Cherhill - Wansdyke - Knap Hill

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Simon C

Cherhill - Wansdyke - Knap Hill

Post by Simon C »

This is a description of a walk I did in North Wiltshire on Tuesday, which took in several good sites for butterflies. There are a few photos at the end.

I started at Cherhill [train to Chippenham, bus to Calne, walk just past Quemerford and then into the countryside heading up towards the Cherhill/Oldbury white horse]. I absolutely LOVE the area around Cherhill, visiting several times a year. It is a large enough expanse of downs that I am still getting to know it all, and on this occasion found a new flower-rich south-facing slope with good numbers in particular of Adonis and Chalkhill blues, and Wall Browns. 11 species seen in total. From there I cut across to Calstone Coombes, where Adonis Blue, Wall and Painted Lady were seen, and up towards Morgan’s Hill. It was briefly cloudy at this point, and I did not have time to hand around in the reserve, so apart from a few Small Tortoiseshells and more Wall Browns, nothing else was seen.

I then picked up the Wansdyke near the masts at Morgan’s Hill, and walked eastward across the A361, and on to Tan Hill. The Wansdyke is an extensive earthwork dating from the dark ages, the eastern section of which lies in north Wiltshire. I have not previously walked this section of the dyke, and so I was interested to see that the dyke itself provides in sections good habitat for butterflies, and it seems likely that it provides an important corridor connecting sites that cuts through otherwise heavily grazed and ploughed farmland. Fences divide it in places (with gates/styles for easy passage if you are walking it) and the different sections each seem to have their own grazing regimes. The effects would make a good case study for anyone interested in habitat creation, ranging from wonderfully flower rich sections to others devoid of any flowers at all. From my brief inspection, I would conclude the only thing worse than no grazing (heavy, matted grass) is grazing with sheep.

In the flower-rich sections, it was good to see large amounts of Devil’s Bit Scabious, which seems to be doing very well this year in this whole area. I shall have to visit at an earlier time of year to see if Marsh Fritillary are found along the dyke, connecting the populations at Cherhill/Morgan’s Hill and at Pewsey Downs NNR. There were very large numbers of fresh Meadow Browns along this section, plus Whites, Peacocks, Small Copper, and Small Heath. Most noteworthy, though, was the greatest concentration of Small Tortoiseshells I have seen since the summer of ’76 when the neighbour’s border of Asters was covered in them. I did a timed count and reckon there must have been 400 or so individuals along the Wansdyke section from the A361 to just before Tan Hill.

Along this section there were also good views across to mysterious Silbury Hill. 4000 years old, I wonder what the builder’s of the dyke made of it. I recall reading somewhere that an Apollo was once caught at the top of it. Where did that come from!

Just past Tan Hill I left the Wansdyke and entered Pewsey Down’s NNR. The area near Milk Hill was heavily grazed, and had no butterfly interest. However, beneath the Alton Barnes white horse Adonis Blue were again seen. Across the road and the lower slopes of Knap Hill was the final place Adonis Blue and Wall were seen. The vegetation on Knap Hill was noticeably further on than in the area around Cherhill, and the density of butterflies accordingly lower. In the past this has been a successful site for me for Clouded Yellow, but not on Tuesday unfortunately.

Finally, on to Draycott Hill where I took the path off the Downs to Draycot Fitz Payne (the different spellings of Draycot(t) are correct) and walked to Pewsey to catch a train home. I can certainly recommend the Cherhill area (especially), Pewsey Downs NNR area and the section of the Wansdyke heading east from the A361 to Tan Hill for butterflies.

Simon

Flower-rich slope at Cherhill

The view from Cherhill towards Morgan's Hill

Adonis blue at Cherhill

A view along of the Wansdyke

Looking across to Silbury Hill

Yellow flowers were popular with the meadow browns, purple with small tortoiseshells.

Small Tortoiseshells were widespread

Some seemed to be egg-laying in the wheat fields, intermittently resting on the heads.

The Wansdyke again, near Tan Hill - fewer butterflies from here onwards.

Devil's bit at Pewsey Downs NNR ...

... and at Knap Hill, looking towards Draycott Hill and beyond.
CJB

Re: Cherhill - Wansdyke - Knap Hill

Post by CJB »

Hi Simon,
A really interesting read and not a million miles from where I sometimes go in Wiltshire, near Warminster.
It would be interesting to know what species there are throughout the year. Great picture of the Adonis.
Flutter on!
CJB
David M

Post by David M »

Those Meadow Browns are making the most of things!
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

The reference to the Apollo on Silbury Hill is from Emmet and Heath. I just checked. It was in 1920 and coincided with other unusual records of migrants in the UK.

CJB, where near Warminster is that? I did a very enjoyable walk in July, Warminster Station - Battlesbury Hill - Middle Hill - Scratchbury Hill - Cotley Hill then crossing the A36 and returning via lanes through Tytherington, Sutton Veny, through Southleigh Woods on to Cley Hill and back to Warminster Station, after an interesting encounter with a juvenile buzzard in Norridge Wood. I was surprised not to see Chalkhill blues that day. I don't know if they are found on those hillsides, but they looked suitable. There were lot's of Dark Green Fritillaries - I have seen more of those this year than ever before - and Marbled Whites were also exceptional. Southleigh turned up Silver Washed in numbers, and looked suitable for White Admiral although I didn't see any.

Simon
RobS

Post by RobS »

love the field trip reports and the photos.especially the small tortioseshell on the wheat.
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Lovely landscape...

This is crop circle country. Keep an eye open for little green men/suspicious characters with planks (delete as appropriate).
CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning UKB'ers,

Feeling a tad groggy driving my desk today, as our 'smoke detector' decided that 04.15 was a good time to signal that it's battery was running out.
Following something reminiscent of the droid torture scene in Star Wars, I tore it of the ceiling and removed the battery whereupon it continued to 'beep' twice....... I was pretty 'beeped' off when I got up this morning...... :evil:

Simon C, I go for wanders sometimes in the Deverill Valley and sometimes near Larkhill, Shrewton and Chitterne. My quest for a BHS failed this weekend, despite there being two small woods I know of where there are ash trees and blackthorn bushes, but I am convinced I will find one one day. Very :mrgreen: of your DGF's which I failed to find his year; one to add to my tally of species which I photograph on my mobile. This year after a number of first including a PE(!) I am up to 40.

Flutter on!

CJB
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

CJB wrote:Feeling a tad groggy
My sympathy! My car alarm did something similar last Friday and then mystified my local garage too. They finally decided the battery voltage was falling too low and have replaced it. I'm hoping they are right - tonight will tell.

On the bright side, the weather seems to be set fine for the week so, hopefully, there will be some good late-season butterflying. :D

Mike

Return to “Sites”