Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Hoggers

Post by essexbuzzard »

And also Erysium Bowles Mauve. It flowers virtually all year and is a hit with the Nymphalids. Be sure that the site gets as much sun as possible in Spring and Autumn,as well as Summer.Sometimes people forget this. Sadly,my garden gets no sun at all by September,and therefore no butterflies.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It was only last week that I took up Gardening and it has already opened my eyes to some of the things that are going on there, things I would almost certainly have missed. For example, an early sign of Spring: Yesterday I found a Primrose had come into flower by the garden path
P1020091.JPG
And this morning I found this curious specimen had reared its head out of the mud
P1020101.JPG
(I believe it's a Cuckoo Pint)

The Red Clover that I bought is definitely beginning to grow
P1020106.JPG
And so too the Garlic Mustard and Sorrel
P1020104.JPG
P1020109.JPG
All of which is very exciting as the butterflies will not be far behind.

I think I mentioned that buying plants has now become a bit of an addiction for me, so Susie and Essexbuzzard, it was impossible for me to resist ordering the Vebena and Erysium. You guys don't have shares in a certain Garden Centre, by any chance..?!

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:an early sign of Spring: Yesterday I found a Primrose had come into flower by the garden path!
Just seen one in flower myself today, Hoggers.

I went looking at properties at Langrove on the Gower peninsula and there were two primroses flowering in the shelter by the car park.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

These days an early finish at work for me means another visit to the Garden Centre with further dents in my credit card. I have come to relish the whole process, from reading about plants that are suitable for a butterfly garden, looking them up on the internet, planning where they might be happy in my garden and finally rooting around the nursery with its lovely damp, peaty smells, until I find the plant I'm after. It's great fun.

Here is an ensemble photograph of my collection so far
photo-7.JPG
Today I added a couple of Buddleia weyeriana ( Sungold ) which has gorgeous golden flowers rather than the usual purple and a Viburnum bodnantense. I bought this because I was thinking about Red Admirals and Co and it flowers late into the Autumn.

Also Hebe
P1020116.JPG
Ice Plant ( I bought Sedum spectabile as I read that some types do not produce nectar )
P1020117.JPG
I followed Susie's recommendation and got some Vebena
P1020120.JPG
And also Essexbuzzard's suggestion to buy Erysium
P1020121.JPG
I will be getting some Marjoram, Lavender and Yarrow. Not all of these will fit comfortably in the flowerbeds that I created after Christmas but I've plenty of room around the garden to accommodate them ( I hope..)
photo-9.JPG
I said that buying plants is fun and of course, it is. But best of is dreaming about how they will look come Summer.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

In July when I'm sitting in my garden sipping Pimm's, surrounded by fragrant flowers, idly watching Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Red Admirals frolicking amongst the blooms, it will be nice to look back to January in my diary and comfort myself with thoughts of how well shot of Winter I am
photo-12.JPG
For this is the sight that awaited me this morning, my plants all iced up, snowed under and transformed into vegetarian popsicles.

Only the Valerian in my conservatory look anyway near happy
photo-10.JPG
photo-14.JPG
Brrrrrrr!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I awoke to a chilly view from my bedroom window
photo-20.JPG
My butterfly garden hidden beneath a blanket of snow.

But If the snow does not particularly impress me it was nonetheless sufficient to inspire my Basset Hound to leave his couch for an all too rare gambol
photo-17.JPG
I later took a walk through my usual butterfly patch
photo-30.JPG
Difficult to believe that it's here I see my Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites, Brown Argus, Common Blues, Commas, Speckled Woods and three species of Skipper.

Then on to the river
photo-25.JPG
where I see my Orange Tips and Whites.

But all rather bleak today
photo-24.JPG
Although there were plenty of Winter birds including Redwings, Fieldfares, lots of Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Linnets, a lone Buzzard and twenty Teal on the river.I also saw a Hare and a Fox.

I'd much rather be watching butterflies but it's not long to wait before Spring arrives and I can look back at these icy snaps, shudder, and feel glad that Winter has passed.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On my drive home from work today I was saddened to see a Hedgehog dead in the road. It was a large one and very recently killed. I expected them all to be hibernating, especially during this cold spell.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hoggers wrote:On my drive home from work today I was saddened to see a Hedgehog dead in the road. It was a large one and very recently killed. I expected them all to be hibernating, especially during this cold spell.
That always makes me mad. It is very easy to avoid hedgehogs as they don't exactly dash out in front of you! I wonder if people deliberately drive at them. Strange to see one at this time of year, though.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Even before I'd hauled myself out of bed this morning I guessed there'd been an overnight thaw as the garden birds were cheeping away after being very quiet during the cold snap. Sure enough, my garden was all but clear of snow
photo-37.JPG
and I could see my plants again
photo-36.JPG
It was lovely over the fields, such a contrast to last weekend
photo-34.JPG
photo-32.JPG
Plenty of Winter birds including a Green Sandpiper along the river, a Buzzard and a flock of Fieldfares. Of insects I came across some near-invisible gnats but that was all. Still, this sunshine gives me hope that it won't be too long before I see my first butterfly of 2013. Fingers Crossed!

