millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

19th August

A hot day forecast, three boys to amuse? Nothing for it but a trip to the seaside - which for us, our favourite spot means is a long drive down to Studland. We arrived at around 10, and were in the sea within 20 minutes. Wonderful. The dunes at the back of the beach are full of interest - I believe all the reptile species found in the UK can be seen here. While the other two buried each other on the beach, Toby and I had brief wander through the heather, and saw three, possibly four lizards altogether, including one large one that was very close to snapping up a Grayling. There were quite a few of these, well spread out, but pretty well ubiquitous. Also seen were a few Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers, and patrolling the beach at speed were Small Tortoiseshells. I can remember this behaviour from my childhood holidays, and it was interesting to see it again.

The trip home took hours. Sunday afternoon traffic is not friendly.

Dave
Attachments
the one the lizard missed, though maybe not its first encounter...
the one the lizard missed, though maybe not its first encounter...
an annoying piece of grass spoils this one
an annoying piece of grass spoils this one
another missing a chunk of hindwing
another missing a chunk of hindwing
Grayling coastal dune habitat
Grayling coastal dune habitat

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope you were careful wandering the dunes at Studland with a camera what with a the nudies down there :wink:
Cracking shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The eternal confusion between Naturalist and Naturist :)

20th August

Time for the big children to return home, which meant a trip up to Cherwell Valley services on the M40. The return leg allowed a couple of sidetrips, firstly to Whitecross Green Wood for possible Brown Hairstreaks. After all, I saw my first ever BH at the top of an ash tree here. My, it was disappointing - I saw hardly any butterflies at all, merely a few Meadow Browns, a single Small Copper and one Purple Hairstreak on an oak. There was only one "might be" Brown Hairstreak, quite high and languidly flapping between trees - the silouhette looked right, but who knows? One Holly Blue in the car park brought the visit to a disappointing end. The main problem was that there seemed to be barely any flowers. No hemp agrimony, very little angelica and few thistles.

There was still time for an hour at Aston Rowant. The weather was as it always is when I visit - windy with a mix of sunny intervals and cloud but reasonably warm. The profusion of flowers was such a contrast, and butterflies were numerous. Plenty of Chalkhills remained, with courtship and mating taking place everywhere. Silver-spotted Skippers were easy to find, too, settled on the paths and bare patches and including a good proportion of fresh individuals. The wind made any attempt to capture them in a classic nectaring shot pretty well futile, but grounded shots were relatively easy. Again, a couple of mating pairs and some courtship behaviour was seen. Also out today were Meadow Browns, Brown Argus, a few Common Blues, a Peacock and a Brimstone. However, I didn't have time to venture far along the slopes today.

Dave
Attachments
Brown Argus (f)
Brown Argus (f)
Chalkhill soldiering on
Chalkhill soldiering on
Silver-spotted Skipper (f)
Silver-spotted Skipper (f)
Silver-spotted Skipper (m)
Silver-spotted Skipper (m)
Silver-spotted Skipper (mating pair)
Silver-spotted Skipper (mating pair)
Last edited by millerd on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot of the mating Silver Spots Dave :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

21st August

For once, the sun actually emerged at the same time as I did from work, so I sped off to look around my local patch. It was rather late in the day, so most butterflies were setlled down or looking to do so, but I saw Common Blues of both sexes, Meadow Browns, a couple of Gatekeepers and Small Heaths, a Brown Argus and some Small Whites. The Common Blues were to be seen in several spots, including places I but rarely see them, and the overall number was good too. I chanced a glance up at the oak trees next to the motorway roundabout, and was pleased to see a couple of Purple Hairstreaks dancing around the top. Then, as so often seems to happen, I disturbed another Purple Hairstreak low down on a shrub, and watched it gently meander its way up to join the others. On my way home along the wooded path along the River Colne, I was buzzed by two separate Red Admirals for daring to walk through their patches - one of them briefly settled on me to make the point.

Dave
Attachments
hints of turquoise in this one when the sun caught it...
hints of turquoise in this one when the sun caught it...
...whereas this one was more violet in hue
...whereas this one was more violet in hue
settling down for the evening
settling down for the evening
defending this bit of path
defending this bit of path

millerd

Post by millerd »

23rd August

Once again, all I could do this evening was to see how the Common Blues were doing locally. They had already settled down when I arrived, but had chosen an area right along my chosen route. I consequently found myself amidst a dozen or so roosting Blue butterflies. In amongst them and not so settled, was a Brown Argus. This individual was clearly intent on bedding down with his relatives, but only succeeded in disturbing them It was interesting to note that he and the female Common Blues generally kept their wings open longer in the fading light than the male Blues. Meadow Browns were still flying, the odd Gatekeeper and Small Heath, and one Holly Blue. The riverside path had Red Admirals of course, and two Commas and a Speckled Wood. There was one three-way clash between species, a splendid soaring chase around the tops of the ashes and sallows before all retired to their respective vantage points. This Comma was a worn hutchinsoni, but the other one I saw was a fresh summer form, much darker, especially underneath. Finally, there were a few Whites, but in contrast to my last visit, the ones I approached were all Green-veined.

