Brown Argus - Too explicit???

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Pauline

Brown Argus - Too explicit???

Post by Pauline »

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Hmmm ... unusual picture...

That looks like they are just about at the point of separation.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Pauline

Brown Argus

Post by Pauline »

Hi Cotswold Cockney

If you'd like to see them in any other position I could probably oblige having taken so many shots of them.
Pauline
NickB

Should we start a Bonking Blues forum....

Post by NickB »

And people ask how we get our kicks!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickB

10 seconds later....

Post by NickB »

A quick after-*** fag.....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Re: Brown Argus - Too explicit???

Post by Susie »

How much of their insides generally gets shown on the outside when mating? Is that normal?
Cotswold Cockney

Susie wrote:How much of their insides generally gets shown on the outside when mating? Is that normal?

With many species of butterflies, the males' genetalia can be very prominent and exposed immediately prior to, and during copulation. With some butterlies, the Purple Emperor ( Apatura iris ) for example and many others in that group, normally have their claspers ( which grasp the female's abdomen during copulation ) neatly tucked away at the tip of the abdomen. When the male is excited, the claspers are extended and opended much like a minature hand with which it firmly ( very firmly ) grasps the terminal segments of the female's abdomen. The claspers in our own male Swallowtail are also quite large and not so neatly tucked away when not in use. They open very wide and large prior to gripping the female's abdomen, with deep indents where the claspers grip the softer segments of the female's abdomen.

I have observed the copulation process ( mostly in captivity ) of many species of butterfly and in every case the grip is always very firm ~ firm enough to avoid accidental separation should the couple decide to take flight whilst joined. I also suspect that the grip is so firm that forced separation would result in torn genetalia of both sexes resulting in death.

Duration of copulation can vary enormously. From an hour and a half maybe two ( Purple Emperor ) to sometimes in excess of twenty four hours ~ ( Marsh Fritillary ). I have sometimes observed the actual separation and in the case of the Purple Emperor, there is sometimes a very fine mucus fluid like connection between the two sexes not unlike the very fine thread you sometimes see when using some glues such as Uhu. This takes quite an effort to sever occasionally.

In the case of the Purple Emperor and many other species, a quick check of the female's abdomen after separation can confirm if the mating has been successful with traces of the male's spemataphore transfer visibly present in the female's abdomen. In some other species, the Apollo for example, there is a large apendage attached to the female's abdomen after copulation which reminds me of the tailskid on old fashioned biplanes of World War 1 era..... :)
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you for that, it was an wonderful explanation. :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Cotswold Cockney wrote:In some other species, the Apollo for example, there is a large apendage attached to the female's abdomen after copulation which reminds me of the tailskid on old fashioned biplanes of World War 1 era..... :)
Matt has a good picture of a mated female Apollo's sphragus on his apollo page, here:

http://www.eurobutterflies.com/species_pages/apollo.htm

And for anyone who missed it before, I've got a video of some kinky blue-on-blue + ant action here:

http://www.guypadfield.com/movies/idasant073.wmv

For much of the time, the male is clinging on for dear life only with his bottom...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

padfield wrote: For much of the time, the male is clinging on for dear life only with his bottom...

Guy
It's a good trick if you can do it!

I have always wondered what had happened to this silver washed fritillary. The rear end looked very sore and red (although the butterfly was quite happy to feed so it couldn't have been that bad). I don't know if you can see it from the photograph but I would love to know what had happened to it if anyone can enlighten me.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

The sex brands (made up of androconia scales - which contain the pheromones that the male uses to attract the female) also seem to be quite prominent - suggesting that this chap has already enticed one or more females! All in all - I'd like to think that this chap has passed on his genes to the next generation!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Let's hope so, Pete! :D

I've got a series of these two trying to get separated. It looked like a real struggle.

Cotswold Cockney

Susie wrote:
padfield wrote: For much of the time, the male is clinging on for dear life only with his bottom...

Guy
It's a good trick if you can do it!

I have always wondered what had happened to this silver washed fritillary. The rear end looked very sore and red (although the butterfly was quite happy to feed so it couldn't have been that bad). I don't know if you can see it from the photograph but I would love to know what had happened to it if anyone can enlighten me.

Have observed something similar in captivity. I suspect that male has very recently separated from a female partner.

If a male feeds well soon after mating, its strength can be recharged so much so that it can successfully mate with and fertilise one, maybe two or more other females. In captivity, a 'good' male Purple Emperor can successfully mate with and fertilise several females provided it is fed correctly between each mating and has a few days to recover between each pairing. In captivity, such a male will live and stay healthy for over a month. It needs at least a week of feeding and exercise before it is ready for successful mating. Matings prior to that essential period required to become sexually mature result in an infertile or low fertility female.

Return to “Competitions”