David M

Post by David M »

That's some contrast in the space of just 24 hours! Let's hope we've seen the last of the heavy snowfall for this winter.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Every morning I read Derwent May's "Nature Notes" in The Times. I think he's a wonderful writer with a deep understanding of the British Countryside (Im sure im not alone in this opinion). Yesterday he wrote about Chaffinches and how they should now start to sing after a long quiet spell. I set off to Canterbury after reading this, parked in the work's car park, opened the car door and was greeted by a Chaffinch singing out, loud and clear, from a near-by tree! Mr May clearly knows his stuff and it was such a delight to hear my first Chaffinch of the year.

A less happy article in today's Times tells me that the Hedgehog is on the verge of extinction, it's decline being comparable to the demise of the world's tiger population. I haven't seen a live Hedgehog for years. They were once common in my garden. I think I will have to see what I can do to encourage them back, if there are any left here abouts.

The article goes on to say that recent heavy rain has waterlogged their nests, which may explain why the Hedgehog I saw dead in the road last week was not in hibernation.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today I'm "working at home" which usually means not doing much work at all, particularly when the sun is shining. When I saw how pleasant a morning it was I convinced myself that a long walk with the dog would set me up for the paperwork that awaited me, so off I went, down to the river which was running high after the recent rain
photo-39.JPG
It really was a lovely morning
photo-41.JPG
Not far from here I often see Barn Owls. On occasions, they hunt perilously close to a busy road, causing my heart to leap into my mouth whenever I see them coming within feet of fast moving lorries.

But as for today, the Fieldfares that have been here for the last few weeks have moved on, although a few Redwings remain in the Hawthorn bushes. My Common Buzzard flapped lazily across to the trees .I say its "My" Buzzard because it seems to have taken up residence here. Buzzards around these parts are now rather common whereas, say ten years ago, they'd have been a rarity.

I also saw a flock of Magpies, some sixteen birds strong, hopping around in the field. I've noticed how at certain times of the year they gang-up into quite large groups. I also spotted a Carrion Crow sitting close to one of last years' nests, perhaps eyeing it up for this year.

My best sighting of the day was a group of Golden Plover which came wheeling overhead, calling and filling the air with their beautiful melodious voices. Over recent years the numbers of Golden Plover and Lapwing that visit these fields has diminished considerably, so they are a welcome sight.

When I got home I decided ,after careful consideration, that to rush into a bout of paperwork would be rash and that a spot of gardening would be my wisest move. I therefore ventured out and gave my flowerbeds a turning over with a fork ( forks , I have discovered, are far more "Worm Friendly" than spades )
photo-38.JPG
I'm hoping that by Spring, these beds will be just right to receive my new plants
photo-40.JPG
I saw a few insects in the garden, some glass-like tiny flies and some sluggish Bluebottles, and could hear a Mistle Thrush, Robin and Dunnock singing close by.

A very nice day "working from home"!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i just remembered something i meant to mention a while back. one recurring problem i have with my borders is grass, so unless you enjoy weeding (or degrassing) may i suggest a membrane/ barrier/ mulch of some description.

Chris

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Chris, I will keep that in mind.

I saw my first Bumblebee of the year today but it was in a most sorry state, flat on it's back on a path in the rain,drenched, legs weakly waving up at me. I carefully moved it to a dry patch under a hedge and hope it recovered.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On this cold February day, with nothing better to do with myself, I decided to see how many different flowers I could find growing wild where I walk my dogs. I think I'm just pining for Spring, twiddling my thumbs impatiently and in need of some colour.It seemed like a bit of fun too: had you knocked at my door this morning and asked me "How many flowers do you think you could find growing wild today?" I'd almost certainly have answered "None".

I should say by way of a disclaimer that I'm not a Botanist by any means:I'm about as skilled in identifying wild plants as I am in telling Essex from Small Skippers, so apologies in advance for any errors.

The first flower spotted was a White Dead-Nettle
P1020135.JPG
Followed by quiet a few Red Dead-Nettles
P1020160.JPG
P1020161.JPG
Groundsel
P1020157.JPG
(which I'd never have noticed had I not deliberately set myself the challenge of finding anything in flower)

Common Field Speedwell added a welcome, delicate colour
P1020172.JPG
Daisy
P1020184.JPG
A battered Buttercup
P1020151.JPG
And a single Dandelion
P1020192.JPG
The flower I'd most hoped to find was a Snowdrop. I remembered seeing them last year and have been keeping an eye open for them so far but with no luck. I returned to the spot today and there they were
P1020185.JPG
P1020187.JPG
P1020190.JPG
Lovely!

