What Camera

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Denise

What Camera

Post by Denise »

I have been using a little HP compact camera, 5mp with 3x zoom. It takes some lovely scenic photo's but it's a bit rubbish for wildlife. I have used it with my scope for birds and that's not too bad, but terrible for butterflies.

I am a total novice at cameras and anything too technical, so could anyone here give me any advice on a fairly simple first SLR camera. I have reserched a bit and have found that Nikon and Cannon seem to be popular, but which one?

I know that I sound thick, but what are the differences in the lenes? It's all double dutch to me.

I want to be able to take some good shots of what I see.

Thanks in advance
Denise
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Denise I hope you've got deep pockets :lol: Your right, Canon and Nikon are without doubt the best. You can pick up a Canon 400d for about £450, But if you want to get the best out of it, don't scrimp on a cheap lens.
A proper Macro lens is the best sort of lens for butterflying, I and half the people on here use a Sigma 150 Macro f 2.8 DG. Thats another £330.
You know your probably going to start another Nikon v Canon fight :lol:

Gruditch
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Round 1.
I'm an ardent Canon fan and so this opinion is totally biased. I swapped from Nikon to Canon when I swapped from film to digital. I researched a number of web sites not least of which was http://www.fredmiranda.com/ and magazines before I made up my mind.
The main advantages that Canon had are: less noise at high ISO values (I regularly use 400 and 800 ISO) and faster and more accurate autofocus.
Currently I own a Canon 400D and although its not rated as highly as the professional range of Canons, for the money its a superb camera, in fact its a much better camera than I am a photographer. I've never used the Sigma 150 macro lens so its not possible to comment but I will say that Canon lenses are very highly thought of as well
Cheers
Dave
JKT

Post by JKT »

It really does not matter which system you choose, just don't choose Nikon D40. It's choice of lenses is a bit too limiting.

There is nothing wrong with Olympus, Pentax or Sony bodies either, but the lens choices are not as good as with the big two.
Malcolm Farrow

Post by Malcolm Farrow »

Hi Denise

Have a good read of other posts on this site devoted to this subject. Most DSLRs are potentially suitable but Canon and Nikon have the largest systems and therefore options available to you. Third party makers tend to make more stuff for the 'big two' also.

I'd try and narrow your choice down a bit and then actually try the equipment, whether in a shop or, ideally, in the field somehow. A lot comes down to whether the camera feels 'right' to you and whether the controls seem easy and straightforward.

Recommendations for a lens are again somewhat down to personal preference (and budget!) as much as anything. Dedicated macro lenses are best for insect photography, and focal lengths of 70 - 200 are suitable with a crop sensor DSLR. 100mm is a nice compromise between weight and working distance, but there are plenty of fans of longer focal lengths (e.g. the Sigma 150mm and others) out there - a lot depends on how good you are at making a stealthy approach!

I favour Nikon because I like the cameras and equipment but there's plenty of equally valid alternative views - the secret is really to do the research and then try the gear for yourself.
Malcolm Farrow

Post by Malcolm Farrow »

I meant to add that there are also some excellent books on macro photography out there - well worth checking out if you're new to all this...
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks guys.

I am not going to rush out and buy one just yet, but I think that i'm leaning towards Canon.
Thanks for you input. Going to read a bit more before I make a final decision.

Denise
Denise

Post by Denise »

Oh, and just to add Malcolm. I have got very good at a stealthy approach. My little HP camera won't zoom on macro mode so I have to get the camera lens about 8inches from the subject to get a decent photo.
It has caused much hilarity in my household! It has been as much luck than judgement that I get any photo's.

Denise
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Denise
Whilst I am a die-hard Canon DSLR fan, I really think you should give some serious attention to some of the "Bridge" cameras around - they are not DSLRs, but are quite chunky and equiped with decent lenses.
Some great photos have been taken with them - look at Jack Harrison, and FlyByWire.
Also Mike (I think) Kipling who may/may not be a member of this group, but posts on UKLeps (Yahoo group) from time to time.
I cannot remember waht they use, but I am sure they will post following this one!
Roger Harding
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks to everyone who answered me.
I have harassed the local camera shops and handled quite a few cameras.
Thanks Roger for giving me the idea of a bridge camera. You are right, they are chunky but not heavy, and the one that I ended up buying has an amazing lens. It is an Olympus SP-55OUZ. It is a far better camera than I am photographer, but I hope to gain a lot of experience and have a lot of fun in the process of learning more about digital photography. I hope that I do this right and show a few of the pics that I have taken in the garden in the last couple of days.

These are so much better than my little old camera, but not yet to the standard of this site. I hope to improve with time.

Denise
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

Hi everyone.
I just thought i'd share that i prefer to use a Compact (Sony DSC-W55) camera, as the macro is fantastic on it, and as it is much smaller, you don't end up scaring away a Butterfly so easy, and you can get really close. Also if i wanted to take long-range shots with my Compact, i just find my Camera adapter and attach it to my Binoculars (a pair can really help in the field).

Here are some Macro shots i have took with my Camera:

Image Image Image

Return to “Photography”