Small Copper Aberration?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
NickMorgan

Small Copper Aberration?

Post by NickMorgan »

Following me finding a few Small Coppers in an old quarry I mentioned to the friend, Abbie Marland, who told me about this site that they all appeared to have blue scales on their wings. I put this down to the aberration caeruleopunctata. This led us both to check through our photos to see how many Small Coppers in East Lothian have blue scales.
Looking at the pictures suggested that none of the Small Coppers on coastal sites had any blue scales, but a large proportion of those seen inland tended to. We speculated on the reasons for this, Abbie suggesting that it could be something to do with the mineral content of the food plants, as most of the inland sites were quarries in volcanic rock. I wondered about temperature, as others have mentioned this, but then checking pictures I have taken of European Small Copper I only found one that possibly had one blue scale on each wing.
We returned to the quarry yesterday and Abbie took a picture of each Small Copper we saw. Unfortunately, this dashed our theory, as probably more than half of the Small Coppers had no blue on them at all. However, when we looked closely (at the very obliging butterflies, which allowed us to approach very closely), some of them had the merest hint of blue - just one or two scales, while others had quite large blue patches. There was a real variation.
I would have thought that an aberration would be quite an obvious difference, but this seems more like a degree of variation.
I wonder if there is any difference between males and females?
I thought I would mention this on here and see what the collective wisdom can offer!
Here are some of Abbie's pictures.
No Blue
No Blue
One or Two Blue Scales
One or Two Blue Scales
More Blue Scales
More Blue Scales
Just one Blue Scale
Just one Blue Scale
Well Defined Blue Marks
Well Defined Blue Marks
And Again
And Again
NickMorgan

Re: Small Copper Aberration?

Post by NickMorgan »

Thought I should add a picture of one of the butterflies I saw at the same site.
P1010756.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Small Copper Aberration?

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Nick,

As I've mentioned many times on the forums, and in this article: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_variation.php, I consider the "aberration" caeruleopunctata to be within the normal bounds of variation and, in my opinion, shouldn't be classed as an aberration at all. It just crops up way too frequently in comparison with any other aberration I know, and I've come across sites where every Small Copper was this "aberration".

Would be interested in other opinions.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “General”