Dave
Attachments
On guard...
On guard...
GVW (male)
GVW (male)
Brown Argus (m)
Brown Argus (m)
Not what it looks like - I think these two are both females
Not what it looks like - I think these two are both females
Common Blue (f)
Common Blue (f)
Lovely male Common Blue
Lovely male Common Blue
Common Blue (m)
Common Blue (m)
Three of a kind...
Three of a kind...
...and another three
...and another three

millerd

Post by millerd »

26th August

It looked like a nice day, so I thought I'd pop down to a spot near the edge of Bookham Common suggested to me last year by Philzoid as a good site for Brown Hairstreaks - probably one of the closest to me as well too. I wandered along the recommended route, and noted an ash tree rising behind the line of blackthorn that bordered the path. After gazing up for five minutes or so, a couple of butterflies made a brief circuit before diving into the foliage again. With no oak trees in the immediate vicinity, and a glint of gold rather than silver, I decided these were probably Brown Hairstreaks (mmust remember to bring the binoculars...). A little further on was a similarly placed ash, and another butterfly made a tour of the top. I ambled back, and before long, who should I come across but Philzoid himself, bent on a similar quest.

We made a couple of round trips along the favoured route (much more lush and overgrown than last year, but with a number of newly cleared areas which would bode well for next year). We came across Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Speckled Woods, a couple of Red Admirals, a new dark autumn Comma, a female Brimstone, Small and Green-veined Whites, two Silver-washed Fritillaries (the one we were near to was very worn), and a trio of Small Coppers. While we were investigating these latter individuals, Phil turned and spotted a female Brown Hairstreak basking on the foliage. He managed a record shot, but she was up and away before I had the lens cap off. Despite an extended ramble, we failed to see any others. Nevertheless, it was a very enjoyable time in good company, and another trip down there over the next couple of weeks seems like a good idea.

Dave
Attachments
Comma1 resized.JPG
Comma2 resized.JPG
GVW1 resized.JPG
GVW3 resized.JPG
SC1 resized.JPG
SC2 resized.JPG
SC4 resized.JPG
SpW2 resized.JPG
Last edited by millerd on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

26th August (further adventures)

Once home, I found a bit of time to have another look at the local Common Blues. There were more females about today at the roosting spot - one was very small, no bigger than a Brown Argus.

Dave
Attachments
CB6 resized.JPG
CB7 resized.JPG
CB5 resized.JPG
CB1 resized.JPG
CB2 resized.JPG
A very small individual
A very small individual
CB4 resized.JPG

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Dave

You got some nice pictures there at Bookham Commons. I particularly like the side on comma with cut-out shape and the contrast of it's dark wings with the white legs 8) .

Am hoping to make another trip but might have to try and persuade my folks to come with me or get them to spend an hour or two at Wisley (it worked last year when my mum came with me to Denbies and I got some Silver-spotted Skipper spotting in while she soaked up the fresh air and the lovely view :lol: )

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Dave it's nice to see a brown common blue if that makes sense :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Indeed it does, Wurzel. There are three different individuals there, and they were all mostly dark rather than blue. I hope to get a chance to survey a bit further locally towards the end of the week.

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

28th August

A very brief look at Denbies this afternoon - it was quite sunny and warm, but very windy (again!), so photo opportunities were virtually non-existent. However, whipping past on the breeze, there were still good numbers of Chalkhill Blues of both sexes and plenty of Meadow Browns. Aside from that, I saw a couple of Silver-spotted Skippers that stopped to nectar long enough to be identified, and one definite male Adonis Blue that very briefly dropped at my feet before careering off downwind.

Only one photograph, a shot of the underside of a female blue - but which one?

(Looks like a Common Blue to be honest, comparing my photos taken near home recently. Which would be ironic, considering the overwhelming preponderance of Chalkhills at Denbies...)

Dave
Attachments
Female Blue resized.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Dave? Your blue has got me confused as it looks like a Chalkhill to me...but it is difficult to judge and I'm not sure why I think that:? Still whatever it is it got my little grey cells working, no mean feat after a whiskey or three :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, Wurzel, I thought it was a Chalkhill until I looked at the photo at home. The blue/green colour near the body is not very like a Chalkhill, though, and more like a Common Blue. And it doesn't seem quite brown enough for a Chalkhill. Without the fringes, this gets difficult... :?

