Ash dieback

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
dilettante

Ash dieback

Post by dilettante »

This Ash dieback disease looks worrying, but can anyone comment on the possible impact on butterflies? The one that came to my mind was White-letter Hairstreaks which seem to like congregating around ash (and they've alread suffered the loss of elm trees). I don't know if they *depend* on ash though?

Are there any other butterfly species that depend directly or indirectly on ash? Any moths?

The BBC keeps saying it's killed 90% of ash trees in Denmark, but what of other countries?
David M

Re: Ash dieback

Post by David M »

Purple and Brown Hairstreaks have a penchant for ash too, as it seemingly provides a richer source of honeydew than other native trees.
essexbuzzard

Re: Ash dieback

Post by essexbuzzard »

I too am interested in it's impact in other countries,apart from Denmark which is the example the media always use. I think the disease was first noted in Polska or other countries in eastern Europe way back in the 1990's,so what is the impact there?
And will it be that bad? They said all the Conker trees could die of leaf miner moths,yet they seem undamaged,apart from the leaves shriveling by the end of August.
We can only hope it is something of a 'storm in a tea cup',for if it is as bad as Dutch Elm Disease,it will be devestating.

Return to “General”