Releasing butterflies?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Wattsy

Releasing butterflies?

Post by Wattsy »

What's the policy on releasing butterflies that have been reared from larvae? I had intended raising some Brown Hairstreak's next year and photographing their lifecycle (minus the egg stage), and then releasing them on a local nature reserve, but then I got to thinking that this could mess up local butterfly survey's (Brown Hairstreak's are not known at this reserve even though the habitat is there). I already ordered 5 Clouded Yellow pupae that could really skew a survey if people start reporting them in Lincolnshire. I'm in a bit of a pickle really as I was really looking forward to it but now I'm not so sure, I'd be grateful for any thoughts and opinions on the issue.

Cheers
Matt
David M

Re: Releasing butterflies?

Post by David M »

Don't release your Hairstreaks at all, unless you collected the eggs/larvae from a specific location in which case by all means return them once they have developed to the adult stage.

I guess Clouded Yellows aren't quite so problematic, as they practically all have their origins on the Continent and so, like Painted Ladies, can turn up almost anywhere.

Return to “General”