Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the offer David- if I can earn enough Brownie points I might be able to take you up on it :D

You're right the Devon HBFs are closer but East Blean sounds like more of a spectacle and also I wanted to see if I can still rough it like I used too :wink:

Good luck with the NBA , Chequered and the Blackstreak they're all on my "hit list" but it will be a while until I go for them :D

Have a goodun
(2013 that is)

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year!! :D

Let's hope it's a cracker for butterflies!
1 Calendar 2013 Jan.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

You're whetting my appetite, Wurzel (along with 2013's first sighting made this morning on the Isle of Wight).

Surely, after several years' poor summer weather, we must be destined for something a little kinder this time?

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Archaeoprepona demophoon

When I originally photographed this species it was one of four butterflies at a feeding station. One was a Blue Morpho, the other some sort of Heliconius and then there were two very similar looking butterflies. The first I eventually identified as Prepona laertes. I was under the misconception that this was the same species but once I started looking through the photos at home I realised that they weren’t the same species. With further research it became apparent that they aren’t in the same genus even but belonged to the genus which Prepona is thought to have evolved from – the Archaeoprepona. The Genus Archaeoprepona can be separated from Prepona as they have sub-marginal oscelli in each cell and the males have black androconial scales, in Prepona they are yellow so at least this was a relatively easy set of features to start with.

So from Genus to species...At first I thought this was the White-spotted Prepona, also known as the Turquoise-banded Shoemaker – Archaeoprepona amphimachus (Fabricius, 1775). But something about the under wing didn’t look quite right, the images I saw of A.amphimachus showed the wings to be almost two different tones with the much darker half at the leading edge. That didn’t match up with the shots I saw and I went through search after search until I came across Archaeoprepona demophoon (Hübner, 1814) – commonly called the Two-spotted Prepona or Hübner’s Shoemaker of which there are 6 subspecies. In fact some consider it to actually be subspecies of A. meander. I’m getting mightily confused by all of these sub-species, races, colour morphs and synonyms just make it even worse!
138 - Copy-001.JPG
170 - Copy-001.JPG
069 - Copy.JPG
This species ranges from Mexico to Paraguay where it can be found in Tropical to subtropical forests. They fly in hot sunny conditions (all of which can be easily reproduced “under glass”) and the imago has a life expectancy of up to 8 weeks in the wild, so possibly longer in captivity They are the fastest flying butterfly reaching speeds between 30 and 50 mph so getting shots would seem to be difficult. However they feed on sap runs, rotting fruit as well as dung and carrion and when feeding they can become so engrossed that they are oblivious to their surroundings. When coming down to fed they leave the canopy and descend in a series of smaller steps, stopping off for a minute or two at various points before reaching the deck.
196 - Copy-001.JPG
I think that this is a male as it is perched with its wings half open and it’s head facing down which is a posture commonly shown by males.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Nice to see you getting interested in some exotica ...

As you mention, this can be a difficult group to identify to subspecies level with a number of regional forms. Checking my references, I think yours is probably Archaeoprepona demophoon ssp. mexicana (Llorente, Descimon and K. Johnson, 1993); though I'm not 100%. I have photographed A. demophoon myself, along with the One-spotted Prepona, Archaeoprepona demophon ssp. centralis (pictured below).

I look forward to your next instalment ...
UKBP1100928.JPG

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

what a load of cobblers...... well you did say it was a shoemaker :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mark for a confirmation of the id, I ended up staring at Google images and various other websites for what felt like hours and my eyes felt like they were bleeding before I finally got there! A.demophon rings a bell as I came across it while looking up this species. If I remember correctly Hubner ( or one of the other "finders" made a mistake when he named this species as demophon had already been used so due to the rules of precedence in Taxonomy he had to go back to the drawing board...
I also had to do a double take when I read your message the first time as I read it on my iPod screen and it didn't scan as exoitica.:shock: :lol:

Cheers Chris :D There are some Waxwings round your way at the moment so keep your eyes peeled (it was on BirdNews).

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I’m finding it quite hard to write about the “captive” butterflies in my usual style. True they are stunning creatures and certainly have the wow factor about them but I miss the chase, the expectation anxiety and there is no interesting habitat or weather to talk about and less emotion, less buzz with the exotics. Still what they lack in these factors they make up for in interesting behaviours, and they provide an opportunity to find out something new as well as complicated identifications...

