Brimstones

James M

Brimstones

Post by James M »

Hi, can some tell me what is the best time and place to see Brimstones? as I have never seen them before, even though they are fairly common in places but obviously not in my area.
eccles

Post by eccles »

They're around all year as they're the most long lived of all the British butterflies. You'll see them mostly when they emerge from hibernation in the Spring but males especially are less likely to spend time feeding at this time, constantly hunting for females. The new batch is emerging about now in my area and they're a better bet for photos. They seem to like to nectar off thistle in scrubby areas or woodland glades.
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

Indeed on Saturday Jack and I both had success photographing very fresh Male and Female Brimstones as they fed at both Aston Rowant (on Bald Hill) and at Oakley Wood, Oxfordshire. Oakley Wood was impressive with 10+ visible at times along the verges of the track. I forget the name of the flowers they were nectaring on. They frequently stopped for short periods before moving to the next flower. If timed correctly it was possible to get decent shots. I got my best closeup yet, close enough to see the scales on the wing. See 4th August at http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/Butterf ... index.html for 3 shots of 2 Male Brimstones (I did not get a shot of the females but Jack got a good few I think...)

I imagine as soon as they have fueled up they will go into hibernation until the Spring.

-Mike
James M

Post by James M »

Thanks Eccles and Mike, are there any at Arnside Knott? as I have a chance of going this week.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I didn't see any (zero) on Sunday (5th August).

Cheers,

- Pete
walshey

Brimstones at Arnside

Post by walshey »

I haven't seen any there this summer either in 3 July visits. Have seen them there in previous years though. Maybe they are late coming out this year at the site?
Tom Ottley

Post by Tom Ottley »

I did a quick web search and Skipwith Common seems to pop up quite often for Brimstones - might be worth a try, it certainly sounds a nice place place to visit.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I saw a Brimstone on the Silverdale-Arnside road, next to Arnside Tower today. But it was the only one :)

Still lots of Scotch Argus, and the occasional fritillary, on the Knott. I also saw 2 Wall today, which was nice :)

Cheers,

- Pete
James M

Post by James M »

Thanks Pete, it looks like I'll be going tomorrow I'm really looking forward to it.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Look for Teasels in your local woods where the butterfly occurs. In many of Gloucestershire's woodlands, at this time of year, both sexes can be seen in some numbers feeding almost incessantly on the spikes of Teasel flowers in their quest to build up body reserves for the long winter hibernation session.

On that subject, been working in my garage again this weekend. There's several large buddleias in local gardens and when I leave the door open, one or two Peacocks enter the garage and look for somewhere to settle down. My son leant an old car tyre against a wall in the garden some years ago. When I picked it up to dispose of it, there were two Peacocks hiberanting in there. They can hibernate almost anywhere. I've seen them settle down deep inside the gaps in Cotswold Stone Walls.

As a small boy in the early 1950s, I had relatives who lived in a house actually on the Aerodrome at Brockworth, Glos., the site of the former GAC (Gloster Aircraft Company) factory. My younger brother and I would watch the final checking and engine warm up process prior to the Gloster Javelines taking off on their maiden flights. On that areodrome were several large concrete WWII pill boxes. I ventured into one one winter's day and looking up at the ceiling, saw it was actually black with many Peacocks and a few Small Tortoiseshells.

Happy days ... gorn forever. There's now a huge Industrial Estate there now ... and the Marsh Fritillaries present on the airfield back then ... also gorn forever.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Hi. I've only discovered this fantastic website in the last month or so, and am still browsing the forums. I just found this thread, and thought I'd add a little contribution. I've been butterfly watching for something like 40 years, and until about 5 years ago, I'd never seen a Brimstone. Until a couple of years ago, I lived in North Yorkshire, near Pickering. Quite suddenly, Brimstones began to appear, quite commonly, in places I'd never seen them, and I've seen them every year since- though I've yet to get a half decent pic of one. Does this indicate that they're getting commoner? I've noticed larger numbers of several species in recent years, especially Commas, and wondered if anyone else has seen a similar increase? If so, perhaps it could be due to the well documanted decline in the bird population reducing predation?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I think this is an indication of climate change - with certain species moving north. I believe this is the biggest "factor" rather than predation.

The book "The State of Butterflies in Britain and Ireland" documents this very clearly. Not only are species moving further north, but they're also emerging earlier and overwintering later. This, of course, is both good and bad - depending on the species.

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “General”