Lots of Lesser Celandines by the river and I found they'd put up several flower buds but all were closed up tightly, so I didn't count them.

On the drive home I passed a Gorse bush in full flower too, giving me a Grand Total for today of Nine Flowers.

Nine flowers on 2nd February: I'd never have thought it (and I bet I missed some too - perhaps those really tiny ones that you have to lay down flat on the ground to see? Too cold and wet for Hoggers to do that today!)

But Good fun.

David M

Post by David M »

Been doing something similar myself today, Hogggers, though I can't compete with your total.

Lots of daisies in flower here in Swansea, along with copious gorse. I saw 4 dandelions in bloom and a few snowdrops, but the first daffodils and celandines are still probably a fortnight away.

Susie

Post by Susie »

I enjoyed your flower photos, Hoggers. Spring is just around the corner :-)

Poor old bumble, I am pleased you moved it to a place of safety under the bush. I hope iit survived.

One of the problems bumbles have in cooler weather is getting enough 'oomph' to achieve lift off. Ideally if you find a bumble it is a good idea to put it somewhere up high so they can 'get the revs up' and then jump off to achieve lift off. The bush should have been okay though because they can climb up something like that :-)

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for your comments David and Susie. I must say that it never occurred to me that the Bumblebee might need help with "Lift Off" ! That's something I will remember in future. My heart went out to the poor thing, it was in such a sorry state.

My little Botanic Adventure yesterday sparked a distant memory: I recalled a Winter's day several years ago when I found a beautiful yellow flower growing in a wood close to my home. It's a wood that I hardly ever go to now: last time was many months ago and that was in Summer.I thought it worth going back there today for a look.

To reach the wood I had to cross a boggy field and in doing so disturbed several Snipe.

I then came across this "Thrush's Anvil"
P1020195.JPG
Here's a close up
P1020196.JPG
I haven't tried to count the shells but would guess there's over sixty. I guess this is a sign of just how hard the last cold spell was here (particularly for the local snails!)

Then I came across these young trees all of which showed signs of damage from bark stripping
P1020198.JPG
Lots of rabbit droppings in the area so I guess the damage was caused by hungry rabbits.

Having crossed the field I came across this ferocious looking clump
P1020203.JPG
I've never seen such a profusion of thorns: straight out of a Fairy Tale.

Then some Catkins
P1020201.JPG
Finally I had reached the wood. I clumped about in a vague fashion,surprising a Woodcock into flight, until I found a small group of Snowdrops
P1020209.JPG
And there close by was the flower I was after
P1020205.JPG
P1020207.JPG
P1020213.JPG
Winter Aconite. What a Beauty! And my 10th flower of this February Weekend.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

February, perhaps, is not the best month to go looking for wild flowers, although I've kept myself amused these last few days by doing just that. By Sunday I'd managed to find 10 flowers and if I include the catkins, my total reaches 11.

I got home early today so decided to walk the dog in part of the field that I didn't cover over the weekend. There I found Flower Number 12
P1020225.JPG
Now is this a Scentless Mayweed? My book shows a picture which appears to match the flower but goes on to say "not aromatic". Yet my experience of this plant is that it has a strong, attractive scent which is most noticeable when walking through it on a hot Summer's day ( Ah! Sweet Memories! )

I also came across an interesting-looking plant which I think is some type of fern but I haven't got a book to help me with its identification.
P1020215.JPG
It's the only one in this area, so rather unusual for the location and was living on the far side of a shady water-filled ditch.

I did find an insect. As I arrived back in the garden I saw this chap catching some sun on my living-room window.
P1020221.JPG
It was bitterly cold out there and February is a tough month, so I found myself admiring this hardy fly that somehow has managed to survive through the Winter.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

What a Glorious morning! The harsh, bitter winds of last week had blown themselves out, leaving not a puff behind.The air was warm and friendly. "All's right with the World" I thought, setting off down to the river, my imagination conjuring up an early butterfly or two. It did seem warm enough for butterflies,it was so Spring-like, but they remained in my imagination ( and will do for the time being a least).

I was really on the look out for flowers, as last week I'd noticed a Lesser Celandine flower bud and I wanted to see if this morning's sunshine had enticed it to open. Down on the riverbank I discovered that it had, if only a little :
P1020259.JPG
P1020260.JPG
P1020258.JPG
I was very happy to see it, a harbinger of Spring and like the smiling face of an old friend.

Quite a few birds were about : Heron, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer, Chaffinches, Meadow Pipits,Gold and Bullfinches, Little Egret, Wren,"my" Buzzard, 20 Teal and a singing Greenfinch.

Next, I went in search of Snowdrops and found that they too had taken encouragement from this beautiful morning and opened out:
P1020270.JPG
P1020269.JPG
P1020271.JPG
P1020273.JPG
Wonderful.

My sap is on the rise!

Return to “Personal Diaries”