Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
MikeOxon

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by MikeOxon »

Durlston CP - 25th July 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300mm lens - 1/500s@f/5.6 ISO400
Durlston CP - 25th July 2012
Nikon D300s with 300mm lens - 1/500s@f/5.6 ISO400
Not so good technically but I like this slice of Lulworth action :)

Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper
This was taken in June on my first visit to Bindon Hill. Being a relatively local lad I’ve visited Lulworth many, many times over the years but never for butterflies and I was doubly disappointed with myself for not coming here sooner when I saw how easy the “endemic” was to find. I’ve waxed lyrical before about the surreal experience of cliff-tops and explosions but something else made me think of this shot as my favourite. Having seen a few Skippers along the cliff tops I then hopped over a style and followed the cliff-top path for a bit. It soon became a cliff-top path for real and more than once I rounded a corner and stared straight down at the turquoise sea below. This shot was taken from the edge of the path with my back to Cove below and with only an inch or two to manoeuvre so it became my favourite because it got my Adrenalin pumping like no other butterfly shot I’ve taken before.
Lulworth Skipper.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lulworth Skippers were a first for me this year and a pleasant surprise at that :D
As documented in my diary, I spent a glorious week in Dorset at the beginning of September. Before going I had checked the rangers report at Durlston Country Park and was amazed to see that they were still on the wing.
Sure enough, when I visited Durlston I saw a fair number, not in best condition but still reasonable considering the late date for these.
Lulworth Skipper - Durlston CP 03.09.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”