject more-or-less in focus and, with the focus locked (hold the button half way down) move the camera as needed to get the right piece absolutely sharp - which is normally the subject's head.

I'll be going to Meathop Moss for Large Heath, and Arnside Knott for Northern Brown Argus. But I'l love to get myself up to Scotland to see the artaxerces subspecies.

Glad you like the Early Flight time Chart. Most of the items on the website are there because I find them useful too. I thought others might like access to the same info, and that's how this website was born!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Photography”