Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,
Super photos, well done.
All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very nice Mark; lovely shots! Love the photo of the egg :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Mark :mrgreen: As things this way seem to be about a week behind your way I can plan for a visit next week, cheers.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Mark,

A lovely encounter and great results :D

Regards,

Vince

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

May I add to the chorus - fabulous BH shots, Mark!

Mike

Susie

Post by Susie »

Beautiful photos of my favourite butterfly :D

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

What a beautiful butterfly and fabulous picture.

Debbie :) :) :)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you all for your very kind comments :D :D :D

Of course setting my own bar high means I've now got to jump over it ... :shock:

I can't tell you how pleased I was to find her and to be able to share the experience with my son really was the greatest pleasure :D

Thanks again.

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

setting the bar so high means i have plenty of room to go under :lol: great shots Mark.

CHris

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pirbright Common, 15 August 2012

Now you see me …

A female Grayling at rest …
UKBP1110138.JPG
UKBP1110146.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 16 August 2012

Scouting for girls ...

Early this afternoon I headed back to my local patch in the hope of further ‘brownie’ action - I wasn't disappointed ...

With the main meadow being buffeted by fairly strong wind I headed into a nearby sheltered copse. This is an area I know well and have frequently listened to the nightingales which nest here, observed barn owls quartering the long grass in search of voles and watched the roe with her fawn in the mist at first light; at dusk it becomes the hunting ground for bats. At the far end of the copse lies a peaceful sheltered area with abundant blackthorn in varying growth stages. This is surrounded by large areas of bramble with numerous stands of oak and ash nearby.

A beautiful Peacock basking on bramble caught my eye early on. This was soon followed by several male Speckled Wood. Meadow Brown, including a mating pair, were once again the most abundant species along with good numbers of Gatekeeper. Several nice Holly Blue were seen nectaring on bramble though my eyes were drawn to the ash where movement on the lower branches caught my eye. This was soon followed by more activity until one of two Brown Hairstreaks descended to the blackthorn below. Whilst she was busy egg-laying a third individual was observed in the ash above. The first to descend (record shot below) was fairly active and far less content to sit for her portrait compared to her more attractive sister from two days ago. After 10 minutes she was off and up into the bramble before finally flying out of sight. In all, and accounting for at least eight or nine sightings, I believe three individuals were seen; these being two males and the ovipositing female ...

Species seen:

Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Peacock
Brimstone
Small White
Large White
Holly Blue
Brown Hairstreak (3)
UKBP1110211.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 22 August 2012

A sting in the tail ...

Social wasps are among the most familiar and most feared of British insects. In late spring the over-wintered queens sometimes cause alarm as they search for nest sites around our homes and places of work. From late summer onwards their numerous smaller daughters (the workers) commonly cause nuisance and fear to many people. The continuous comings and goings of wasps from under eaves and other sheltered sites betray the presence of a nest. However, these industrious insects have another, beneficial side to their usual stereotyped image. Both queens and workers provide chewed insects and other invertebrates as food for their larvae. Such prey includes many pest species taken from our gardens and agricultural environments. Wasps also visit flowers for nectar and thus play an important role in pollination.

The eight true species of British social wasps all have a similar life-cycle. Nests are built in sheltered sites e.g. in cavities in the ground, in hollow trees or in lofts and outhouses (most colonies of Vespa and Vespula species); or suspended, usually among foliage, from the branches of shrubs and trees (most nests of Dolichovespula species). Each colony is initiated in the spring by an over-wintered queen. She builds a small golf ball sized nest which contains about two dozen cells forming a single layer. In these her first workers are reared. On emerging from their cells as adults, they take over all of the duties formerly performed by their mother, except for egg laying. They add more cells to the circular comb and will build further combs enlarging the outer shell of the nest to accommodate them.

Mature nests of the Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) can be very substantial in size: one example recorded by myself had a circumference of just over 2.25m. The population of a colony can often number several thousand in late summer. A nest is constructed from wood fibres (scraped from rotten or weathered timber by the wasp’s mandibles) which are mixed with saliva to form a tough paper. The horizontal, circular combs each contain many hexagonal cells, the openings of which face downwards. It is in these that the brood is reared. From mid-summer onwards new queens and males are reared. Once mated, the queens seek out sheltered sites in which to over-winter. The remaining nest population survives until late summer or autumn, depending on the species. Nests are never re-used and those in open sites soon disintegrate. The Hornet (Vespa crabro) is the largest European social wasp. The spectacular queens can measure up to 50mm in length; males and workers are smaller.

The queens and workers of all species have the ability to sting. Most stings are painful, but generally harmless, and only affect the area around the sting. However, some people can have an immediate, and more widespread allergic reaction to being stung, such as an anaphylactic shock, which can lead to death in some people. This is fortunately quite rare, affecting approximately 3 people in 100, though this is of little consequence to those who suffer in this way. The destruction of an active wasp nest can therefore be extremely hazardous and should only be attempted by professional pest controllers. In general, if a nest does not pose a threat, it is best left alone.

