A question of identity

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Mark Colvin

A question of identity

Post by Mark Colvin »

A question of identity …

Some years ago I inherited several collections of British Lepidoptera, which have now been donated in their entirety to the Hope Department of Entomology at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History (OUMNH). The collections came from two respected English entomologists, now sadly both deceased. The combined collection contained a number of very interesting items, one of which is pictured below. I know what I think it is but I’m interested to know what you think it is?

Over to the experts …

I have a feeling I may get more than one answer on this …
UKB.jpg
Image copyright OUMNH. Photographed by Katherine Child, Hope Department of Entomology.
JKT

Re: A question of identity

Post by JKT »

The only thing that comes to mind is P. bellargus ... so what I am missing?
David M

Post by David M »

Is it some isolated race of adonis blue, now extinct?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My guess would be bellargus X corydon as it seems to have features of both, though a flight time of early June seems odd.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:My guess would be bellargus X corydon as it seems to have features of both, though a flight time of early June seems odd.
I've heard of this but have never seen a photograph of one. I'd expect any such hybrid to show some characteristics of chalkhill blue though. The one above looks purely adonis to me (though what do I know?)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

JKT wrote:The only thing that comes to mind is P. bellargus ... so what I am missing?
The colour is completely wrong. It's the same colour as I can see on my screen :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I'll not comment on the identification, as I've already discussed the matter with Mark, but here's an image of bellargus x coridon, otherwise known as ab. polonus. It was taken on Mill Hill on 19th May 2010 and remains the rarest butterfly I have ever seen ... and probably the rarest I will ever see.
Neil
UKB bellargus x coridon, Mill Hill 19.5.10.jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote:I've heard of this but have never seen a photograph of one.
Kipper found one (19-May-2010): gallery/images/upload/2f8e8be4455f386d1 ... 54cb14.jpg

And here's one on the web: http://www.lepiforum.de/cgi-bin/2_forum ... d;id=94108

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that, Pete.

What a stunner. How rare is this hybridisation between the two?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David,
One of the leading authorities on aberrant butterflies told me that only about a dozen specimens have ever been recorded (UK and Continent), although another expert in the field reckoned on at least twice this number. Either way, it's extremely rare. I spotted it from c.30 metres away (it stood out clearly amongst the many Adonis) and scrambled up the steep slope rather quickly, suspecting it must be polonus. By the time I closed in on it my hands were shaking with excitement, so I was very relieved when some of the images came back sharp. Larger files show it to be scale-perfect.
BWs, Neil
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

If we're still guessing, I'd speculate on an aberrant Adonis blue rather than a hybrid. In the Cockayne Collection there is an ab. argentea that seems to have the deep blue replaced with a silvery tone, though it's difficult to judge colour from the pictures there.

Coincidentally, the Cockayne argentea was also taken at Folkestone, eight years previously.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm sorry if I'm being completely thick here (which to be fair, is highly likely!), but can someone explain the differences between Kipper's "Adonis" and the standard model? I know Adonis Blues can vary a great deal in colour according to wear and the angle of the light, so wondered if there is something else from the coridon side that distinguishes this one.

Is it right that the cross only occurs at the same time as the first generation of Adonis? Is this because the Adonis genes dominate? Are these butterflies crosses between male Chalkhills and female Adonis or vice versa?

I have a few pale-looking specimens of Adonis photographed (though none all that well). You can't help wondering... :)

Dave
Attachments
Denbies 16th August 2009
Denbies 16th August 2009
Denbies 21st May 2010
Denbies 21st May 2010
Mill Hill 2nd June 2012
Mill Hill 2nd June 2012
David M

Post by David M »

If it IS aberrant, then there's nothing jumping out at me other than the less intense colour (which you would naturally expect in a many decades old specimen).

Put us out of our misery, Mark.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Dave,
In the image below I've marked the left forewing in red with the features that scream coridon. However, the biggest giveaway is the ground colour, which is literally a mix of bellargus and coridon. Your images of typical Adonis illustrate the difference well.
UKB coridon features.jpg
Hi David,
The colour of old butterfly specimens remains almost undiminished IF they are shielded from ultraviolet. Well-preserved collections, protected from museum beetle etc and kept in cabinet drawers, can look amazingly fresh even after 100 years. Have a look at some of the images of Oxford specimens currently being transferred to the galleries. Mark's specimen is in excellent condition and the colour is probably pretty 'true'. Abnormal ground colouration is the basis upon which many aberrations are named.

BWs, Neil
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Neil. I can see now the broader black borders around the forewing which are straight from a Chalkhill!

Considering how similar the females of the two species are, I imagine any female crosses would be almost impossible to detect.

Dave
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Dave,

I forgot to answer your other question, "Is it right that the cross only occurs at the same time as the first generation of Adonis? ". Of course the actual act of hybridisation occurs during the second generation of Adonis, as this is the only time when both bellargus and coridon are on the wing. But yes, the hybrid only occurs in the adult stage at the back-end of the subsequent year's first brood of Adonis. Mine was an unusually early specimen (not that the sample is very large!), given that most polonus occur in June.

Will a female polonus ever be recognised? That must be a "no"!

BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote: Hi David,
The colour of old butterfly specimens remains almost undiminished IF they are shielded from ultraviolet. Well-preserved collections, protected from museum beetle etc and kept in cabinet drawers, can look amazingly fresh even after 100 years. Have a look at some of the images of Oxford specimens currently being transferred to the galleries. Mark's specimen is in excellent condition and the colour is probably pretty 'true'. Abnormal ground colouration is the basis upon which many aberrations are named.
Is it an aberrant based on its ground colour then?

Must admit, the hue resembles that of Common, rather than Adonis, Blue.

Please don't tell me those hybridise as well. :x
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,
David M wrote:Must admit, the hue resembles that of Common, rather than Adonis Blue. Please don't tell me those hybridise as well.
Just to add to any confusion ab. pallida, Austin (1890), = pallida, Mosley (1896), is a form often referred to as a hybrid between icarus and bellargus.

Sorry ...

Kind regards. Mark
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi David,
David M wrote:Must admit, the hue resembles that of Common, rather than Adonis Blue. Please don't tell me those hybridise as well.
Just to add to any confusion ab. pallida, Austin (1890), = pallida, Mosley (1896), is a form often referred to as a hybrid between icarus and bellargus.

Sorry ...

Kind regards. Mark
You're a real tease, Mark. :(

Can these two genuinely hybridise? I know icarus is genus polyommatus but I had always thought bellargus was lysandra until I read this thread.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Dave,

...Of course the actual act of hybridisation occurs during the second generation of Adonis, as this is the only time when both bellargus and coridon are on the wing. But yes, the hybrid only occurs in the adult stage at the back-end of the subsequent year's first brood of Adonis. Mine was an unusually early specimen (not that the sample is very large!), given that most polonus occur in June.

BWs, Neil
I suspect you probably can't answer this, but does polonus spend the winter as a caterpillar (like bellargus) or as an egg (like coridon)? It must be one or the other. As a hybrid couldn't it exhibit the trait inherited from either parent, and not necessarily appear with the spring bellargus brood? Is it at the back-end of that brood because it overwinters as an egg, but hatches earlier than coridon and so emerges as an adult earlier? Could its rarity be something to do with the vulnerability of its caterpillars appearing at the "wrong" time?

We'll probably never know! :(

Dave

Return to “Identification”