First half of April - Where to go ?

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Willem

First half of April - Where to go ?

Post by Willem »

Dear,

As winter time is lurking around the corner, we're planning our Easter Holidays 2013. Last couple of years we went to Porto, Valladolid, Sicily, Sofia at around the same time.. although butterflies were present when visiting the regions, we would like to have your guidances on a region to be visited during that period so the chances to have a number of butterflies present and take some pictures would be maximized.. I know the period is not yet optimal.. but with kids going to school, we need to take this period as a given.

So any guidance to visit in Europe first half of April ? Eventually listing target species..

Thanks a lot.
Kind Regards

Wim Melis - http://www.pyrgus.com
David M

Re: First half of April - Where to go ?

Post by David M »

If you check out Guy Padfield's website you'll see how many species you can expect in his part of Switzerland prior to mid April.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Willem,

I would consider Cyprus or South West Turkey, in early April and at low altitude butterflies will be on the wing and sunshine is more or less guaranteed too.
Sylvie
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David M wrote:If you check out Guy Padfield's website you'll see how many species you can expect in his part of Switzerland prior to mid April.
Indeed - this year I had seen 32 species by the end of March, including species seen on a couple of day-trips just across the border into Italy. But it should be remembered that the weather is very unpredictable and ambient temperatures may still be very low in April. So no guarantees!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gary Hulbert

Post by Gary Hulbert »

Hi Willem, if you consider Sylvie's suggestion of Cyprus you will then be looking at a possible 44 species for this period with the added weather benefits. Have a look at this site, Eddie John whos site this is, is very helpful also http://www.cyprusbutterflies.co.uk/

Cheers Gary
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I would have thought that anywhere in Southern Europe would be good in April. I saw 24 species during a family holiday to the Algarve in April 2010 and that was just me going for a few local walks and checking out odd patches of waste ground. A week in Southern Spain in April 2011 only produced 13 species. Both of these holidays were with the family, so if I had spent more time hunting for butterflies I am sure I would have seen a lot more.
David M

Post by David M »

I know it's not Europe, but would it be worth checking out Morocco?
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Nick,

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I had written a short report on Cyprus after a holiday in early April on the island.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1788
If you decide to go there you will need to stay near the coast for butterflies. A trip to the mountains or higher up in altitude at this time of year yielded no butterflies and hardly any flowers, it was too early even at this latitude.

David M mentionned Morocco, I went there at the end of March for a hiking trip (Atlas mountains), it could indeed be a good destination. I remember seeing some spotted adonis blue on a mountain track but again if you are based near the coast I am sure there will be some interesting species there too. One thing to bear in mind is that you will be bothered by people over there, nothing nasty off course just curiosity but this can become a real problem especially when taking pictures of wildlife.

Hope you find a suitable destination anyway.
Sylvie
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm about to book a self-propelled trip to Samos (Greece) for ten days mid-April - maybe a little early, but I'm also hoping to track down some decent bee orchids to photograph. Also a good spot for Eastern Festoon and possibly False Apollo, I believe, not to mention for one or two good birds on passage (if that's your thing!).
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

The biggest surprise of my trip to Cyprus - two weeks, starting on the fourth of April - was the almost unbelievable lack of butterflies. Splashing out on The Butterflies of Cyprus was certainly a waste! It was rather cool for much of the time, which may well explain it.

It was a pleasant trip though.
John W

Post by John W »

I too went to Cyprus for the first week in April last year and didn't see a single butterfly :(

Cheers
John
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

John W wrote:I too went to Cyprus for the first week in April last year and didn't see a single butterfly :(

Cheers
John
I think I only saw one: swallowtail! Mole cricket was my insect highlight.

Return to “Overseas”