The Hornet (Vespa crabro) at its nest entrance ...
UKBP1100753.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Steyning Rifle Range, 22 August 2012

Hairstreak central …

Steyning Rifle Range is located to the west of the village of Steyning in West Sussex. In addition to being farmed, the Rifle Range was originally used to train army volunteers shooting skills from the late nineteenth century onwards. The last shot was fired here sometime in the mid 1980s. At about the same time the area became uneconomical to farm and was allowed to go wild. Local residents began to use it for recreational purposes and in 2007 the owners, The Wiston Estate, in partnership with A Rocha (a Christian conservation organization), decided to turn the land into a community conservation area and the Steyning Downland Scheme was born. The 160 acres of chalk downland, designated to be developed for the benefit of wildlife and the local community, is an area comprising of open grassland, a watercourse and ponds and mixed woodland. Working close by this morning, I decided to pop in and take a look around ...

Some early morning movement in the principal master trees was followed by a period of quiet until just before 12.20pm when two pristine females descended almost simultaneously. The first, by a matter of seconds, glided down from the ash overlooking the main reserve. This was followed by the second, found by Colin Knight, at the top of the site. Despite Colin being on his own, his individual sadly disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. The female in the main reserve area stayed around for longer despite being pursued by the numerous observers; making for anything other than a quick record shot impossible. After 10 minutes or so she ascended back to her perch in the ash and was not seen again. In addition to the two females I'd estimate that at least three further individuals were seen, based on the location and behaviour of the sightings, though these remained at high level.

There is no doubt that this is an excellent site for Brown Hairstreaks, despite their appearance in any numbers being rather late this season. If you don't mind the crowds the site is well worth a visit but if you like doing your own thing in a peaceful environment then it's probably best avoided.

I have a feeling things will pick up very soon ...

Species seen:

Brown Hairstreak
Holly Blue
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood
Peacock
Red Admiral
Brimstone
Small White
Large White
Green-veined White
UKBP1010581.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Isles of Scilly, 25 August to 1 September 2012 - Part 1

Revisited ...

Located just 28 miles (45 km) off the southwestern tip of the Cornish peninsula the Isles of Scilly form an archipelago of five inhabited islands and numerous other rocky islets (around 140 in total). An opportunity to take my son and elderly parents on holiday found me venturing back to this beautiful location after an absence of six years. After a five and a half hour car journey and a twenty minute helicopter crossing we finally arrived at St Mary's and the Star Castle Hotel; our base for the week ahead. Our arrival was welcomed by clear blue sky, sunshine and strong westerly winds. I had visions of a rare American vagrant (well you've got to be optimistic) ...

Bags unpacked, a short, late afternoon walk around a small section of The Garrison revealed Large White, Small White, Speckled Wood, Holly Blue, Meadow Brown and a beautiful Red Admiral sheltering from the strong wind.

Sunday

A hearty breakfast (with all the extras) was followed by a circular walk around the outer wall of The Garrison. This produced good numbers of Common Blue, including numerous strongly marked blue females. Scrub ivy grows over much of the more sheltered areas of The Garrison and Holly Blue were seen in greater numbers than I've observed for some time on the mainland. At 1.30pm (after a light lunch) we headed to the high seas for an exhilarating afternoon on board a 225HP RIB in search of the Atlantic Grey Seal (Halichoerus grypus). After a detailed search and with the tide dropping in our favour, several small groups were found around the Eastern Isles. Three of numerous (many out of focus) shots below ...

To be continued ...
UKBP1010887.JPG
UKBP1010873.JPG
UKBP1010852.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Isles of Scilly, 25 August to 1 September 2012 – Part 2

Continued …

Monday

The predicted, heavy rain and strong southwesterly wind arrived overnight with vengeance and forced an urgent rethink of plans this morning. As a sea crossing was unadvisable we headed to the heathland of Halangy Down, located just to the north of Hugh Town; the site of a former Iron Age settlement and Bant’s Carn Burial Chamber (c. 5th BC - 1st AD). Here we found some welcome shelter and several adventurous Meadow Brown and a single female Speckled Wood. It wasn't until 6.30pm that the sun finally managed to push through the heavy grey cloud, though the wind was still to relent ...

Tuesday

With the storms of yesterday having subsided and with a brighter though blustery day forecast, the beautiful island of St Agnes was our destination for today. We spent the morning investigating Porth Killier through to Periglis and Lower Town, located to the north of the island; in the afternoon we concentrated our efforts to the south over the beautiful heather coated granite that forms Wingletang Down. The morning produced our first of six Painted Ladies, my first this season, three Small Tortoiseshell and numerous pristine Red Admiral, many seen coming in over the sea. Two Pied Flycatchers and several juvenile White Wagtail were also seen. In addition to those already mentioned, six other species of butterfly were found. These included Large White, Small White, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, a single Holly Blue and numerous Common Blue.
UKBP1010972.JPG
Wednesday

