Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

Back from India to a cold and snowy Switzerland. On Sunday I popped down to the woods to look for Tiberius - without success. His former resting leaf was completely red and withered and I am sure he has gone into hibernation but it was very difficult to search with so many leaves still on the tree. I decided to wait until the snows have brought down most of them and I can scan along bare branches for the tiny tell-tale hump of an iris cat.

(Lunchtime in Villars yesterday)

I have been pretty busy with school since returning but had time to reprocess some of my India pictures. My favourite group of butterflies is the blues so I thought I'd repost some of those here.

In fact, the most exciting Lycaenid I saw was not a blue but a silverline (Spindasis vulcanus):

This beautiful creature is related to the Cigaritis species of North Africa, that feature tantalisingly in the European books, but in a different genus. It is a small butterfly but quite dramatic when you get up close.

The Zebra blue (Leptotes plinius), which featured recently on UK Butterflies as a mystery lep from Australia, is also dramatic:

It seems to be a common hedge blue all over India.

You don't see many typical Polyommatine blues on the subcontinent. Instead, every patch of rough grass is full of grass blues and their relatives. Of these, the commonest on my trips to India has been the dark grass blue (Zizeeria karsandra). Its haunts and habits are very similar to those of the African grass blue which many forum members have seen in Spain and elsewhere:

This is a tiny butterfly but even smaller is the tiny grass blue (Zizula hylax):

In 2010 I also saw pale grass blues (Pseudozizeeria maha) and lesser grass blues (Zizina otis). Zizula, Zizina, Zizeeria ... Must be some entomological joke.

I saw two species of Cupid - tailed blues in the genus Chilades. The small cupid (Chilades parrhassius) has three dark spots in a row at the base of the hindwing and one dark costal spot in line with the post-discal row:

The plains cupid (Chilades pandava) is similar but has four dark spots in the basal row:

The larger gram blue (Euchrysops cnejus) has similar markings but the costal spot is set at a distance from the discal row (a point I didn't notice until I got back home and needed a definitive way of separating my photos of gram blue and small cupid):

Two more very exciting blues - exciting because they feature in the European books - were the grass jewel (Chilades trochylus) and the African babul blue (Azanus jesous). These have been in my awareness since childhood but I've never before had a chance to see them. The grass jewel is a tiny blue that resembles the ubiquitous grass blues but reveals beautiful detail on the hindwing when seen close up:

The African babul blue is larger but equally nondescript until you get a really good view:

Finally, it was thrilling to see my first tiger blue, in the genus Tarucus. This is the rounded pierrot (Tarucus nara):

We often refer to the 'Latin' names of butterflies, though many scientific names of European species are Greek and retain Greek endings. The words behind the names of many Indian butterflies are not Latin or Greek but Sanskrit. Of those mentioned above, 'nara' (Tarucus nara) means 'man', 'maha' (Pseudozizeeria maha) means 'large' (correctly describing the butterfly) and 'pandava' (Chilades pandava) is a patronymic referring to the sons of Pandu, the heroes of the great Indian epic, the Mahabharata. Being a sanskritist and Buddhist I'm hoping one day to go back to the Western Ghats, where my great grandfather lived and taught, and find the rare, endemic Papilio buddha! :D That will be a special moment, if it happens ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Nice report and lovely photos as usual Guy. Always a joy to read your posts. :D
All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you, Nick. It's good to share butterflying experiences in these forums and I greatly enjoy reading others' diaries - not least yours! I began this diary rather hesitantly, not wishing to flood the site with overseas stuff, so it's always appreciated to get positive feedback.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote: In fact, the most exciting Lycaenid I saw was not a blue but a silverline (Spindasis vulcanus)
Agreed. That's too stunning for words. It looks like an artist's impression.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic pictures Guy. Thanks for sharing them. Blues are my favourite group of butterflies, too. I particularly like the silverline. It looks as though someone has been welding along the wings!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks David and Nick. Yes - that silverline is a wonderful creature. In fact, I nearly didn't get any pictures of it at all because at that time the three school bus drivers were watching me with great curiosity and decided to help by pointing out all the large and bright butterflies that passed! I wanted to get down on my knees and photograph tiny, cryptically coloured, almost invisible insects but they were quite insistent I should catch the large, showy ones, like the orange tips, emigrants and costers. I showed them my first photo of the silverline and they then realised I was onto a good thing there!

