RFI: Alner's Gorse & Shipton Bellinger for Brown Hairstr

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
paulmarshall

RFI: Alner's Gorse & Shipton Bellinger for Brown Hairstr

Post by paulmarshall »

Hi

I will be in Dorset during mid August and was hoping to try the above sites for Brown Hairstreak.

Does anybody know how reliable these sites are? Would also like some more specific details as where to go and any tips for seeing them at these sites.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best wishes

Paul
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Paul, the Shipton site is only 10 mins up the road from me, and I will be checking it out over the next couple of weeks. If no one else comes up with the info you need, then I will let you know numbers and exact site details after I visit.

Gruditch
Lorne

Post by Lorne »

Hi Paul, last year Alner's Gorse was just heaving with butterflies, I saw lots of Brown Hairstreak there on the 1st of August. The best area was after the pond, on the left (West) following the hedge and brambles. I was going back today but after a disastrous day at Bentley Wood I fear most of the butterflies have succumbed to the weather!
Here is one from last year, regards Lorne.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Paul, had a look at the Shipton site today, big fat 0. :cry:

Gruditch

Does anyone know if there are any sightings at Noar hill yet. As we my take a trip out there tomorrow.
Lorne

Post by Lorne »

Hi Paul, I went to Alner's Gorse yesterday, apart from a friend who saw 2 in the morning, there must have been about 10 of us looking but nothing this year at all.
Lorne
paulmarshall

Post by paulmarshall »

May have seen you there. I spent nearly three hours at Alner's Gorse yesterday (Saturday) afternoon but no sign of any Brown Hairstreaks. Thanks to those that have replied to the thread so far.

Paul
eccles

Post by eccles »

Lorne, I got as far as the bottom of the track into the reserve today then had to scurry back to the car as a whole train load of torrential showers ploughed through the area and I didn't get to explore it, so I don't know the layout at all. I intend to go back this week, weather permitting, so could you direct me towards the location where you saw brown hairstreak last year please? I have no idea where the pond is.
Thanks.

Return to “Sites”