Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Wurzel

Post by Goldie M »

Wurzal I love your Butterfly Pic's, but I love your Rainbow even more ,it's vibrant, I bet it looked great as a back ground to the BFs and Moths.Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie, it’s not too bad for a macro lens shot is it :D

Camping at Downshay...23rd -29th July

I took the family back to my old stomping grounds on the Isle of Purbeck for a few days camping last week. We stayed at our favourite campsite – Downshay Farm with some stunning views of Ballard Down and Corfe Castle. Whilst it was great to be back in Dorset and actually enjoying the sun the butterfly habitat was pretty limited as there was only the hedge behind tent and some longer vegetation down to shower block. I was also limited by time in that I could only snatch 10 minutes here and there before I had to head back to kiddie patrol. That said I took as many opportunities as I could and there were a couple of outings to look forward too as well.
The Hedge behind the tent was a nice mixture of bramble, ferns and small shrubs and it yielded butterflies from the minute we arrived with a nectaring Comma.
002 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Later in the afternoon a very old Red Admiral turned up and I could enjoy a nice cup of tea while Meadow Browns played around my feet. There were also Hedge Browns in good numbers but I’ll deal with them in another post as my variation obsession has returned!
009 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Over the next couple of days the hedge housed a Smessex, Meadow Browns, Small Whites, Hedge Browns a single Marbled White and a much fresher Red Admiral but most species were turbo solar charged and so didn’t stop for very long. Even the Meadow Browns had stopped playing around and now took to bombing it up the field!
140 - Copy-001.JPG
148 - Copy-001.JPG
On site another good place I discovered was the new shower block – not for butterflies but for Moths. When I’d head down for my shower in the morning there would usually be one or two Moths settled down trying to look unobtrusive. I’m not too good on Moths but I know that one was a Buff Ermine and there was also a Small Emerald (I believe). However photo opportunities were pretty rare as it looked a bit dodgy taking your camera to the showers...
051 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
The first outing was to Hardy’s Cottage and the garden there held a Hedge Brown, Red Admiral and a couple of tatty old Green Veined Whites but not much else despite the lush cottage garden planting. From there we took a walk up the hill to Rushy Pond but the heath land didn’t hold any Graylings, although there were plenty of dragonflies and damselflies which were quite mesmerising. There were Large Red, Common Blue and Blue-Tailed Damselflies and a Common Darter, a few Four Spotted Chasers and a Keeled Skimmer. As the girls were enjoying watching the Dragonflies and a tiny frog slowly clambering it’s way back to the pond we were joined by some Dartmoor Ponies that just waded in to cool down and feed on the lush pond vegetation. Back through the woods there was only a Speckie and that was it. Not quite the smorgasbord I’d been led to expect by the information board in the car park but still a nice family outing.
021 - Copy-001.JPG
029 - Copy-001.JPG
043 - Copy-001.JPG

The second outing was to Arne with hopes of Grayling and possibly Silver Studded Blues. However it tuned into more of a Dragonfly fest again with a few unusual Beetles. The guide assured me that there were Silver Studded Blues around still and so we set off, me looking out for blues and the girls with their spotters pack looking for Minotaur Beetles. Through the wood there was the odd Hedge Brown, a Rose Chafer a Meadow Browns.
063 - Copy-001.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
Once on the Heath Proper it was baking and the sun was beating down. The only butterflies out and about were the odd Meadow Brown and that was it. So we settled down by the bog and watched the Dragonflies. A female Keeled Skimmer, Southern Hawker and mating pair of Small Red Damselflies were the only ones that posed for photos but we also saw male Keeled Skimmer, Broad Bodied Chaser and a couple of the blue Damselflies. Still no blue butterflies though.
084 - Copy-001.JPG
089 - Copy-001.JPG
101 - Copy-001.JPG
The girls had a fantastic time even though I didn’t see any Grayling and were dead chuffed to get their Bronze Spotters badges. They’ve even asked if we can go to Garston Wood so that we can get them their Silver one. All in all a great holiday break and not too bad for butterflies...and this still doesn’t include the trip we made to Lulworth Cove...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Don't tease us Wurzel,what happened at Lulworth?! I'm there in two weeks. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

So as not to disappoint Essexbuzzard...

