Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you both for your very kind comments :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Mark,

I'm just catching up after being away myself.
Great report and photos from your own trip. If there was a Species Album for Seals, I would have no hesitation in asking for your images, but will settle for all of the lovely Speckled Woods instead :mrgreen:

Regards,

Vince

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 10 September 2012 – Part 1

Size DOES matter …

Despite leaving it several days before heading down to take a look, the beautiful 2nd calendar year male Red-footed Falcon (Falco vespertinus) was still showing well over Nunnery Lake near Chichester early this morning; a lifer for me. I managed to watch it for about an hour, during which time it hawked dragonflies over the reed beds below its vantage point in a large ash nearby. With strong winds and its perch about 100 metres away, my little Lumix really wasn’t up to the job; though I gave it a go (record shot below) ...

This really was a case of size DOES matter …
UKBP1020209.JPG
UKBP1020231.JPG

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
Good effort with the Red-footed Falcon. As you say, trying to photograph something of that size sitting in a tree 100 metres away is way beyond Lumix capabitilies. When I attempted it the light was failing, so even getting a record shot was hard work. Fantastic bird and impressively agile while whacking dragonflies. I wonder how much that chap's bazooka cost?
BWs, Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 10 September 2012 – Part 2

Vanessids …

With the falcon in the bag I hot-footed the short distance over to Rewell Wood in the hope of catching some Nymphalid action; I wasn’t disappointed …

Proceeding up the main gravel track towards the small woodsman’s hut, Red Admiral were plentiful. The main block of purple scented buddleia just before the sawmill produced further activity, with good numbers of Red Admiral, a solitary Comma, several Large White, a Green-veined White and two Painted Ladies; one in pristine condition. A short walk along several of the adjoining tracks soon added Small White, Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood. As I returned along the forestry track past the woodman’s hut once more it was early afternoon. The two Painted Ladies were still around with the better of the two specimens regularly landing on the track to gain warmth.
UKBP1110972.JPG
It was at about this time that I noticed a Peacock, one of very few I’ve seen this year, sitting wings closed, in the middle of the track straight ahead of me. Apart from a tiny tear in her right hindwing she was in really nice condition. She allowed an extremely close approach and this very personal encounter was undoubtedly the highlight of my afternoon. Later in the day I spoke to Neil (Sussex Kipper) who suggested “she may have gone into hibernation and then popped back out for a feed”.

This would certainly explain her rather sleepy behaviour …
UKBP1110865.JPG
UKBP1110887.JPG
UKBP1110898.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Common Blue

Variations on a theme ...

The female Irish form of the Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus ssp. mariscolore), which also occurs in the north and west of Scotland (including the Orkneys and Hebrides), is typically extensively marked with blue on the upperside of both its fore and hindwings. In addition, the orange marginal spots are generally larger and brighter than those found on the, also slightly smaller, nominate subspecies.

I mentioned in my recent diary posts that many of the Common Blue females I found on the Isles of Scilly were strongly marked with blue; many to a point that some were almost touching on the blue colour intensity of the Irish subspecies. Although I have seen a small number of the brown form on the mainland this year most have been blue, though not as bright or as beautifully marked as a those observed on the Scillies. Female icarus can vary greatly in the amount of blue present; this is particularly noticeable geographically to the west and north of their range. There are also many named and unnamed aberrations of this beautiful butterfly.

A blue female from St Mary's ...
UKBP1110318.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
That's one of the most beautiful CB females I've ever seen.
BWs, Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Neil,

She was certainly a bit special ... :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Ticehurst, 18 September 2012

Pick your own …

Further to reports from Tony Lloyd and Malcolm Phillips on the Sussex BC website (12th and 13th September 2012) of 1000+ Red Admiral and numerous Comma observed at Maynards PYO fruit orchards located at Windmill Hill Farm on the outskirts of the East Sussex village of Ticehurst and, more recently, Neil’s report confirming the same, I was keen to take a look ...

Arriving late morning I was soon directed to the orchard where the butterflies are continuing to enjoy the decaying 'Brighton Belle' plums, which have gone unharvested due lack of market and discolouration of the skins. With the scent of fermenting fruit filling the air, the first of many hundreds of Red Admiral and numerous Comma were easily soon found; many of which were in pristine condition. As Neil mentioned in his diary “I've never seen so many in one place in over 40 years of butterfly watching.” I can only agree, a fabulous sight …

Despite reasonable levels of sunshine, conditions were cold and most definitely autumnal, with a chilling wind continually blowing. I couldn’t help but feel that despite the large number of butterflies present, the end of the 2012 butterfly season will soon be upon us …

Species seen:

Small White
Comma
Red Admiral
UKBP1120276.JPG
UKBP1120254.JPG
UKBP1120241.JPG

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Mark,

That final image is of a glorious female which appears to be full of eggs. Although it may appear to be quite late in the season for this species to be laying, I note that an egglaying female was reported by Richard Roebuck at Goring on 15th November last year. This year they actually started laying as early as 20th March here in Surrey.

Vince

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Vince,

Thanks for your message.

I agree, she looks extremely gravid; failing that she's eaten far too many plums ... :lol:

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

I think it would be amusing to visit this place in late afternoon after these insects have spent the whole day necking fermented fruit juice.

I bet they'd be well over the limit.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,

Thanks for your message.
David M wrote:I bet they'd be well over the limit.
I think you'd be right. Certainly by mid afternoon I noticed a change in flight pattern of some individuals ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

I love your photo of the female Red Admiral, an unusual pose and heavily laden with eggs as well. Something i have never seen myself, or just never noticed. A wonderful picture capturing the pure essence of nature.

All the best, Nick.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Nick,
hideandseek wrote:A wonderful picture capturing the pure essence of nature.
I really appreciate your comment :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Earnley Butterflies, 24 September 2012

Revisited (on a very wet day) ...

The Owl (Caligo memnon) is a large and distinctive butterfly commonly found in butterfly houses throughout the UK. In its natural environment, it is found in the rainforests and secondary forests of Mexico down to the Amazon rainforest of South America. The larvae (early instars and egg cluster pictured below on banana) feed on Musa (bananas and plantains) and Heliconia species (lobster-claws, wild plantains or false bird-of-paradise) and can be a serious pest in banana cultivation. The adults feed on the fermenting juices of rotting fruit. Inspired by Vince Massimo's super and continuing work on the early stages of British butterflies, I thought I'd take a closer look ...

The Owl (Caligo memnon) ...
UKBP1000850.JPG
UKBP1080570.JPG
UKBP1080590.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Bizarre caterpillars! They're almost made to look like part-bruised bananas.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Marvellous mini beasts! I'll have to make a trip down to Earnley myself soon :-)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear David and Susie,

Thank you for your comments.

They are certainly bizarre, though I hadn't noticed the very obvious likeness to part-bruised bananas.
Susie wrote:Marvellous mini beasts!
I totally agree. It was things like this that first got me interested in invertebrates many years ago :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

What fantastic little beasties those caterpillars are! In particular, I love the tiny round head on the younger instars and the way they they travel in convoy. Of course you realise you are now on the slippery slope Mark and will have to finish the job. Does Earnley Butterfly House do bed and breakfast? :wink:

Vince

Return to “Personal Diaries”