Heliconius?

I started off thinking that this species was Heliconius erato (Linnaeus, 1758), the Small Postman. When I looked at the under wing shot a bit closer I wasn’t happy that the red spots actually numbered four as one looked like a small dash almost as if one spot had been damaged which would mean that it had three spot. Also the white marking didn’t reach anywhere near the wing margin. These features made me think that it wasn’t the Small Postman but was just a Common Postman, Heliconius melpomene (Linnaeus, 1758).
166-001.JPG
This species is one of the heliconiine found from Mexico to South America and has up to 30 sub-species showing a huge range in variation in the wing markings and this one could be H.melpomene rosina? The species has an erratic flight and is found in open areas in forests and can be locally common along river edges and streams. This along with the fact that it roosts communally is worth remembering for possible photograph opportunities in butterfly houses.
It is very similar to Heliconius erato and both have similar bold markings on their upper wings which demonstrate to potential predators that they are both toxic. In fact all of the information above holds true for H.erato so if I’ve got the identification wrong no worries! :wink:
They look similar to each other because they are actually co-mimics. I remember reading about them in the book Dazzled and Confused which was recommended by Pete. Despite there being so many different sub species/colour morphs of H.melopmene spread throughout Central and South America there are H.erato mimics to match all the geographical variations. Indeed genetic studies have shown that the wing patterns are associated with a small number of gene loci which are homologous in both H.erato and H.melopmene so this could be parallel evolution. This is thought to be due to Mullerian mimicry. By sharing the same warning livery the species share the cost in educating predators that they are both toxic . If a butterfly tastes bad which has red and white stripes it doesn't matter to the predator whether it's H.erato or H.melopmene they'll avoid both and so a nasty mouthful next time and in this way both species suffer less from predation overall.
142-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Tiger-striped Leafwing

When I wasn’t sure about the identification of this species I just labelled it as “Tiger” because of the striking markings on the upper wings. It is a Tiger, the Tiger Striped Longwing, Consul fabius (Cramer 1776). It is a Nymphalid and this is the most common species of the genus Consul. There are around 14 different subspecies and I think this one could be cecrops. As its name suggests it does resemble a leaf as the under wings are intricately marked in browns and greys camouflaging it perfectly when the wings are shut and looking exactly like a dead leaf. Unfortunately I couldn’t get a shot of that as it didn’t want to pose for long so you’ll have to take my word for it.
172-001.JPG
They are found all over the neo-tropics in deciduous forest, rainforest and cloud forest and prefer the canopy or coming down lower along the river banks where they will bask during the morning and if they show this behaviour in captivity then a morning visit might ensure the best shots. They feed on rotting fruit, dung and urine and often move with a slow, gliding flight unless alarmed when they can punch it.

As soon as I saw the butterfly at the Zoo I started trying to work out why it would be so colourfully marked. I initially thought that it came down to attracting a female but some research work brought it back to mimicry. The Tiger Leafwing is part of a mimicry ring called the tiger complex. It includes representatives from a number of butterfly families and even a few moths and also has both Batesian and Mullerian mimics. The Mullerian mimics are toxic and (as mentioned when I looked at H.erato) evolved similar patterns to each other. It’s a bit hard to explain the reason why it benefits a lot of other toxic species to share wing patterns but for example if a toxic butterfly has orange and black striped wings predators will soon learn to associate those particular markings with a distasteful snack and so will avoid other species with the same markings. It may take a few horrible lunches before the predator puts two and two together and so while it’s learning the losses are shared over a greater range of species so no particular species fares worse than any other. If other toxic species have similar markings then they will benefit as the predator avoids them and they lose fewer members as the predator makes the association quicker. These preadtors, not very bright really :roll:

In the same mimicry ring there are also Batesian mimics and it’s a lot easier to see how they benefit from sharing wing patterns as they aren’t toxic, just tricking the predators into thinking that they are :wink: . Having had a very distasteful mouthful of orange and black butterfly it will avoid other orange and black butterflies whether they are toxic or mimics. Often you find that toxic forms are brightly marked on both upper and lower sides of the wings, whereas mimics are cryptically marked on the under wing, almost as if they’re hedging their bets as to whether the warning coloration will actually work. As C.fabius is cryptically camouflaged to represent a dead leaf I’m guessing that it isn’t really toxic and is therefore a Batesian mimic

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Snow Day!