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

31st August

Following the information given by Simon C that the North Downs slopes east of Box Hill are interesting, I walked along that way today in glorious sunshine (but didn't quite reach the old quarry area). In view of the lateness of the season, I didn't expect or see all that much, but I can see that a couple of weeks ago things would have been very different. As it was, there were still a great many Meadow Browns everywhere, and a fair few Chalkhill Blues. It was surprising to see one or two fairly new males - giving an overall emergence of around eight weeks, I should guess. There were a few Common Blues, Red Admirals, Small Heaths, Speckled Woods and Silver-spotted Skippers, the last of these looking really rather worn now. At one point, a flash of electric blue caught my eye - it was a male Adonis Blue. Sadly, the individual was very small, had badly deformed left-hand side wings, and showed aberrant markings on the "normal" right-hand side. I have rarely seen Adonis Blues at Box Hill, and saw no others today - it was a shame that this one was some way short of perfect.

Dave
Attachments
Fairly fresh male Chalkhill Blue
Fairly fresh male Chalkhill Blue
A little more worn...
A little more worn...
Female Chalkhill Blue
Female Chalkhill Blue
Mating Common Blues
Mating Common Blues
Female Silver-spotted Skipper
Female Silver-spotted Skipper
And again...
And again...
Deformed male Adonis Blue...
Deformed male Adonis Blue...
...showing aberrant underside makings
...showing aberrant underside makings

millerd

Post by millerd »

1st September

The last chance to spend a day on the beach before the school holidays end, so I carted the brood off down to Studland again. Leaving grey and cool behind at Heathrow, we walked onto the sand as the sun came out. (I wish children wouldn't take these things for granted - I was up half the night sacrificing small mammals to achieve that sort of timing... :twisted: )

During the course of the day, we saw a regular succession of Red Admirals fly in from the sea, and a number Small Tortoiseshells patrolling the water's edge. A wander through the heather on the dunes behind the shore showed that the Red Admirals were congregating there, nectaring avidly on the heather in groups of three or four. In this area we also found a Small Copper, a Brimstone and an aged Grayling, plus a great number of Silver-Y moths. We had a bit of lunch and a cup of tea at the NT café, which had potted lavender dotted around by way of decoration. Up pipes Elliot: "Look, Dad, a butterfly. It's a Painted Lady!" And so it was. My first (and thus far, only) one of the year. It too was feeding like there was no tomorrow, and only once paused to bask on the ground - presumably it was also a new arrival from the south. The lavender was also playing host to a White - I initially took it to be a Large White by the size, but I now think it's a Small White because the black tips are not extensive enough for the other species.

Dave
Attachments
PL1 resized.JPG
PL2 resized.JPG
PL3 resized.JPG
PL4 resized.JPG
RA resized.JPG
White resized.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the PL Dave - was that part of the package or did it cost an extra two shrews or half a goat? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Read a posting on a French site reporting 1000's of Painted Ladies at Creux Du Van Switzerland nr French border on Aug 1st, IF we get a settled spell perhaps we may see a few more ? Would go a small way to making amends for the poor show we have had thus far ! :mrgreen:

millerd

Post by millerd »

2nd September

No sunshine hereabouts today, but a brief foray locally in bright and warm conditions at around one o'clock provided a few sightings, notably three Commas sitting within a few metres of each other. Also seen nearby were two each of Speckled Wood, Green-veined White and Red Admiral. All the Commas were of the hibernating kind, but showed a bit of variation in colour.

Dave
Attachments
Comma no. 1
Comma no. 1
Comma no. 1 (underside)
Comma no. 1 (underside)
Comma no. 2
Comma no. 2
Comma no. 3
Comma no. 3

millerd

Post by millerd »

3rd September

What a lovely day. Unfortunately, all except the last little bit was spent in the office. That last little bit, though, I used to walk my local patch in the evening sunshine. Well worth it - the tally was not bad at all:
Red Admiral - 2
Comma - 6
Peacock - 1
Small Tortoiseshell - 1
Speckled Wood - 4
Meadow Brown - 7
Small Heath - 12
Green-veined White - 5
Small White - 3
Common Blue - 15

The Common Blues were in the process of roosting (again!) and several females were noted, including a quite brown example. Some of the Small Heaths were attempting to settle in the same spots, but they were made very unwelcome - a completely different reception than that given to other Blues (several species often roosting communally).

I followed one Small Heath that paused to nectar a couple of times - on each occasion, it briefly twitched its wings open as if irritated by something. I attempted to take a series of shots in quick succession in the hope I might capture a partially open-wing view. The results were mixed, as you can see. The auto-focus didn't, the exposure was too long and my hand was not very steady. Curiously, shortly afterwards I watched a completely different individual do the same thing to a rather lesser extent, also whilst nectaring. Is this a known quirk?

The final butterfly of the evening was a lovely Small Tortoiseshell, basking on a fence.

Dave
Attachments
Backlit Blue
Backlit Blue
Colour contrast
Colour contrast
A brown female
A brown female
A nice male
A nice male
One of only two seen this evening
One of only two seen this evening
Those wings are slightly open...
Those wings are slightly open...
...a bit more...
...a bit more...
...a lot more!
...a lot more!
Glorious colours accentuated by golden evening sunlight
Glorious colours accentuated by golden evening sunlight

Return to “Personal Diaries”