Lulworth Cove 28th July

By the weekend of our camping trip we’d been joined by my Sister In-laws’ family and they desperately wanted to visit Lulworth Cove. So of course I insisted that we should oblige them and so on the Saturday we headed off after breakfast to Lulworth.
As we approached the beach we walked to the right and set up camp close to the right-hand wall of the cove. Here there were small patches of sand for castle building, there was easy access to the rock pools along the wall of the cove and behind us a cliff face shielding us from the wind. Once the family were ensconced amongst the Grockles on the beach I managed to sneak away for about 15 minutes. I headed up to steep path cutting its’ way through the cliff and about half way up it levelled slightly making a small plateau where there was a small reed bed. It seemed totally incongruous to be half way up a chalk cliff and there be a small marsh! Still this was a likely looking place for butterflies as the cliff was sloping more gently and as well as the reeded area there was also a good scattering of wildflowers and little paths terracing the cliff side.
I’d only just taken the lens cap off of my camera when I spied two skippers. Their more olive colouration meant that straight away I’d found a couple of Lulworths and they were both very obliging, sitting still while I snapped away.
177 - Copy-001.JPG
183 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Also in this little area was a very orange Small Skipper allowing a good comparison of the colouration differences between these two species. As I was moving in something else orange caught my eye and flitted around and about before settling on the path, a faded Small Copper. The wing markings were quite worn and the leading edge of the fore-wing had a distinctly greenish tinge, just like verdis gris in fact and quite appropriate for an aged Small Copper. I was also struck by how small the brown chequers on the fore-wing were.
195 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Slightly higher up Meadow Browns, a Large White and a Dark Green Fritillary all appeared flitting around the wild flowers and all showing a penchant for the Knapweed in particular. The DGF as usual led me on a bit of a dance as I tried to keep up with it and approach it to get a shot. In actual fact looking back on it now it was quite a dangerous chase due to the narrow ledges that passed for paths along the cliff side!
205 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Just as I was thinking that I’d been some time (in fact about 9 minutes since I’d took my first shot) I found a female Skipper, most probably a Small, pole dancing. She was edging her way slowly down a blade of grass spiralling as she went, her abdomen curved right round. She reminded me of the little Woodpecker toys you used to get that would start at the top of your pencil and then peck their way down once you twanged the spring.
213 - Copy-001.JPG
214 - Copy-001.JPG
I then had to head back just as a Marbled White, more Meadow Browns and 2 more very fresh looking DGF’s appeared. As I headed back down to the beach my final sighting was of a Hedge Brown but I couldn’t quite reach him.

Once back on the beach I put my camera down and took my younger daughter off with her fishing net. The tide was very high so there weren’t rock pools as such but we did see a few Blennies and Prawns much to her delight. From there it was back up to the car park because it seems that my sister in-law actually wanted to go to Durdle Door. On the way back to the car there were 2 Green Veined Whites mating in the middle of the path but I couldn’t get any shots as I was carrying a very tired little girl, my younger daughter was all fished out.

As my sister and brother in-law set off up the hill to Durdle Door with their 2 year old daughter I wished them luck as I knew they were going to need it and briefly checked out of the small grassed area at the base of the path. This was quite productive last time but today the wind was very strong and only the occasional Meadow Brown and Marbled White were flying, well more like being blown away. I did catch a fleeting glimpse of a stunningly fresh Brown Argus, a couple of DGFs winged by and a ghostly pale Chalkhill Blue flew by but the wind was becoming far too strong and most butterflies were hunkering down in the long grass to get some shelter.
223 - Copy-001.JPG
So I headed home (the tent) contented, some great butterflies in a very short space of time, very tired and happy little girls dozing in the back of the car and fish and chips on Swanage beach for tea to look forward too.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like you were in the same spot that I was! I found a marshy area in the lee of the cliff face by the arches. Sadly, the cool weather meant practically nothing was flying. Such a shame, as clearly Lulworth Skippers were there!!

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,
It sounds like you and your family had a great time, its nice to see your daughters are enjoying the wildlife. Its so rare with the younger generation these days, keep it up.
All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel,

Just catching up on your last few reports, great stuff and smashing photos.

