Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

The autumn sunshine meant I had to postpone chores today and head for Steyning in the hope of seeing one last glimpse of flaming hairstreaks :wink:

Sussex Kipper had been showing another enthusiast, John (nice to meet you :-) ), his first BHs and I was pleased to see it briefly before it flew. Over the next couple of hours we saw a few more BHs, together with commas, loads of fabulous red admirals, a small copper, speckled woods, meadow browns, and small whites.

Walking down the path by the allotments (the stink of dog poo and amount of the stuff was awful :-( the owners of the dogs should be ashamed) I saw a male brimstone fly into a garden spider's web. Normally I wouldn't have interfered but for some reason, maybe because seeing brimstones in the spring give me such pleasure, but I put my hand into the web just as the spider dashed out. I broke the web enough for the brimstone to fly free and avoid the leathal injection coming his way. I hope it hibernates safely and flies again next year. :-)

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Well done for rescuing that Brimstone, Susie. I'd have done exactly the same.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Seemed a bit unfair depriving it of it's lunch which it had won fair and square but I do love to see brimstones after a long dark winter .

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Susie wrote: I do love to see brimstones after a long dark winter .
not half as much as that Brimstone loved seeing you i'll bet.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Probably my last brownies of the year
261827_10151242018651972_1357077144_n.jpg
644471_10151242018766972_2083193963_n.jpg
and a comma
299415_10151242018826972_500765314_n.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

i'm jealous Susie,i haven't had much luck with BH. I didn't think it would be warm enough today-clearly it was!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Since Sunday there has been a very different feeling in the air, it's felt like autumn and my body clock is telling me it's time to fatten up for winter and hibernation :lol:

Despite that i'm still seeing the odd small white flying about. :-)

Susie

Post by Susie »

It's well into October and I am still seeing butterflies daily if weather permits. Numbers are dropping though, I only saw onne comma and one red admiral on the buddleia today.

At Goring (on the south coast) there were a few butterflies flying southwards. Perhaps taking the opportunity of the still mild conditions to pop back to the continent.

Susie

Post by Susie »

It's been pretty rubbish weather wise here lately and today was another dull day and quite foggy. I needed to get out for a walk so headed for Nyman's Gardens which is a National Trust property. There is a mock gothic house here which half burned down many years ago which is very atmospheric and beautiful gardens which are great for photos.

Autumn's definitely here as the trees can attest
576380_10151286879826972_80475397_n.jpg
534754_10151286880071972_226890271_n.jpg
247645_10151286880166972_1196144716_n.jpg
156440_10151286880476972_1714183936_n.jpg
I was looking at the sun dial and the beautiful wildflowers which had been planted around it which haven't yet died but are looking pretty sorry for themselves which I was circled by a red admiral! I really hadn't expected to see a butterfly today but it flew around strongly for a good few minutes before disappearing into the fog.
561839_10151286881216972_1542337394_n.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

This afternoon the Sussex BC AGM took place and there were three excellent speakers, Dr Dan Hoare, Dr Dan Danahar and Michael Blencowe. I was feeling very sorry for myself as I was very bunged up with a cold but it was an entertaining afternoon. I am sure that Mark Colvin will give a thorough break down of events in his diary so I will leave that to him as he does it so much better than me. :D I only mention it because I found Dr Dan (Danahar's) talk about 50 butterflies in 50 years, where he attempted to see 50 butterfly species in one year to celebrate his 50th birthday, quite inspirational and have decided to attempt something similar next year. Wish me luck! :lol:

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Susie wrote: I found Dr Dan (Danahar's) talk about 50 butterflies in 50 years, where he attempted to see 50 butterfly species in one year to celebrate his 50th birthday, quite inspirational and have decided to attempt something similar next year. Wish me luck! :lol:
You shouldn't have much difficulty finding 30 butterflies in a year, Susise ... :roll:

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Well if you click on http://www.butterflyblitz2010.webs.com/ you can see how Sami and I managed during our Big Year attempt (a shameless plug, I know!)

Actually part of the purpose of our "Honeymoon Land's End to John O'Groats Walk" (raising money for Butterfly Conservation - see the tag underneath this post. Yet ANOTHER shameless plug, and the donations page is still live if you haven't donated yet, tut tut you! :wink: ) was pretty much an attempt to offset our carbon emissions from the 2010 blitz.

Given a decent bit of weather throughout the flight season (and a bit more time off of work) I'd positively love to give it another try, in 2010 we targeted ALL of the subspecies too which was much more educational than just ticking off the species. And it takes you to some seriously wild places! Our 2011 follow-up attempt fell to pieces pretty quickly for one reason or another, we never did get across to Ireland for Cryptic White and all of the endemic races. So maybe next year, but probably not until 2014.

And possibly sponsored...? Hmmm, let me chat to my wife! :P

Cheers,

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

padfield wrote:
Susie wrote: I found Dr Dan (Danahar's) talk about 50 butterflies in 50 years, where he attempted to see 50 butterfly species in one year to celebrate his 50th birthday, quite inspirational and have decided to attempt something similar next year. Wish me luck! :lol:
You shouldn't have much difficulty finding 30 butterflies in a year, Susise ... :roll:

Guy
Bless you, Guy, you're my favourite forum member :lol:

Most years I can pretty easily see 35 species without a huge amount of effort, next year i'll be aiming for 43. It's not a huge ask but should still be interesting to me to see if I can achieve it given other commitments :-) .

You do like your little projects, Gibster. Good luck with the next one.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Merry Yule.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Not butterfly related but still interesting to some of us. My husband gave me a shout at lunchtime as he had heard the buzzing of this bluebottle as it got caught in the web of a spider on our kitchen door. From the moment the false widow got hold of it it had no chance although it took a while to die. I've not seen a false widow active in daylight before. This is the latter part of the video.

www.facebook.com/v/10151364241661972[/video][/video]

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

great video :) your false widow looks like a zygiella x-notata. one of the few orb weavears active in these temperatures.

Chris

Susie

Post by Susie »

Also known as the winter spider, which is appropriate.

Thank you for the ID, Chris, I didnt think it looked the same as the previous false widow we had. :-)

Susie

Post by Susie »

This afternoon was mild but cloudy and visibilty wasnt great. No butterflies for me yet this year and unfortunately no brown hairstreak eggs in the garden this year despite searching. I did find the remains of a dead hedgehog though :-(

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yesterday the kids started making a snowman in the garden and had got to the stage of making three big balls of snow and put them on top of each other but hadn't completed it. After a lunchtime down the pub and a large glass of wine I decided to attack it with a knife today despite the constant light snow :lol:
Mermaid.jpg
Don't ask what made me make a mermaid, I don't know! She's rather creepy, like something out of Dr Who :shock:

Two of my girls came out to help me and added more snow around the base so I can make her tail.

It's still not finished although I managed to get a bit more done after the photo was taken before I finally lost the use of my fingers. Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't melt too much.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

She's beautiful.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”