Best of Top Gear - BBC2 tonight

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
NickB

Best of Top Gear - BBC2 tonight

Post by NickB »

About 45 mins into the program there was a butterfly featured, as they left the Alpes Maritime in Italy and drove through to Monaco in France.
The question is: Was it a High Brown or Niobe Fritillary? (Or something else...?). It was only on for a few seconds...
:)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Re: Best of Top Gear - BBC2 tonight

Post by David M »

Hell, this is one thing I never expected:

Top Gear meets butterflies.

Can't blame any of those who weren't adequately prepared.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Well tangentally Jeremy Clarkson used to have a house (he may still own it)on the Isle of Mann and he used to let people run a moth trap there, also he is a birder, so who knows what could turn up on top gear in the future. :-)
David M

Post by David M »

He did (may be still does) own a house there on the TAX HAVEN of the Isle of Man (where nobody pays more than £250k per financial year in income tax irrespective of their earnings). Last I heard, he was involved in a vicious and unseemly dispute over rights of way access - you know, those rights that have existed for centuries but when one megalomaniac complains about his/her privacy the whole thing goes to court.

He owned the lighthouse on the Langness peninsula near Ronaldsway airport. This is a major beauty spot on the island and he made himself most unpopular by doing what he did.

I guess he saved himself about £500k per year tax though, so I suppose he literally had nothing to lose by making his claim.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I saw this programme,i thought it was a Marbled Frit,but it was only on for a few seconds!
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

just for the record I'd like to state that Clarkson IS NOT a "birder". The man is many things, some good and some not, but a birder he ain't! His above average height could come in handy at a jammed-in twitch, but that's about it.

Humph! (from a real "birder", lol)
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
NickB

Post by NickB »

essexbuzzard wrote:I saw this programme,i thought it was a Marbled Frit,but it was only on for a few seconds!
Yep - I had a look on the Play Again - could be a Marbled...... :)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I would be almost 100% certain that it is a Marbled Fritillary. The only option would be Lesser Marbled and the upperside view alone almost precludes this, and a brief but not very clear view of the underside makes it very to close to 100%.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”