Here are the drivers, with one of our school kids, who was equally fascinated by my activities and wanted to try his hand:

The boy caught me in action, demonstrating the classic Padfield one-handed technique on a silverline:

The somewhat creepy grimace is my attempt to photograph a butterfly while acknowledging the general air of hilarity surrounding my weird hobby! :D

This is a detail from the same picture. All my shots are taken from this kind of distance from the butterfly:

My young friend (it's not good form to name photos of students on public forums!) took a few pictures himself. I liked this one of Acraea violae with a Chilades parrhassius sneaking into the photoshoot:

This is his shot of the silverline:

Guy

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Guy. One more convert to the cause!

Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

That Silverline really is amazingly marked and with fabulous long tails. Worth going to India just to see that!

I assume the silver line really is silver which reminds me of something I have always found puzzling – the silver lines on certain Heaths, notably Pearly (Coenonympha arcania), Scarce (C.hero) and my favourite, Dusky (C. dorus). What evolutionary or survival value can these lines have? Here is a fresh Dusky Heath just to illustrate the point.
http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... one_4Jun08_

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Roger. The silver colour is an illusion created by edging grey with white. The cloudy weather meant my photos are not good at that level of detail but this shot shows how it is done:

Notice the perfect continuity of the stripes from forewing to hindwing!

In this butterfly, this is clearly part of cryptic colouration - and it is undoubtedly effective, though it's not obvious that it is more effective than it would be if it were just grey or just white. Perhaps its full cryptic value is revealed when viewed by creatures sensitive to a different spectrum of EM radiation. Or perhaps not - but as several people have pointed out, it is an artist's dream!

Guy

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Many of the showy features of butterflies have to be bling intended to impress the ladies. What other reason could, say, a male silver-washed fritillary have for being visible to potential predators at a range of half a mile?

Possibly the silver braiding on these butterflies serves a similar purpose but has cunningly evolved to serve as camouflage as well!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You could well be right, Matsukaze. And as I mentioned, it is possible the patterns are even more striking to a butterfly eye...

No butterflies today but the skies were beautifully clear when I came home from my last lesson (at 21h30...) and Jupiter was shining out in Taurus. So I decided to get out the camera and photograph some stars. Here is Jupiter beside the Hyades, with Orion rising over the lights of Villars:

This is a 15 sec. exposure of the Hyades and Pleiades, with Jupiter:

The sky was so brilliant I thought the camera might just be able to pick up the Andromeda galaxy - at 2 million light years away, the furthest object visible with the naked eye. I was right, though only the bright central core appears in the picture:

For non-astronomers, this screenshot from Stellarium shows where the galaxy is, so you can pick it out on my photo:

The light entering the camera to make that unfocused dot left the galaxy 2 million years ago and has been travelling through space ever since, throughout the entire evolution of Homo sapiens (the Australopithecus genus became extinct about 2 million years ago)... Quite a thought.

This shot shows the head of Cetus in the middle, with part of Eridanus to the left and part of Aquarius to the right:

All these constellation pictures were taken with my compact Canon PowerShot, using a 15 second exposure. I then processed them in Picasa to bring out the highlights (I pushed the 'highlights' bar fully to the right three times in total for each picture, which brought out the stars while leaving the night sky black). All were taken on maximum wide angle, though some were cropped afterwards. If you use 15 seconds and any significant zoom the stars become short lines in the sky.

I was pleased that this technique preserves star colour. Betelgeuse, a red giant, appears reddish in this picture (it is Orion's right shoulder, on the left as he looks at us):

As I was out looking at the sky, I saw my first Leonid of 2012 - a great fireball that crossed most of the sky. This could be a good portent for the real display, which should peak on Saturday night, I think.

Guy

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Interesting pictures Guy. Another night sky enthusiast and butterfly enthusiasts I see... :)

For my naked eye, Orion is the most easily identified and beautiful collection of stars in the northern night sky this time of year. Even with much local light pollution, always easy to see and identify on a clear, cloudless night.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Ah! Astronomy! A childhood passion of mine, sadly lost after moving to the edge of massively light-polluted London.

Just briefly, regards star colour - look out for Cygnus aka The Northern Cross (I much prefer Cygnus, meaning The Swan) a readibly identifiable constellation. The "tail" star is named Deneb, brightest in the constellation and one of the brightest in the Northern Hemisphere's sky. But the visually interesting star is Albireo which is the "head" of the swan. Have a look through any spotting telescope (obviously an astronomical scope is far better though) or even a good pair of binoculars and be prepared for a surprise!!!

Albireo is actually a binary star, which is two stars apparently side by side. The brighter one is Albireo A and is a gorgeous amber colour and its smaller partner is Albireo B which shines a stunning bluey-green. Totally unexpected for those who think stars are just white specks in the sky!

Guy, I'm consistently amazed by your levels of knowledge of, well, seemingly everything! What other tricks you got up your sleeves? :wink:

Cheers,

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

What other tricks you got up your sleeves?
Seth
You should hear him play the piano.
A genuine Renaissance man.