I love the way you combine your family breaks with 'sneaking off' occasionally wth your camera :D, sounds familiar that does :wink:

All the best,

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry David didn't mean to rub it in. :wink:

Cheers Nick. :D The girls enjoying wildlife is a bit hit or miss but when they're into it they're really into it so hoepfully there will be more hits than misses over hte years to come. I try and hold back with the info I give them so they can discover stuff and observe it for themselves where possible when I remember to. My older daughter took great delight in informing her Nan about the baiting practices used for Purple Emperors - right in the middle of their lunch :shock: :lol:

Cheers Neil :D That's the thing with being a dad, when they get to a certain age your time is never really your own and so if you're to ever get to see anything you've got to sneak off now and again. I'm getting pretty good at it now - it's surprising how bad my memory is, I'm always forgetting something and so having to return to the car to get it :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great stuff Wurzel! I'm looking foreward to my annual trip to the best county in GB for butterflies. If you go back there,Wurzel,check Bindon Hill,to the left of Lulworth Cove. Lots of butterflies,incl. Lulworth Skippers,and some lovely wildflowers,too.
Lulworths seem to have quite a long flight period-Sussex Kipper saw them at the end of May,as did last year,and looks like they should still be there when i go.

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Wurzel wrote:

Wurzel
Lots of good and interesting pictures Wurzel.

This one of a Red Admiral on a Thistle leaf bears closer inspection. The Nettle leaf below and behind the insect appears to have two ova on it. Whenever I've seen this butterfly ovipositing, the ova looked just like that on the upper surface of the younger leaves near the top of the plant. Maybe the clarity of the pictures on my laptop are misleading but it does appear to show two ova on that Nettle leaf.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've just caught up on your last few reports Wurzel and I've really enjoyed reading them. Your photos are lovely too - some interesting shots - and you're definitely not playing 'catch-up'! I fully intend to get there next year and if my Lulworth Skipper shots are as good as yours then I shall be well pleased.

PS I love the rainbow too :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers EssexBuzzard - as I'm Dorset born and bred I naurally think that Dorset is the best county not just for butterflies but full stop :wink: I checked Bindon Hill out earlier in the year and it was absolutely crawling with Lulworths, it was also very surreal to sit their and enjoy the stunning view, observing little Lulworths and feeling so close to nature while in the background there was machine gun fire from the ranges! :shock: There were a few Chalkhills and a fresh Brown Argus while I was there so you might be in time for a blues fest too. Good luck with it!

Cheers CC I hadn't noticed as I guess I was preoccupied with making sure the shot looked up to scratch. You've reminded me to pay a bit more attention so thank you :D

Cheers Pauline :D I guess I want to be out there seeing Silver Spots and Graylings too but the weather this year has really (and is still) making things difficult. Still three more species for me to try and find this year - Grayling, Silver Spotted Skipper and Brown Hairstreak - hopefully I can get the odd day here and there when the weather breaks :?

Hedge Browns...

It’s that time of year again when I start thinking about spots, eyes, how many, lack of them how many pupils etc. My Gatekeeper/Hedge Brown “obsession” started last year when I found an aberrant with an odd number of “eyes” on the hind wing and from there on I spent hours stalking Hedge Browns and observing the variation in the markings on their wings. I have come up with my own little system for recording the variations that I see. In order for anyone reading this to see what I’m seeing I’ll briefly outline my system.
The “eye” often referred to as having two pupils is the large black spot on the fore-wing, the 2 pupils being the small white spots inside it.
Other eyes are dark edged spots with smaller white spots in them. Spots are just dark markings unless on the underside of the wings when they’re the white markings.
The variation checking for 2012 started in earnest when I was away camping. The hedge on the campsite at Downshay housed good numbers of Hedge Browns and they showed a surprising amount of variation...

