Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

We arrived in India last night. While the kids were sleeping off their jet-lag, I got up early this morning and wandered the streets of Mumbai looking for places where I might find a few butterflies. It was a glorious day and I had a magical time. Indians watched in fascination as I knelt down in the streets or muddy tracks and despite there being so many of them they were far more respectful than a lot of Swiss and didn't get in the way of my taking pictures. Along grassy tracks (Google Earth was essential to find such things within walking distance of the hotel) I was able to find several blues, including Zizeeria karsandra, Leptotes plinius and Euchrysops cnejus. These pictures (in that order) have only been processed on my iPad, which is all I brought - I'll reprocess when I get back to Switzerland.

Common grass yellows, Eurema hecabe, were numerous:

Beautiful yellow orange tips, Ixias pyrene, were conspicuous but I couldn't get a photo, and the Psyche, Leptosia nina, was everywhere but never seemed to stop. This butterfly is closely related to the wood white and has similar behaviour on the wing, dithering and almost settling, then settling a moment, then off... I got some poor pictures last time I was in India.

Common crows, Euploea core, were zooming all over the place and I never saw one stop. This is an unrelated mimic, Hypolimnas bolina, photographed with the phone at lunchtime through the hotel window ...

Other things I did manage to photograph included a common albatross, Appias albina, a common castor, Ariadne merione and a Danaid eggfly, Hypolimnas misippus, mimicking a plain tiger, this last right in the busy streets of Mumbai. I risked my life for those pictures!

In the afternoon we had a fascinating tour of the slums on foot, lasting about two and a half hours. We couldn't take cameras, quite properly, as a matter of privacy, but there were very few butterflies there anyway among that incredible density of humanity and industry.

I saw about fifteen species today in total - or at least, I identified about fifteen species - including, in addition to those above, several swallowtails, other Danaids and Catopsilia whites. Not huge - but not bad for downtown Mumbai.

Guy

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A cultural day in Bombay. Everywhere you go in the city you see butterflies - crows (Euploea sp.), Indian monarchs, Catopsilia sp., Hypolimnas sp., blue tigers and their relatives, swallowtails ... And Lycaenids flitting around trees and hedges. With a group of students to keep track of, though, it was impossible even to think of getting the camera out to record any of them.

This is part of my group at the Gateway of India - I'm the one with the white cap.

The picture was taken by an Indian with a portable printer.

This panorama shows what can happen if someone walks by when you are taking an iPhone panoramic shot :D :

Our last point of call today was Gandhi's house:

Never a truer word ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Sounds like a fantastic trip already Guy. It is great seeing the species that are closely related to other species from Europe and other parts of the world. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

hilary

Post by hilary »

Must be great seeing all those in such a big city. Maybe in somewhere as exotic as India there is no need to plant foriegn exotic plants as their native plants can't be out-'exotic'd' by imports so there are still larval food plants?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It is indeed amazing what you can find in the most ordinary places around this huge city. Many of the plants that host good numbers of butterflies don't actually look that exotic, though of course they are different from our native European species.

This morning we took the students to the Buddhist caves of Kanheri:

As that picture suggests, it was wonderful country for butterflies but my place was with the guide (the lady in the picture), helping her explain the history and mythology of the caves, and I wasn't able to devote more than cursory attention to the insects. Great orange tips (Hebomoia glaucippe) drifted past, as well as yellow orange tips (Ixias pyrene). There were plenty of common grass yellows (Eurema hecabe) and gram blues (Euchrysops cnejus) lurking by the paths, as well as lemon pansies - almost the only species at the caves I was able to photograph:

I also found my first skipper of the trip, this huge fulvous pied flat (Pseudocaledenia dan):

Another species I did get a poor shot of was a common bluebottle (Graphium sarpedon) that flew just as I ckicked the shutter:

Hypolimnas misippus was common, as was the species the female mimics, Danaus chrysippus, but I couldn't get a shot of either. Common mormon (Papilio polytes) was another swallowtail. I saw males and either several females or several of the species it mimics, the rose swallowtails. Other species near the caves were the common wanderer (Pareronia valeria), the Indian monarch (Danaus genutia), Euploea sp., Hypolimnas bolina and common sailors (Neptis hylas), looking in flight exactly like European gliders of the same genus.

This is a common castor (Ariadne merione):

This rather tatty individual is still a mystery to me. I'll identify it at leisure (unless someone reading this diary can tell me what it is). It looks most like a large tortoiseshell (but isn't one).

We left the Buddhist caves and visited a Jain temple, where I was also unable to photograph butterflies.

Finally, we dumped the kids in a western shopping mall, which is their natural environment, and I scouted around the verges by the carpark for butterflies. That proved to be very productive. I saw many plains cupids (Chilades pandava)...

