cabbage white chrysalis full of flies

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
allyson208

cabbage white chrysalis full of flies

Post by allyson208 »

hello everyone. For a couple of years now i have noticed that most of the cabbage white chrysalis on my house have a tiny hole in them and are full of minute flies. Can anyone tell me what species these flies are and how they get there. Many thanks
NickMorgan

Re: cabbage white chrysalis full of flies

Post by NickMorgan »

I notice that no one has replied! I am aware of wasps that lay eggs into the caterpillars of Large Whites, but I think they emerge while it is still a caterpillar.
I had some Small White chrysalises on the house a couple of years ago and I saw small black wasps taking an interest in them. Some of the chrysalises didn't eclose and later I found small round holes on them, so presumably the wasps had laid eggs in them and this is where the next generation had emerged.
Sorry I can't help with your flies, but I am sure you will find information via Google.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Allyson,

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but I suspect that the flies are probobly small parasitic wasps (generally described as gregarious pupal endoparasitoid wasps). There are so many species that it is often very difficult to pin down an exact name, but here is a link to a site I found whilst researching the subject. http://pk-photography.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... parum.html . There are flies which aslo parasitize butterfly pupae, but these tend to be relatively larger.

Interestingly, some of these species of wasp are used as a biological control against butterfly pests such as Cabbage Whites.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote:
Interestingly, some of these species of wasp are used as a biological control against butterfly pests such as Cabbage Whites.
That is interesting, Vince. I never knew that.

Return to “General”