Any Fish experts? sorry not a BF id Question

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
EricY

Any Fish experts? sorry not a BF id Question

Post by EricY »

Today I watched a comorant grapple with a huge fish it had no chance of swallowing. Ugly looking fish (in fresh water) so thought someone on here might be a fish expert as well as Lep's. 3 photos attached, apologies if out of order with this q. Eric
Cormorant with big fish
Cormorant with big fish
Cormorant with big fish 2
Cormorant with big fish 2
Cormorant with big fish 3
Cormorant with big fish 3
ChrisC

Re: Any Fish experts? sorry not a BF id Question

Post by ChrisC »

i'd say a carp. must have been amazing to watch it try

Chris
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Carp is most likely on size, but i wouldn't rule out a big tench. The fin in the first photo looks 'tenchy' and the small eye, smooth olive skin and rubbery area under the mouth too!
One of those two, definitely.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I'm pretty confident that's a female tench (the pelvic fin is larger in the male) of nearly 3 lbs - too big for the cormorant to swallow. Sadly, these birds often bite off more than they can chew, leaving characteristically scarred carcasses. It's not unusual for them to target tench in the winter, when this species is often lying semi-torpid. Tench bring back happy memories of my youth, travelling all over the country in search of whoppers, and an annual pilgrimage to the Emerald Isle.
Neil
EricY

Post by EricY »

Thanks Neil, Chris & Essex Bertie. I did ask the same q on another site & had 2 votes in favour of Tench from that site, so I guess that is what it is. Would not have believed a fish that size was in that pool, must be able to hide well as pool is regularly visited by Cormorants, Herons & Bittern. Eric
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I'd also go with a female Tench. Bit of a lost cause trying to swallow it but Cormorants are unfortunately well known for taking on fish larger than they can manage.

I remember pike fishing once and one popped up right next to my float with a 3lb pike!

Return to “Identification”