I was actually quite glad to be roused from sleep at 6:40 yesterday as it could mean only one thing – SNOW DAY!! :D I looked out of the window and there was an inch or two covering everything and the snow was getting heavier even as I watched. After I’d made the necessary phone calls to spread the good news to the rest of the department we checked the girls’ school website and they were closed too. So we started sorting out gloves, hats, thermals etc and then all four of us bravely set off to the corner shop for a pint of milk which I’d forgotten to get the day before.

Having sledged, snowballed, made snow angels and a snow woman and dog I then spent some time birding in the garden with my older daughter. It was incredibly peaceful with the snow muffling and dampening down all the usual noise of hustle and bustle. We stood in the middle of the garden, the snow deeper than my walking boots, just listening and scanning the black and white trees for movement. The usual crew were there with Long-tailed, Great and Blue Tits, Robins, Dunnocks, Starlings (which didn’t turn into Waxwings no matter how hard I squinted at them), Pigeons and Doves (both feral and wood and Collared), Blackbirds, Green, Gold and Chaffinches and corvids wheeling over the gardens looking for those that had perished in the cold no doubt. Highlights were fly over Redwings, Fieldfares, a party of 12 Skylarks and a single Cormorant but the real star was a singing Coal Tit, with its reverse Mr T Mohawk. Whilst the others were noisy and scrappy round the feeders in other gardens the Coal Tit would hang around the periphery and then nip in while no-one was looking, grab a mouthful and then fly away as quickly it had arrived 8) .
After our 40 minute vigil my older daughter went off to try and make small igloos and I got my camera.
119 - Copy-001.JPG
121 - Copy-001.JPG
127 - Copy-001.JPG
Come on Waxwings!!!!
Come on Waxwings!!!!
133 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I really like that last photo Wurzel - it belongs in a stock library :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pete – it was also my favourite of the day. :D

I didn’t venture out much today as I’m still feeling cold from an afternoon sledging yesterday. So instead of wandering around in the cold I set up my own private hide in my older daughters’ bedroom. Her window looks out over our and several neighbours’ back gardens, the sill gives me somewhere to put my tea and rest my elbows while using my bins and best of all I’m right in front of the radiator – very toastie!

Today I had a sneaky feeling that it might be a Brambling day so I paid special attention to the large, bare tree 5 gardens to my left as this is where I’ve found them over the past couple of years. Some Long-tailed tits dropped in, there were a few Greenfinches and Goldfinches at the top of the tree, and then fidgeting around lower down was a Chaffinch which didn’t seem right, it had a much whiter breast and was slightly larger. As it worked its’ way along the branch I could clearer see the darker head and the unmistakable orange of a male Brambling.

A little later having watched a few Fieldfares picking a tree clean of its red berries and then chuckling off, I turned my attention to the trees at the top of the garden. There were 2 Greenfinch, 2 male and a female Chaffinch, 3 Blue Tits and another male Brambling all in the same tree. I tried for a shot but it was very distant and then I risked a quick walk up the garden to try and get a bit closer. I didn’t go too far up there as I didn’t want to spook them and have them waste energy flying away from me and so the shots are still ridiculously cropped. This means that they are nowhere near as good as some of the shots on here recently but I was happy for two reasons.

1. I got really close views in my own garden (through bins) without having to go all the way to Blashford Lakes (although I might head there for better photos)
2. We recently exchanged contracts on our first house and so come the 1st February this won’t be my garden anymore. Instead of all the borders, the wild patch at the top, the ivy and fruit trees I’ll have a 3m square courtyard of concrete. Perhaps the new tenant/owner will let me come back for a visit now and again?
Very distant
Very distant
As close as I could get...
As close as I could get...
018 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I wrote this a few days ago intending to post over the weekend and not expecting much to happen in between...then the snow came and then the Bramblings came but now I'm back at work with very little chance of getting out and about it should be safe to post.

Bits and Pieces...

