Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Susie

Post by MikeOxon »

Next time, get yourself a block of Carrara marble!!!

I once spotted some snow on a gate that reminded me of a china figurine, so I tinted the photo in Photoshop:
DSC_1125-col [800x600].jpg
Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's so clever, Mike! :-)

Thank you, Guy, but I am afraid you're over generous. She looks nothing like Buffy :wink:

She's a funny looking thing but I did enjoy making her.
Last edited by Susie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
John W

Post by John W »

That statue is very impressive. Well done!

John

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks John :)

David M

Post by David M »

A snowLADY.

Impressive!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Nothing really to report on the butterfly front. I popped to Wisley earlier in the week. I know I shouldn't like it, it's like an old fashioned zoo really, but I still feel joy when seeing butterflies in flight.
535367_10151478990111972_1992759681_n.jpg
I saw this online tonight and wanted to share it. I understand the science behind it but it's still awesome to see the moon appear to be so huge (wonderfully shot too). http://vimeo.com/markg/fullmoonsilhouettes

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Very cleverly shot - and super weird to see the moon rise from right to left, upside down!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

padfield wrote:Very cleverly shot - and super weird to see the moon rise from right to left, upside down!

Guy
You're right! I'd not noticed that until you said. :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Susie,
Susie wrote:I saw this online tonight and wanted to share it.
I'm so glad you did - thanks.

What a super piece of video matched perfectly with truly heart warming music :D :D :D

Great stuff ...

Kind regards. Mark

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'd love to know how he made that video. I've edited my initial post as I now realise he is in the Southern hemisphere, so the moon will appear inverted near the horizon!

I took this shot of Red Kites on the moon last April 1st - it's genuine, despite the date!
RadleyGP, Oxon - 1st April 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
RadleyGP, Oxon - 1st April 2012
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Mike

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Mark, I am glad you enjoyed it. :D

I think your photograph is marvellous, Mike! :D

David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote: I took this shot of Red Kites on the moon last April 1st - it's genuine, despite the date!
That's a very impressive image, Mike, the sort you might see in National Geographic.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks, Susie and David M - I'm pleased you liked my photo. I had been watching the two Kites circling overhead for some time and was 'willing' them to cross the face of the moon, so I was delighted when they obliged! :D

mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fantastic image Mike. It reminds me of the shot which I am yet to get! I know where I can see male Purple Emperors perched on the edge of a master tree, with the moon directly behind them in mid/late afternoon. I now have a teleconverter ready for the moment!
BWs, Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

I think it's great when threads wander off topic and throw up gems like this. Mike's photo was wonderful and now I can't wait for Neil's purple emperor sillouetted against the moon. :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

It's amazing how a couple of sunny days can lift the spirits. There isnt much going on in the garden yet but the urge to give the garden a good tidy up struck yesterday and now it's ready for spring. The frogs are out of hibernation too so it wont be long until spawn starts to appear.

We went for a bracing walk today up at Kithurst Hill. It was good to see the work that Sussex Kipper and his comrades had carried out. It looks marvellous.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Mini Challenge

I set myself a mini challenge at the start of the year. To see 43 species of butterfly this year. It shouldn't be too difficult (I hope!)

Today number 1 presented itself (or themselves, as there were two of them) at Wakehurst Place, West Sussex.

1. Red Admiral
422593_10151512005256972_267094033_n.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Susie. Wish I'd have had today off work instead of Thursday as it was lovely here in Swansea and I reckon there'd have been a decent chance of a Welsh sighting!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Today I decided to explore East Sussex as I don't know much about it. Where better to start than the iconic white cliffs called the Seven Sisters :)
574760_10151540252541972_1058019586_n.jpg
It was so cold in the wind off the sea that despite the sunshine that I couldn't feel my fingers after a while. I didn't see a single insect the whole time I was out but that didn't stop the skylarks from singing their hearts out.

On the way back I went via Wilmington and visited the long man.
576311_10151540235276972_2136399766_n.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I popped to Denbies Hillside today after my dance class as it was the nearest possible spot for butterflies to where I was and I wasn't disappointed. The sunshine was warm and despite the lack of flowers (I didn't see a single one in bloom yet) five male Brimstone butterflies were searching relentlessly for females. I think they may have a bit of a wait yet as more cold weather is on the cards. A couple I got chatting to said they had seen a fritillary today, when I queried this with a question of was it black and orange they replied in the affirmative so I think they actually saw a comma. Nice to know they're on the wing too.

Watching the brimstones was interesting because as well as searching along the rides they were flying into the brambles and long grass and looking under the upper part of the undergrowth. I've not seen that before.

So, my butterfly challenge goes on.

1. Red Admiral
2. Brimstone

Return to “Personal Diaries”