BBC R4: Saving Species - Rewilding & Devonshire Beavers

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pawpawsaurus

BBC R4: Saving Species - Rewilding & Devonshire Beavers

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Tuesday 11/12/12 at 11am

Of particular interest to those down south:
"Brett Westwood travels to Sussex to Knepp Castle Estate to find out how landowner Charlie Burrell is managing his land in a wilder way. Once a traditional arable and dairy farm, for the last 11 years the estate has been restoring and regenerating the land to boost biodiversity and allow less intensive meat production. The 1,400 hectares are grazed by roaming herds of Old English Longhorn cattle, Exmoor ponies, pigs and deer as part of the estate's Wildland project. A stretch of the River Adur which flows through the estate is also being changed - having been canalised in the past, the path of the river is being more naturalised to restore meanders and to incorporate natural floodplains."

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p70p4 for the full synopsis.

Paul
Last edited by Pawpawsaurus on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Re: BBC R4: The Living World - Rewilding & Devonshire Beaver

Post by Susie »

Oh, sounds good! It is a place I am really interested in so shall enjoy listening. Thanks. :D
Pawpawsaurus

Re: BBC R4: Saving Species - Rewilding & Devonshire Beaver

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Susie wrote:Oh, sounds good! It is a place I am really interested in so shall enjoy listening. Thanks. :D
When I spotted this programme in the listings I immediately thought of the Sussex Gang.
Saving Species is normally quite good so I hope this episode is worth listening to.

[Pity I got the title wrong, though. :( I've corrected it.]

Paul
Susie

Re: BBC R4: Saving Species - Rewilding & Devonshire Beavers

Post by Susie »

I wont get a chance to listen to it live today but I hope to catch up with it on Thursday.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Paul. The BC Sussex Spring Social will be held on the Estate this year, although attendance will be by booking only, due to venue capacity (details in last branch newsletter). I'm still getting to know the large project area in detail, having joined the Wildland Advisory Group last year (see http://www.knepp.co.uk). As the re-wilding process progresses the Knepp Estate will become a real haven for species including Purple Emperor and Brown Hairstreak. I'll invite Pete over to do a UKB article on the place in the future. I'll also be inviting some local folk to take part in a Brown Hairstreak egg survey this winter.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

A thoroughly excellent programme too. Well worth a listen.
Neil
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Sussex Kipper wrote:A thoroughly excellent programme too. Well worth a listen.
It was indeed, and for those who'd rather not wait for Thursday's repeat it's already available online for at least a year, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p70p4

And it won't be a surprise to anyone that you were mentioned (by your showbiz alias, of course). :D

Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

I just had a listen and enjoyed it but wanted so much more. I am sure they only skimmed the top of a huge fascinating subject. Surely the project at Knepp Castle is worth a whole BBC television series?!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Excellent - wish this was on my doorstep - it sounds extremely promising. I wonder if one day it might give rise to some good SPBF or Wood White habitat?

The Devon beaver project is interesting too - as it is opening up the sward in prime Marsh Fritillary habitat it would be interesting to know how this is affecting the butterfly - my guess is it would be positive but it would be good to have the effects quantified.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”