Over the past couple of weeks I wasn’t able to venture far, in fact I didn’t even get to do my New Years bird trip, but walks to town gave me an opportunity to at least try and use my camera. There was also a brief period a school with the enrichment group. Still it’s given me a chance to try out different types of shots using sports mode in particular, in preparation for trying to get some in flight shots when the season begins as well as keeping my hand in with macro. It feels like an age since I last got a shot of a butterfly and feels like another age before I’ll get to get another shot!
Town Path...
Town Path...
Also...
Also...
And again.
And again.
At work
At work
Work also
Work also
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

That sports mode has been put to good use. Fantastic flight shot of the (juvenile) black-headed gull :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid :D I need to remember to set it back for macro now :roll:

There has been a butterfly house at Bristol Zoo for a couple of years now but as I’ve visited at slightly different times each winter I have often encountered a whole range of new species and there is always something new it seems. What is lacks in the frisson of the chase it makes up for in glamour. This next one was no exception and I spent almost the entire time in the house waiting for it to appear and settle for some shots. It is a stunning butterfly and I found myself mesmerised by it...

Leopard Lacewing

Cethosia cyane (Drury, 1773) is a member of the Heliconiine with two sub-species. It was found across Asia from India to Southern China. I say “was” because due to its migratory tendencies it’s expanded its range into southern Asia arriving relatively recently in Malay and Singapore (2005). In fact in Singapore it is found in many wastelands where its host plant can be found and is now considered “common”.

The shots I got were of a male and females have a paler underside whilst the upper side has more black and can be greenish white to brownish instead of the vivid orange that the male wears. This bright colouration indicates that the species doesn’t just have to rely on its fast flight to avoid predation. The bright colours are a warning that it is unpalatable and it can exude a noxious odour which is generated from the ingesting the Passion Vine. It can release this odour when handled so care should be taken when getting those close up shots!
115 - Copy (2).JPG
155 - Copy (2).JPG
158 - Copy.JPG
203 - Copy (2).JPG
204 - Copy (2).JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Nice article and pictures Wurzel. :)
Your Cethosia cyane looks just like the picture of the butterfly I posted from Wisley's butterflies in a glasshouse (see below) last year listed Cethosia biblis :o :?
"Malay Lacewing Cethosia biblis" a closely related species?
"Malay Lacewing Cethosia biblis" a closely related species?
C%20Malay%20Lacewing%20Cethosia%20biblis%2001[1].jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 636 times
I need to look into this.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid :D

Your butterfly is indeed Cethosia biblis which is the "Red Lacewing" (according to Wikipedia). My one is a different species Cethosia cyane the Leopard Lacewing and I only just realised/remembered how to tell them apart from when I was trying to identify it initially. The upper wings on the Red have a series of white U shaped or "spot/eye" marks in a band across the black part of the wing tip, whereas the Leopard has a white stripe which is how I identified it initially. Since you got me looking I've noticed that the underwings are slightly different too as the Red has a row of "spot/eye" markings around the fore wing but in the Leopard this is broken by a white flash where the third "spot" would have been. Blooming exotics they make my brain hurt! :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Yes thanks Wurzel :) . I came to that conclusion too. Although I didn't get to see the upperside of biblis I noticed soon after posting that the white diagonal forewing flash on the underside of your specimen which is missing in mine. This was confirmed afer googling for images. That's the problem of posting in a work lunchbreak and rushing to get it out :oops:
Interestingly and perhaps not surprisingly, a few of the biblis google images look to be pictures of cyane. You have to be careful where you go when using this method of for getting identifications.

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Philzoid, to be honest I was lucky that when I typed in Lacewing images of cyane came up so my ID was luck rather than judgement :oops: , shhhh don't tell anyone :wink:

What a difference a week makes! I drove to work on Monday and the fields were a monotony of white. A few days later and the white stuff still covered the ground. The odd covey of Partridges and a lonesome Buzzard or Red Kite injected some interest into my journeys to work as did my first Merlin for a few years. The real spectacle was on Tuesday when the sky appeared to be on fire and the contrast with the monochrome fields was spectacular.
027 - Copy-002.JPG
Then today a walk up the garden and it was like spring was here, it was mild, dry and sunny. The heavy rainfall of last night had passed and taken away the last of snow as well as washing everything clean so it sparkled almost in the weak sun. The birds were calling and making singing sub-songs; rehearsing ready for the main event. Bulbs are starting to come up and were the first Snowdrops of 2013 peaking through.
040 - Copy-002.JPG
There were a few flies around but no butterflies yet, which I’m actually quite glad about as I’d rather they stayed put and made it through to spring than appear briefly now and get caught out. It’s still seems like such a long way off but there is now the occasional glimmer of change.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

The landscape photo you have Wurzel is quite breathtaking! :-)

Return to “Personal Diaries”