Canon 7D

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

Canon 7D

Post by Ian Pratt »

A number of nature photographers use the Canon 7D and I wondered if anyone can recommend it or let me know its downsides (if any)? :?:
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Canon 7D

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Ian - I can definitely recommend it for nature photography. A few key benefits (for me):

1. It's got a cropped sensor, giving an extra x1.6 magnification with any lens used on it (e.g. a 400mm focal length lens becomes a 640mm lens!).
2. It's got video capability - and very good video capture at that. Changing from stills to video is a flick of a switch.
3. Because it's a DSLR, you can use interchangeable lenses. I use mine for both butterfly photography (with a Sigma 150mm macro) and for birds (with a Canon 100-400mm L-series "dust pump"). I've also played around with a Canon MP-E 65mm macro (5x magnification), but didn't get on with it!
4. It can process a good number of frames per second (can't remember the spec) - but fast enough to rattle of a series of shots of birds in flight - or courting Brimstones or Silver-washed Fritillaries (for example).

Downsides:

I don't think this is the best camera for landscape photography, because of the cropped sensor (and yet you want a wide angle of field), although using a wide angle lens will counter that to a degree.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks for that Pete. :) Ian
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

If I could fault the 7D at all, it would be on the noise. Compared to older models like the 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D, the 7D does have noticeable image noise, even at 400 ISO. If you know what your doing, this is easily taken care of in post processing. Other than that I can't fault the 7D, great camera.

BTW, I think the 8D is due to be released in a few months time, could be worth the wait, and the extra £ you pay for a new released body, but I doubt it. The 7D is such a good camera, that any gains with the newer 8D would be marginal.

Regards Gruditch
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks for that Gary. Happy New Year. Ian
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you are already committed to the Canon system, then your choice is obvious.

Personally, I use Nikon and, while the two systems are similar in overall quality and performance, there are differences in handling. If you are uncommitted, you should try both systems, to see if you have any preference. Most bird photographers opt for Canon, mainly because there is a good range of fast tele lenses for that system. In other areas, things are pretty evenly balanced.

Mike
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

if you are uncommitted to a system Canon & Nikon are not the only game in town.
Sony & Pentax also do macro well & the new Olympus 60mm macro looks to be an excellent lens.
Canon & Nikon do have the best availability of utra tele prime lenses (for birds etc.) but we are talking about things that cost the same as a small car ...
Think about what you want/need/can afford, narrow down your choices & then go to a shop & have a play to see which feels the most natural for you.

P.S. I hate to take issue withe Peter but the cropped sensor doesn't give extra magnification or indeed change the focal length of a lens - it changes the field of view compared to a full frame sensor. Subject size remains the same.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

ScottD wrote:P.S. I hate to take issue withe Peter but the cropped sensor doesn't give extra magnification or indeed change the focal length of a lens - it changes the field of view compared to a full frame sensor. Subject size remains the same.
I agree :) What I meant, of course, is that there's an "illusion" of the subject appearing to be magnified since the subject can "fill" the frame from a greater working distance, and I consider this to be an advantage.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I don't like my 7D for the single reason that I find manual focus through the few-finder difficult. For everything else I love it.
The manual focus is probably down to my eyesight and the fact that I wear varifocal specs but it proved to be such a problem for me that I now use a 1D3 with a split screen for macro work in the field. I still use the 7D for specimen moth photographs when taken through my computer.
Just check that you can see well enough through the viewfinder to focus for those macro shots but if you are senile and half blind then try a different camera.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

There is a firm in the USA http://www.katzeyeoptics.com, that makes custom screens for DSLRs, which I can recommend. It does work out quite costly, but worth it in my opinion. In the case of the 7D they recommend having the screen fitted professionally, which will add further to the cost.

M
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

MikeOxon wrote: If you are uncommitted, you should try both [Canon & Nikon] systems
Being a Sony user, I was reminded of The Blues Brothers
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Bar owner: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western"
:D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

dilettante wrote:Being a Sony user, I was reminded of The Blues Brothers
I guess I laid myself open by only mentioning my own system! In my defence, I should point out that Canon and Nikon between them have well over 50% of the interchangeable-lens camera market, so they must be doing something right. I was happy to 'go with the flow'. :)

A world-wide DSLR sales (2011) pie-chart from the web (http://francoismalan.com/2012/07/jdpowe ... n_ranking/ ) looks like this:
DSLR-MarketShare2011.jpg
Of course, things may change in the future and the same website notes that Pentax have the highest consumer satisfaction rating.

Mike
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

At least we didn't get the "I get Image Stabilisation with every lens" line. :roll:

Regards Gruditch
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

JohnR wrote: I find manual focus through the few-finder difficult.
I think this is a problem with most (all?) DSLRs and seems to be linked to the vogue for the brightest possible viewfinder.

Many years ago, I used to use a Pentax Spotmatic and never had a problem focusing on its screen. A bit later, I tried a Pentax P30 and found that I started getting unsharp photos. Tests with an identical lens on both bodies revealed that the P30 screen was far less critical in displaying image sharpness.

Most DSLRs do include an 'in-focus' indicator, which works in conjunction with the AF system, and can be used to assist manual focusing. It's not nearly as good as true visual focus, though.

Mike
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Gruditch wrote:At least we didn't get the "I get Image Stabilisation with every lens" line. :roll:
well, you wouldn't with a Canon or Nikon. :twisted:
A Sony, Pentax or Olympus now ... :lol:
MikeOxon wrote:
JohnR wrote: I find manual focus through the few-finder difficult.
I think this is a problem with most (all?) DSLRs and seems to be linked to the vogue for the brightest possible viewfinder.
It's actually to do with AF systems & the fact that the mirror has to transmit light to the AF sensor as well as the vf.
Nor do they properly show DoF with apertures larger than ~f2.8.
you might find http://www.dphotoexpert.com/2007/09/21/ ... iewfinder/ interesting
If you do change the vf screen for a splitscreen this usually means also adjusting the cameras metering.

EVFs & OVFs both have pros & cons but 1 area where EVFs can make life easier is for manual focusing (you can both magnify the image & use tools like peaking).
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Re a replacement: I bought my 7D in April, a replacement was rumoured to be imminent then. It's a very affordable camera at the moment, check out HDEW cameras; they are 'grey imports' but have a very good reputation and provided a three year warranty. For £725 it's a bargain.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

£725 :shock: That is a bargain, looking at camera price buster, the best UK price is £985.

I would be very surprised if the 8D doesn't get introduced this spring. The 7D has already had the second longest production run of any Canon DSLR , I guess that that in itself would point to it being a good camera.

Regards Gruditch
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Steve Babbs wrote:For £725 it's a bargain.
If you are interested note that, according to the HDEW website http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-7d-d ... -494-p.asp, offer ends today (6th Jan).
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

I suspect the HDEW offer will be replaced by another as good, or better. The 7D has just had a fairly major software update, which may indicate Canon are trying to make it last a bit longer. When it is replaced - and I do agree it has been around for a long while, although higher level models are replaced less often than entry level cameras - the new model is likely to be rather expensive for a while; I would guess getting on for two grand. I think the 7D started off at £1700. It is a superb camera.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I bought ther 7D and 100 mm IS macro lens from HDEW cameras- no problems- delivery in 6 days.
Many thanks to Steve Babbs for the recommendation. :D

Return to “Photography”