And also small cupids (Chilades parrhassius):

EDIT: I've been analysing my pictures on return from India and this one doesn't show parrhassius. I do have other pictures of parrhassius from the trip, which can be seen here: http://www.guypadfield.com/smallcupid.html. I'm not 100% sure what the butterfly in this picture is.

This is a gram blue (Euchrysops cnejus):

A zebra blue (Leptotes plinius):

And the last blue today, dark grass blue (Zizeeria karsandra):

A peacock pansy (Junonia almana) flew in and briefly allowed a shot of its leaf-like underside:

I saw my second species of skipper for the holiday. There were several small branded swifts (Pelopidas mathias) perching momently then zooming off places:

This Colias sp. has so far eluded identification:

I say Colias - but it might prove to be a species of Colotis. In fact, I think it may well be Colotis amata, the small salmon Arab. I have quite a good book with me but a much older and more comprehensive book back home in Switzerland.

Here is a common grass yellow (Eurema hecabe):

Finally - with all these butterflies you would expect a predator or two to be lurking in the bushes, and thus it was:

Guy

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Guy,

It's great to see so many exotic species at this time of year :D
I think your mystery butterfly might be a Baronet (Symphedra nais).
See http://ifoundbutterflies.org/459-sympha ... a-nais-dp1

Vince

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Vince - I think you're right. I've got the evening off and am studying my book over a curry. I had just come to the same conclusion! :)

My portable book is published by the Bombay Natural History Society and covers about 735 species. I'd be interested to know what book you use.

G

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Guy,

I really wish I had some good butterfly books covering the exotic species. In fact all I have for that part of the world is a small pamphlet of the butterflies of Napal and a mini photographic guide covering Goa (both of which I picked up when I visited those countries). They are so thin that they only take up a total of 8mm of space on the bookshelf. Nevertheless they are a starting point and often lead me to a useful website.

On the subject of good websites...........I tried looking up Colotis amata on your behalf and got this: http://ifoundbutterflies.org/465-colotis/colotis-amata
I will certainly be adding the Indian Foundation for Butterflies to my favourites list :D

Enjoy your trip.

Vince

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant, Vince - what a great site! It didn't really work on my iPhone, for some reason, but on the iPad it comes through in all its glory. Definitely Colotis amata, then - so another life tick to add to the list! :D I only got one lifer in Europe this year - the hermits in the Jura - so it's good to keep making progress here...

I bought three days' internet at the hotel, which runs out in about an hour, should I fail to reply to any interesting comments later on! Tomorrow we leave Bombay (one of the locals told me everyone called it Bombay, not Mumbai) and fly south to Tirupur where we run educational projects. For the students, the cultural holiday turns into a service project. Again, I won't get much time for dedicated butterfly-watching but I can't complain. As (free) work trips go, this is a pretty good one and I couldn't possibly afford a trip to India if I were paying myself. Everything's a bonus.

Guy

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Guy,

Just to say I'm really enjoying reading your reports, especially as I've travelled around India on several occasions. I recall you mentioning in my diary that the Ariadne ariadne I photographed back in March brought back memories to you, when you watched its close cousin, Ariadne merione, in the cemetery in Kolkata where your grandfather is buried. I'm pleased you managed to see and photograph this species. I do like your Lycaenids, especially the Plains Cupid (Chilades pandava).

I have a copy of, The Book of Indian Reptiles by J C Daniel (1989), which is published by the Bombay Natural History Society. I thought I'd try to look up your lizard and would suggest it is most likely a juvenile Oriental Garden Lizard (Calotes versicolor); also known as the Eastern Garden Lizard, Changeable Lizard or Bloodsucker! The book describes that the female and young "usually with two lateral stripes with patterns in between" and "New born and young feebly iridescent golden yellow with brown patterns".

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for your comments, Mark, and the lizard information. I have the BNHS bird book with me too (The Book of Indian Birds) - perhaps I should get the reptile one.

Today was a travel day but I did get a brief chance to look around after we reached Tirupur. New for the trip were Zizula hylax (another butterfly that flew in my grandfather's cemetery in Kolkata) and Acraea violae. I got reasonable shots of the former:

You can't really tell from the picture but this is an absolutely tiny butterfly - far smaller than the other common small blue, Zizeeria karsandra (which is almost identical in size, appearance and habit to the African grass blue, Zizeeria knysna).

The Acraea didn't hang around and I only got rather unfocused proof of the sighting. But it's a common species and I will probably see more:

There were more Plains Cupids (C. pandava) and dark grass blues (Z. karsandra), both species I now feel quite familiar with. But I think this was a new one - the striped albatross (Appias libythea):

The unspotted forewing apex seems to rule out common albatross.

Here is another small salmon Arab (Colotis amata):

It does look remarkably like a species of Colias, but isn't.

The next few days may provide no opportunities at all to watch butterflies as we will be working full time at school during the day. It's been a good autumn pick-me-up already, though.

Guy

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Thanks for posting all those images Guy, really enjoyed seeing them.

