January 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: January 2013

Post by Jack Harrison »

CC
The far south of these Islands has an extensive micro climate along much of the coast which can be very different from that only a mile or more inland.
Think Lulworth Skipper and Glanville Fritillary.

Jack
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

All well and good but nothing can show a really mini micro-climate's average temperature. I have in mind a few square metres in a south facing sheltered hollow with a few Thistles which could feasibly maintain a sustainable average temperature to enable some to complete a satisfactory emergence.

Not everything in nature complies with Pie and other Charts or Model diagrams, far from it.

My house is located north-south. Front north facing and back, directly facing south. On a Sunny January day, there can be thick frost in the front whilst the back has spring like warm temperatures. The difference is enormous. Very cold in the shadow of the house at the front where the sun never reaches mid-winter. Frost can be present there in the shade for days. Whilst at same time warm enough to work in only a tea shirt in the full sun at the back. Huge differences and no too circi-umstances will be exactly the same.

Without positive evidence either or even both ways, best to keep an open mind.

When breeding Apatura metis substituta back in the 1980s, I obtained a pairing in late October of this bi-voltine+ far eastern species. Needing Salix leaves to maintain the larva stock, I was able to keep the brood going using leaves still on the Sallows in mid-January in sheltered spots on the higher slopes of the nearby Painswick Beacon. had it not been for them I would have lost the stock. The leaves on my Willows and Sallows in my garden and field long since dead and fallen off!
Last edited by Cotswold Cockney on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
nomad

Post by nomad »

If there was indeed a very early Painted Lady migration going on why have there been no inland records for this species. There are plenty of us butterfly watchers out and about. Where ever you believe these butterflies have come from, if they cannot semi hibernate they will be unfortunately be doomed with the onset of cold weather. I think until we can prove where these January Painted Lady's have come from, there will always be several different opinions as to why they are here.

nomad
Last edited by nomad on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

For those wishing to understand a little more about the mechanisms by which the majority of Painted Lady individuals (of those exhibiting migratory behaviour) choose a flight setting, there is a useful publication summary here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7209003674 and an audio clip of Dr Jason Chapman talking about the phenomenon here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/worldonthem ... avigation/ Those who attended the BC National AGM in Hants a few years back will recall the brilliant and revealing talk he gave.

Neil
Cotswold Cockney

Regarding the final paragraph of my previous post, for those not familiar with the Japanese Apatura metis substituta, here's what this beautiful insect looks like. It was worth the effort keeping them going in the depths of a UK winter :~

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wind chill again

Temperature here today on Mull has been around plus 1 to 2°C. But with a wind of 15 to 25 kms/hr, the windchill has been significant it feeling perhaps more like minus 10°C.

Now I noticed an enormous number of gulls in the air today with fewer than usual on the ground. The penny dropped. When standing they will be subject to that same windchill effect that we feel. So presumably, the birds’ body heat would be rapidly carried away as it is in effect being chilled as if the temperature were more like minus 10°C. But as I tried to explain before (with ref to Painted Ladies) when flying, there would be no greater wind chill than on any other calm day when the temperature is +1°C. So in flying, the birds avoid the windchill they would experience if standing on the ground. They will still feel cold as would be expected at +1°C, but nothing like as much as if standing.

So in theory, if a person walked, ran or cycled with the wind at the speed of the wind, no windchill would be experienced. I can relate to an actual experience along these lines. Many years ago, I was staying in a hotel in Newfoundland. The air temperature was –12°C. I walked with the wind (a mere 2 to 3 kms/hr) into the town of Gander. I was fine and comfortable. But on the return into that very light wind, I became so cold that I was on the point of calling in at a house to ask for shelter. I should add that I was well dressed up for the cold.

Incidentally, the Gander area of Newfoundland is excellent for Camberwell Beauties in the spring where they replace and behave just as do our own Peacocks at that time of year. They fly in the company of Compton Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vaualbum) and a type of Comma (I believe if memory serves me right) the Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma).

