August 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Hulme

Re: August 2012

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Susie,

Pauline is correct - Richard Roebuck has reported seeing a few male Brown Hairstreaks on the assembly trees (ash) lining the Downs Link disused railway line. No females sighted yet in Sussex. 'New' Peacocks and Brimstones are only just emerging on some sites, and male Purple Emperors are still around in 'visible quantities'. So the season is running a couple of weeks late still. Although we should see the first BH girls fairly soon, I doubt that good, multiple sightings will occur before mid August on our patch, with a peak in early September.

Neil
EricY

Post by EricY »

Warham camp yesterday morning provided me with the flavour of an experience an experiemce I only read about from our regular sthn downland members. Arr 9am & stayed untill 10.45. CHB's all over, guestimate at least 2/300 many females (non last week) & I photographed at least 5 different mating prs. A pleasure to see them dancing all over the banks. Also good number of Gatekeepers. Found a dark one I need id help with please? On to Wiveton downs 6 Grayling a few whites & a mating pr Wall. Cley beach rd I could not get an id photo of the 3 little skips I saw where the Essex were last year. Eric.
Best underside I could get of the dark one
Best underside I could get of the dark one
upperside dark one
upperside dark one
CHB f
CHB f
CHB mating pr
CHB mating pr
CHB 3's a crowd
CHB 3's a crowd
Best I could get of the mating Wall's, did not present themselves well
Best I could get of the mating Wall's, did not present themselves well
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On my morning walk with the dog
P1010657.JPG
we came across eight Brown Argus
P1010625.JPG
P1010613.JPG
A Red Admiral
P1010629.JPG
And what I think is a Small Skipper ( I'll post two views for our Forum Experts!)
P1010637.JPG
P1010644.JPG
There were also 3 Green-veined Whites, a Speckled Wood, a Comma and a Peacock.

And when we got home we found this rather handsome Hover-Fly,one I've not seen before, in the garden
P1010595.JPG
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Many tens of thousands of Chalkhill blues on Arreton Down Isle of Wight this lunchtime. Never seen so many butterflies in the UK before at one time. :D
Ian
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A brilliant day around my regular walk for my annual Wall Brown 2nd brood count with 41 seen. Another count next week as I believe numbers may increase further yet. The wild flowers were out in massive numbers and there were butterflies everywhere nectaring. Many fresh Small Coppers, Brown Argus, Silver Spotted Skippers and Small Blue as well as all the usual suspects. 4 Oak Eggar also seen as well as a Redstart and Wheatear starting their migration.
Attachments
Small Blue
Small Blue
Female Silver Spotted Skipper
Female Silver Spotted Skipper
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

BadgerBob had
A brilliant day around my regular walk for my annual Wall Brown 2nd brood count with 41 seen.
Where was that please?

Jack
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

even numbers in the garden increasing, with 4 peacock , 2 Brimstone, comma, whites(not stopping) and a holly blue between 5-6pm this evening. as i type this 3 peacock still on the buddliea. Nectaring for 2 hours, is this normal? in fact i can now add red Admiral too.

are 2nd brood brimstone males paler than first brood? as so far i've only seen one "yellow" Brimstone but plenty of pale, assumed female.
Chris
A_T

Post by A_T »

Fenn's and Whixall Moss today - plenty of pristine Brimstones - my favourite butterfly. Also lots of Gatekeepers (seem to me to be having a very good year), a few Peacocks and Speckled Woods, plenty of the 3 Whites and Meadow Browns, a couple of Common Blues

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

oh i do like that middle Brimstone.
CHris
Susie

Post by Susie »

There was a perfectly fresh peacock on my garden buddleia yesterday.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Sorry Jack. My local patch is at the back of Seaford, Sussex.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

The following has been copied from Birdguides information reports today regarding a sighting of a Long-tailed Blue butterfly:

"Insect News: A male Long-tailed Blue butterfly on south side of East India Dock Basin, Blackwall between entrance lock and wood today."

Guy said to keep a look out for this species as there were good numbers in Western Europe.
Cheers Paul

Post by Hoggers »

Peacocks have made a welcome return: I've seen four today
P1010670.JPG
P1010671.JPG
P1010690.JPG
And Twelve Brown Argus
P1010678.JPG
a_j_steele

Post by a_j_steele »

Upper thames BC walk to find Brown Hairstreak failed to get the target species but got a good number of other species with Large, Small, Essex Skipper, Small Cooper, brown argus, GV, Large White, Peacocks, Comma brimstones, Speckled Wood and lots of Purple Hairstreak.

Stopped at Aston Rowant on the way home and had very good numbers of Silver Spotted Skipper along with Small Copper, Brown Argus, Chalkhill Blues (everywhere), Common blue, Large, Small White, Peacock, Brimstones and a possible Small Blue
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Eric (EricY) - Your Brown Argus (7th August) is a female.
Hi Hoggers - Your Small? Skipper (9th August) is an Essex.
Neil
EricY

Post by EricY »

thanks Neil, must try harder as I do not seem to get many of these difficult ones right! Eric
EricY

Post by EricY »

This afternoon I ventured out into our local wood for the 4/5th time to try for Purple hairstreaks. finally found them in a relatively young oak near to the old oak they were in last year. The old oak has been badly hit with mildew after all the spring rain. At least we still have some. One I observed was rubbing the hind wings together as it sat on a leaf. The sea mist was bad at Holme & quite cool, thought some of you would like the spider hunting wasp with a huge orange spider I saw dragging it off to its burrow, interesting to watch the struggle in the soft sand. Eric
Purple hs showing bit of wing
Purple hs showing bit of wing
Purple hs taking something from leaf that appears to have been nibbled by possibly a caterpiller & therefor might be cat droppings.
Purple hs taking something from leaf that appears to have been nibbled by possibly a caterpiller & therefor might be cat droppings.
Purple hs disputing leaf
Purple hs disputing leaf
believe this is Episyron rufipes with possibly a crab spider
believe this is Episyron rufipes with possibly a crab spider
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Peacocks have made a welcome return to Wrotham, I saw plenty of pristine individuals today :D

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

nice shot eric, the butterflies are nice too :) and i'd say araneus sp.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisC on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Hoggers wrote: And when we got home we found this rather handsome Hover-Fly,one I've not seen before, in the garden
It's a female Volucella zonaria as there's a gap between the eyes.

Return to “Sightings”