Following an overnight storm, we woke to a leaden sky and strong westerly winds. As island hopping was out of the question, my son and I decided to hire mountain bikes and cycle to some of the less accessible areas of St Mary's; particularly as a glint of blue sky could be seen on the horizon. A female Green-veined White, my first of the trip, was a good start to the day as we headed north towards Telegraph Hill. After stopping for lunch at Carn Vean we headed out towards Porth Hellick Point and its Neolithic / Bronze Age Entrance Graves (c. 25th - 5th BC). Here we found Common Blue, Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood. A visit to Higher Moors and Porth Hellick Pool Nature Trail, managed by The Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust, provided some welcome shelter from the wind and an opportunity to photograph a pristine male Speckled Wood (ssp. insula). Red Admiral were once again seen in very good numbers, including an individual sheltering from the strong wind blowing across Peninnis Head. A single Small Tortoiseshell was seen nectaring on flowering ivy by the roadside at Carn Friars.

At 4pm, as I sit and write my diary, storm force winds and heavy rain are once again hitting St Mary's ...

To be continued ...
UKBP1110422.JPG
UKBP1110393.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Isles of Scilly, 25 August to 1 September 2012 – Part 3

Continued …

Thursday

A pristine Red Admiral was the first butterfly to greet us as we arrived at Carn Near Quay on Tresco earlier today. Proceeding past Abbey Pool, five Red Admiral and a single Small Tortoiseshell were recorded nectaring nearby. A Hummingbird Hawk-moth was briefly seen. Pool Road, located to the north of Great Pool, proved productive for Speckled Wood and I was able to get several shots of my target. Racket Town Lane provided our first Meadow Brown and a single female Small White; though the small sheltered quarry did not produce the Comma I was hoping for. As we headed along the edge of Castle Down towards Cromwell's and King Charles' Castles good numbers of Common Blue, including a mating pair, were observed; all females, once again, being strongly marked with blue. A male Large White bid us farewell as we left the island late in the afternoon.
UKBP1110445.JPG
Friday

Friday morning, the day before we are due to leave for home, and the winds finally decide to relent. We wake to the best day of the week with gorgeous blue sky and golden sunshine shimmering in the calm, turquoise blue sea below; typical ...

A Red Admiral, that had unwisely ventured into the conservatory where we were having breakfast was, not surprisingly, the first butterfly seen today. Our destination for our final day on Scilly was the beautiful island of St Martin's. Located on the north eastern limit of Scilly, St Martin's could easily hold the title of the most picturesque of all the islands; it is certainly one of my favourites. Arriving in Lower Town and taking a slow walk through the sheltered centre of the island towards Middle Town, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Large White and Common Blue were soon found. Just before the Fire Station and on the approach to Higher Town there is a small quarry on the left of the track and here we found large numbers of Small White egg-laying on nasturtiums.

After a brief stop for refreshments we headed along the track past North Farm where we found a Small Tortoiseshell, further Speckled Wood and a surprisingly obliging female Holly Blue. Heading past Culver Hole towards Chapel Down and its fabulous views, we found a single Painted Lady nectaring on heather. With time pressing on and our boat (bus) due to depart at 2.30pm, we took a short cut across Carn Wethers towards John Batty's Hill; and I'm glad we did as here we found a small isolated colony of Small Copper.
UKBP1110517.JPG
UKBP1110483.JPG
UKBP1110495.JPG
UKBP1110473.JPG
According to the book “The State of butterflies in Britain and Ireland”, the Isles of Scilly have sixteen (16) species of butterflies that are regularly recorded. These include, in addition to the eleven species (11) seen this visit, Ringlet, Peacock, Comma, Clouded Yellow and Monarch. Whole groups or families of butterflies are absent from the islands. For example, there are no species of Skipper, Swallowtail, Hairstreak, Metalmark or Fritillary despite conditions being favourable for a number of species.

The following species have also been recorded:

Large Tortoiseshell
Small Heath
Long-tailed Blue
Brimstone
Pale Clouded Yellow
American Painted Lady
Queen of Spain Fritillary

Recorded this visit:

Small Tortoiseshell
Common Blue
Small Copper
Holly Blue
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Small White
Large White
Green-veined White
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria ssp. insula)
Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina ssp. cassiteridum)

Useful links:

St Mary's Bicycle Hire - http://www.stmarysbikehire.co.uk
Scilly Cart Company - http://www.scillycart.co.uk
Island Wildlife Tours - http://www.islandwildlifetours.co.uk
Isles of Scilly Bird Group - http://www.scilly-birding.co.uk
Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust - http://www.ios-wildlifetrust.org.uk
Archaeological and historical guided walks - http://www.scillywalks.co.uk

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

Lovely photo of the female Holly Blue nectaring, not something you see very often. :D

All the best, Nick.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your kind comments :D

Another Scillonian below; this time one of the local ladies of Tresco.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
UKBP1110458b.jpg

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

What lovely pictures :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark, doing a bit of catching up.

Great reports and photos, I particularly like the Holly Blues and the Isles of Scilly Speckled Wood.

Neil F.

Return to “Personal Diaries”