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotswold Cockney

Very interesting Gull observations Jack.

I clearly remember when we drove about in the 1970s, you would push a thermometer out into the airstream and we discussed air temperature and windchill factors. All these things play a part in so many ways.

Back in those now faraway schooldays, the bain of my life as a cyclist was always wind direction. I once road gloveless into a blizzard for about three miles. The journey was very necessary as I was returning from visiting my father in Hospital. Never felt a thing whilst actively pedaling the bike. Big mistakes. The warmth returning to my poor hands was one of the most painful experiences of my life. You do silly things when you're young. Never again!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Heavy snowfall here so you can see what those birds have to put up with (sorry, up with which those birds have to put - after W.S.Churchill)

Jack
EricY

Post by EricY »

Bet you are glad you are not now in West Norfolk Jack, -13c here with plenty of snow & more forecast
David M

Post by David M »

EricY wrote:Bet you are glad you are not now in West Norfolk Jack, -13c here with plenty of snow & more forecast
I might be able to trump that tomorrow.

Here in S. Wales we've a very rare 'Red Alert' with snowfall of up to a foot anticipated.

I only live 4 miles from my work location but it looks like I may have no chance of getting there tomorrow morning.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David
I only live 4 miles from my work location but it looks like I may have no chance of getting there tomorrow morning.
I ambled the best part of 4 miles the other day and I'm old, fat and unfit. So 4 miles is nothing for a younger man even in snow :twisted:

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:David
I ambled the best part of 4 miles the other day and I'm old, fat and unfit. So 4 miles is nothing for a younger man even in snow :twisted:
I already have contingency plans:

I walk the entire way (1hr 15mins)

I drive halfway and park my car on the main road then walk the rest (45mins)

I leave very early, get there in the car but risk having to abandon it at work (20 mins + unknown journey back).

The worst case scenario is if I do any of the above only to arrive at work to be told that the entire building is to be shut down due to the hazardous weather (pathetic in my eyes, since we managed fine 20+ years ago before all this health and safety nonsense).

Whichever scenario proves to be most accurate, tomorrow will be an interesting day! :)
David M

Post by David M »

Following on from my earlier comments, I'm afraid the 'worst case scenario' came to pass.

I managed to get to work before 7am (it wasn't that bad to be honest; only about half an inch of snow). However, shortly after 7 it was announced that the building was going to be closed and that staff needn't come into work (and those already there could go home).

Laughable really. There's no backbone in people these days. God help us if we ever go to war again.

The snow's largely melted from the roads now and there's no more than an inch lying elsewhere yet this was deemed sufficient to call a complete halt to business operations.

This was the scene looking towards Kilvey Hill on the Swansea coast shortly after I arrived home at 8.45am:

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A trail of feline footprints across the lawn this morning. In one of the deeper sections the cat's body has dragged along the top of the snow, giving the disturbing illusion that the cat had changed into a man as it walked across the garden...
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...the disturbing illusion that the cat had changed into a man as it walked across the garden...
You must have opened the bottle early :shock: Pink elephants next :evil:

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

One of the best places arguably for seeing butterflies on the Isle of Wight - but not today!! :)
Attachments
03-Pratt-Ian--CRW_0178.jpg
02-Pratt-Ian--CRW_0176.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Ian Pratt wrote:One of the best places arguably for seeing butterflies on the Isle of Wight - but not today!! :)
Quite!

I presume that it's unusual for snow to fall and settle like that so close to the IOW south coast?
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Yes, the last big snowfall were in January 2010 and December 2010, I think.
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

"Meyrick Gough, from Southern Water, said thoughts of a hosepipe ban were "very far away"." (BBC News)

That's a relief then :lol:

Mike
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

No butterflies but this afternoon it was warm enough in Sidmouth, Devon for a couple of flies to be sunning themselves
Attachments
Two flies enoying the sunshine.JPG

Return to “Sightings”