Cheers

Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

:oops:

I think the members of these forums in general have so many strings to their bows we could probably supply all the archery clubs in the country! :D

Perhaps you lot should think about getting together an Eggheads team and winning some money for butterfly conservation (as well as putting those unbearably smug Eggheads in their places!).

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I had to work this morning but got away in time to catch the 12h51 from Aigle into the Rhône Valley, arriving at my target site just before 14h00. Unfortunately, this was already too late. Although I was on the north side of the valley the mountains on the south side were casting long shadows and most of my proposed walk was in deep shade. One meadow, still in sun, that usually has late butterflies, had recently been grazed by horses and there were no nectar flowers left. All this meant I couldn't make a meaningful comparison with this time last year (on 19th November 2011 I visited the same site and saw Queens, walls and a Berger's pale clouded yellow between midday and about 13h30). Nevertheless, I did find a single male Berger's pale clouded yellow today, hill-hugging a little way up from the valley:

He was flying rather weakly and stopping where he could to bask. I think one reason some species hang on for so long here is that they only get about two hours of flight time per day - then it's back into the fridge (when the shadow of the mountains fall) until midday the following day.

I took this photo from the train on the way home. This was in the northerly arm of the Rhône Valley, heading north. As each patch gets embraced by that shadow the temperature drops almost instantly to just a few degrees C:

I took this next photo as I walked home from school the other day. It shows the cold air settling out, with its associated haze, while up here in the mountains we have perfectly clear skies. This phenomenon is very common in winter. The hazy cloud filters out a lot of the sun's heat during the day so we often have warmer weather up here than they enjoy in the valley.

Guy

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

hi Guy, was your leonid heading in the direction of Jupiter/orion? starting above your head and reaching the horizon? around 10pm (uk time) by any chance.

Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Chris. My latest sky photo was taken at about five past ten, Swiss time, and the Leonid passed a little before this. It came from the direction of Leo, which was still beneath the horizon, and travelled across the sky in the direction of Cetus. As meteors are relatively local phenomena, shining as they pass through the atmosphere, I suspect its trajectory (but not its timing) would appear very different from different locations.

I'm not sure when the exact peak is this year but I guessed it would be tonight and am about to take a little walk to see if there is any activity. In recent years it hasn't been a strong shower but there have been a lot of fireballs, which are always good to see! Leo doesn't rise until about midnight at the moment but the meteors can be seen long before it rises. Obviously, you see more after it rises, as you can see those radiating in all directions, rather than missing all those heading down below the horizon.

I vividly remember my first meteor shower. It was when I was a child and we were camping in Scotland. My sister and I slept in the car - a Maxi, with a large, sloping rear window. We lay there, watching amazed as shooting star after shooting star pierced the sky. Those were the Perseids, the August shower. Since then I have lain outside through many a Perseid shower, transported back to my childhood...

Thanks for reminding me!

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I spent a good half hour watching the sky and taking photographs tonight, during which time I saw two bright fireballs and half a dozen more modest meteors. Neither of the fireballs coincided with a photo, though one of the meteors did - and left no trail at all. What did leave a trail was an aeroplane that passed as I was photographing Andromeda. I used a higher ISO, which brought out more of the galaxy but also meant the picture was much more grainy so I couldn't boost the whites as I did with the low ISO pictures the other night. This shot shows the Andromeda galaxy as a fuzzy spot, with the plane passing to the left:

This was the shot a meteor passed through, also taken with a higher ISO than the other night (Auriga to the left, Taurus to the right, with Jupiter - and no sign of the meteor):

Finally, the Rhône Valley by night:

Some locals stopped and chatted to me. They had also taken a night-time walk to look for meteors and were quite well acquainted with the sky. Nevertheless, I tried in vain to point out the Andromeda galaxy to them (at their request). I've never been able to get school kids to see it either. I must buy myself a laser pointer...

Guy

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Guy, i know the feeling with regards to meteor showers, I've watched all the visible from the UK ones. one year i had frost on my sleeping bag after laying outside for the leonids. i've watched MIR when it was up there, ISS i see regularly. And if you want to wind less knowledgeable friends up, be outside and show them an iridium flare, that'll get them going. (well it worked on my old neighbours) :lol: it had me doubting my sanity the first time i saw one. Thank heavens for the intenet or i'd still be wondering to this day.

Can i ask a favour Guy, on your last jupiter shot, i took the liberty of sharpening and increasing the contrast, is this a true reflection of the number of stars in the picture if the same is done to the original?
jupiter17nov2012a.jpg
Thanks
Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”