As so many insects appear to have large chunks of their wings damaged or missing, i supect predators are far more numerous out there.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Guy. We visited Goa in early November in 2006 and I recall seeing many different types of butterfly. Unfortunately, my interest in Lepidoptera back then had not been reawakened so I didn't record anything that I saw.

Must be a bit frustrating for you, having to largely put aside your passion due to your chaperone status?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A language class at the Prem Switcher school near Tirupur. They will be getting a Padfield geometry lesson tomorrow, poor things.... More commentary to come...

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Snatching internet time between duties (because I'll never find time to write this up when I get back and the second half of term starts).

We spent the morning at the Switcher Prem school, which my college, Beau Soleil, sponsors. They turned out in style to greet us:

In the afternoon we joined the mobile school, also sponsored by Beau Soleil. This is a bus which goes around to underprivileged quarters picking up tiny little people, who it takes to a small, makeshift school outside town. At the end of the school day it returns them to their homes.

Our students, from rich backgrounds and used to all the latest technology in one of the most expensive schools in the world, bonded instantly with their new friends.

Switcher, our partner, is a Swiss clothing brand, making T-shirts and sweatshirts &c., ethically sourced and with profits going to projects like this.

I was able to find a few butterflies too. While we drove through the countryside plenty of orange tips (Colotis sp probably), yellows, whites and swallowtails drifted by. In rough places, when I had a moment, I photographed blues, including this Tarucus nara, a new species for me:

It is closely related to the European tiger blues.

I also saw one of the fourrings (Ypthima sp.) but wasn't able to get a picture or identify it properly. There were various cupids and other blues around, and this white, which I haven't identified yet:

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A working day but I was able to snatch a few moments to look for butterflies. The problem was that every time I took out my camera, wherever I was on the grounds of the school, hordes of little children gathered around, like bees to a honeypot, to have their picture taken:

Despite this, I was pleased with some finds. Here are a male and female crimson tip (Colotis danae), with the underside of the female:

This is a plain tiger (Danaus chrysippus):

And a tiny grass jewel (Freyeria trochylus):

This is a mottled emigrant (Catopsilia pyranthe) - closely related to the 'European' African migrant (Catopsilia florella):

Finally, this common rose (Atrophaneura aristolochiae) never descended lower than high flowers in the trees but I got a few poor photos:

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It is the wet season. Until now we have had rain only at night but today it was non-stop, from about 01h00 last night until now, late afternoon, when it is pelting it down. Nevertheless it was warm enough for butterflies to be active. In the morning, this plain tiger (Danaus chrysippus) was roosting beneath a leaf...

... and this common gull (Cepora nerissa) was in low vegetation by a tree:

At lunchtime the rain eased off a little, though never stopped, and blues and other species flitted around rough corners of the school yard.

This, I think, is a small cupid, Chilades parrhassius, though it is rather different from previous ones I have seen. One to check up:

This is Acraea violae:

Here is an orange tip of some species - perhaps Colotis eucharis. It had orange tips, and was certainly not one of the crimson tips I had seen in the same place, but it never rested with its wings open and I'm not quite sure about it yet. EDIT: from the Indian Foundation for Butterflies pages I think this is Colotis aurora. Indian books apparently list this incorrectly as C. eucharis.

This, I think, is a common threering (Ypthima asterope). If I'm right about its identity, it is the same species called the African ringlet in European books. I will investigate again in the same place tomorrow, when perhaps it won't be raining on me...

So far as the kids were concerned, rain certainly didn't stop play, and one group even made some butterflies for me:

Here is another group proudly presenting their work:

For the most part, our students are doing play-school-type activities with the younger kids. I have taught a geometry lesson for the older ones and had hoped to do a biology lesson today, on the butterfly life-cycle, but the programme was changed so that will wait till tomorrow. Instead, we looked around the plant where Prem-Switcher processes raw organic cotton and turn it into the thread to be used in their clothing (and sold elsewhere too):

Guy

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I'm really enjoying your Indian diary, Guy. It sounds as though you are having an amazing time.

David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:I'm really enjoying your Indian diary, Guy. It sounds as though you are having an amazing time.
Indeed. Be honest, Guy, this trip ticks practically all the 'Padfield' boxes. :)

I envy you.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks, Nick and David. I'm glad you're enjoying the glimpses of India.

After devastating weather across Tamil Nadu yesterday, the government ordered no school today. Sadly, that meant once again that I couldn't deliver my butterfly lesson. Instead, we met the teachers at the school and the men and boys played cricket together while the women and girls did saris. That is, the female teachers taught our girls how to wear the new saris they have all had fitted. Very elegant indeed!

A few butterflies:

Common silverline (Spindasis vulcanus):

African babul blue (Azanus jesous):

Tawny coster (Acraea violae):

Colotis sp. (I think female eucharis/aurora):

And our girls showing off their new saris!

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”