White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is the final part of a series of topics, which have been growing over 20 weeks throughout the winter, aiming to cover all of the 59 UK species. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

White-letter Hairstreak

This is my favourite shot for White-letter Hairstreak from 2012 for several reasons.
First it’s only the second White-letter that I’ve photographed.
Second it was in a lot better nick than my first White–letter (if far too distant for my liking).
Thirdly it was taken at Alners Gorse and brightened the afternoon after plenty of futile hedge staring.
Finally it’s been joined by a Meadow Brown and a Brown Hairstreak providing a rare shot indeed! Having said that I’d still prefer a really close up shot of a fresh individual.
White-letter Hairstreak.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I was lucky in 2010 to find several colonies of this lovely butterfly along the River Cuckmere including a colony in an elm next to a flowering bramble bush. For the 2 years I managed a few decent shots and was also able to point other enthusiasts in the right direction. Unfortunately, Dutch Elm Disease has returned with a vengeance and have taken several 100 trees out including the one by the bramble bush!! I'm still getting sightings but most are high in the trees which is so typical of this species. Here are a few of my favourite shots when the elms were still numerous. It is not looking particularly good for the WLH here.
Attachments
DSC_0414 (800x530).jpg
DSC_0272 (800x531).jpg
DSC_0206 (800x531).jpg
DSC_0123 (800x531).jpg
DSC_0067 (800x531).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I always have trouble finding this species, and slice of luck presented itself in the form of a chance to drop into Bedford Purlieus (a wood near Peterborough) on 1st August whilst en route to York. I had no idea where to go in the wood, but came upon a lovely ride which sported a lot of butterfly activity including numerous Silver-washed Fritillaries. However, posing on a thistle there was a single White-letter Hairstreak, the first I had ever been close to. Looking up, I could see another couple dancing around an elm, and my one soon joined them - but I had some photos.

Dave
Attachments
WLH1 resized.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

badgerbob wrote:I was lucky in 2010 to find several colonies of this lovely butterfly along the River Cuckmere including a colony in an elm next to a flowering bramble bush. For the 2 years I managed a few decent shots and was also able to point other enthusiasts in the right direction. Unfortunately, Dutch Elm Disease has returned with a vengeance and have taken several 100 trees out including the one by the bramble bush!! I'm still getting sightings but most are high in the trees which is so typical of this species. Here are a few of my favourite shots when the elms were still numerous. It is not looking particularly good for the WLH here.
Lovely shots those, Bob, in a year where few people got close to this elusive species.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Is this the hardest to photograph of the British butterflies? I've spent more time looking for it than any other, but have never yet managed to photograph the adult.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:Is this the hardest to photograph of the British butterflies? I've spent more time looking for it than any other, but have never yet managed to photograph the adult.
All your Christmases come at once with this species. If you drop lucky and find it at an observable level, you can approach it to practically within touching distance and can get superb, close up shots. This is not a butterfly that is easily disturbed.

So, it is abnormally EASY to photograph, however the problem, of course, is finding it in an observable position in the first place...
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for your comments David. All these shots were taken over 2010 and 2011 before too many elms had been felled. 2012 was a bit of a disaster with only one photo taken of one resting on an elm leaf.
You are totally right though that if you find one nectaring they are often more than approachable. The male hairstreak, the bottom of the pictures, was nectaring for over an hour on the thistles and was totally oblivious to two of us taking loads of pics at very close range. Its just a case of finding one at ground level. Both years that I was seeing them regularly, and 2012 I was spending many hours patrolling the area trying to find one down often without any luck!!
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I have to go back to late June/early July 2010 for my favourite photo of a WLH...
For some reason (I suspect that recent rain had washed aphid honey-dew off the leaves), just about every WLH seemed to come down to take nectar from low-growing plants at a site in west Cambridgeshire. There were at least 100 adults down at eye level at any one time the day I visited and I have a photo somewhere of 12 individuals on one single marjoram plant! I doubt I'll ever see such a mass collection of this species again.
WLH2010.jpg
I did go back in 2011, but it was like a totally different place and the hairstreaks stayed in the treetops.

Trev
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I didn't do so well for WLH in 2012 for two reasons. First the dreadful weather which dominated during the very short flight period,and second,i went to Croatia during the flight time as well.
However,i did manage one,far from perfect,photo of an adult at Hadleigh Castle Country Park,near Southend. This is a reliable site for seeing adults down on bramble blooms etc. 2011 was a great year here,with a good 50 near the ground, including two mating pairs on 23 June,but this photo is all i managed in 2012,although as i said,i missed the main season.
Attachments
june 28 005a.JPG
nomad

Post by nomad »

essexbuzzard. I would very happy with your far from perfect shot? I think this is good photo of this rare butterfly and love the accompanying ant. I hope to visit that locality next year and hopefully will have some luck.

Regards Peter.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks for your comments,Peter!
I have been photographing adults reliably here for about ten years now,but Hadleigh Castle CP is quite a large site,so feel free to PM me nearer the time for more info. ,if you like. They are usurally out from about 20 June,and peak about ten days later.
Also the nearby woods have Heath Fritillaries...
It is a long way from Swindon,so check the forecast before you come. We are next to Southend,so a forecast for there should be as reliable as any.
Here is a photo from 2011,taken with my other camera:
Attachments
lt june erly july 11 069a.JPG
nomad

Post by nomad »

essexbuzzard. Gosh, a mating pair of White-Letter Hairstreaks, a very lucky find and a very lovely photo. Thank-you for your offer of help and I will certainly PM you nearer the time. I will hopefully get some good weather at the end of June and spend a weekend searching for WLH at Hadleigh Country Park.

Regards Peter.
David M

Post by David M »

Agreed, that's quite a photograph.

It's hard enough to find single individuals available for imagery much less a mating pair!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys!
Well i'm afraid i can't promise a mating pair of WLH at Hadleigh,but i (nearly!) can promise WLH at eye height,given good weather. 8)

Return to “White-letter Hairstreak”