Underside three spots, quite elongate in appearance
3 white spots one elongate (2).JPG
Underside three spots, quite large
3 white spots quite large (2).JPG
Underside six spots!
6 white spot (2).JPG
Male with faded sex brand – due to use during courtship?
male faded brands - from use (2).JPG
Male angular shaped eye?
male angular eye spot (2).JPG
All of these are just variations on a theme with more or less spots (apart from the "sex brands" one) the last one is perhaps the most unusual in that the eye is hexagonal in shape rather then round.
hexagonal eye spot (2).JPG
I'll be keeping my eyes open for any more variations - any ideas about the latin names for any of these variations (if they exist) are gratefully recieved.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 30th July
Having sorted out the camping gear so it was clean and repacked or airing before repacking I took off to make the most of the of the good weather while it lasted. As I drove up the recently resurfaced road at Sillens Lane it was looking a bit cool and cloudy but once parked and heading up the track to Hanham Hill things started to pick up a little with Ringlet and couple of Meadow Browns appearing and the odd Small Skipper which I had to diligently check if they were female as I was hoping to find an Essex or three. There were also Small Heath and as they insisted in remaining on the right where I was walking I switched the camera to Sports mode in the hope of getting a better open wing shot. It didn’t work out but when I checked my shots later I noticed that one of the Small Heath showed some variation from the norm with a subsidiary pupil below the usual one as well as a dark spot below the eye. As the sun strengthened I also started to notice a few Dark Green Fritillaries that would be nectaring on vegetation along the side of the path. They would take to the wing, swoop low and the abruptly veer upwards before finally letting the wind catch them and then they would be gone from view. Then one DGF acted slightly differently. It was flying in circles around the path. It would land walk for a bit, then take off before flying in slightly a smaller circle, land and walk for a bit, proboscis out like it was tasting the air. It repeated this flying in ever-decreasing circles before finally settling down and taking minerals from dog scat. I took one or two shots but didn’t want to get too close so as not to disturb it (but also because it stank) and finally it had had enough and decided it needed something a little sweeter.
014 - Copy-001.JPG
016 - Copy-001.JPG
040 - Copy-001.JPG
Small skippers seemed to be everywhere along the side of the track and with each couple of paces there would be an orange blur as two Smessex battled it out or courted. I was starting to develop a crick in my neck from trying to look at under side of the antennae but eventually it paid off as I found an Essex. As I approached it to check it shifted position and I could make out the fine, short and straight sex brand so my neck got a rest. Unfortunately for the little chappy he was covered in red mite larvae.
050 - Copy-001.JPG
059 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was walking from the Essex across to Hanham hill I found another of my targets a male Chalkhill Blue. As I was getting shots of the under wings I noticed an unusual marking on underside of fore wing. The black spots had joined together to produce a vertical line.
072 - Copy-001.JPG
093 - Copy-001.JPG
Once at Hanham Hill I checked for Silver Spotted Skippers but it was a bit too cloudy and certainly a few degrees too cold for them so I mooched around and had a look about anyway. There were good numbers of Small Heath erupting from almost every foot fall as well as the odd Marbled White, a Large White a few Meadow Browns and DGFs and another male Chalkhill, this one with nice dark markings on the wings.
116 - Copy-001.JPG
I continued my ascent right up to top with the wind picking up and whipping along Borkerley. This made finding butterflies tricky as they all seemed to want to stay low to the ground and all but a few disappeared to reappear periodically as the wind fell. That said I added a few more Chalkhills and DGFs along with the usual fare of Smessex, Browns and Heaths.
A new place that I checked out this year was a small meadow just behind the bench at the top of the path. It was pretty sheltered by the wood on one side and the top of Borkerly on the other and in here were plenty of DGFs, some looking very fresh with one or two quite resplendent ginger individuals. It will be worth checking this place next year a bit earlier in the season. As I carried on, downhill along Borkerley I found a female keeping low to the grass. She looked really dark compared to those that I saw last year and I wondered whether this could be adaptive for coping with cooler temperatures? As I worked my way down to the bottom to my “hotspot” there were a few more male Chalkhills, DGFs and a few more Marbled Whites but all seemed to favour the bottom of the ditch and I didn’t want to go down and try for a few shots so as not to trample the habitat. Instead I watched and tried to pick up some behavioural observations.
151 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Once at the usual hotspot I set about looking for my next target species Brown Argus and Small Copper. I found none but instead found a tiny Small Blue. The light blue dusting told me it was a male and the fact that the white margins were now grubby looking and gray suggested it was exactly fresh but I assume that it’s a second brood.
170 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was walking along the bottom path back to the car park I spied another Chalkhill on the path. It was showing the same behaviour as the DGF that was partaking minerals earlier in the morning. I scanned along the path, saw the turd and gingerly approached it, waiting for the Chalkhill to come to me. He did indeed find the scat and walking over it started to take up minerals.
199 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
217 - Copy-001.JPG
I was almost back at the car park and was enjoying the Hedge Browns and Whites patrolling the hedge when something orange flashed in the grass. It wasn’t the golden orange of a skipper so I approached hopefully. It was as I’d hoped - fresh small copper!
224 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
I gave myself an extra 5 mins to just check along the diagonal path from the car park – and there were loads of Smessex skippers. Even more than in the morning – most were Small but there were one or two Essex in there as well. I just couldn’t believe the numbers.
And so ended a fantastic morning with three out of four targets found. Now I need to start thinking about Grayling and Silver Spots before a trip to Alners Gorse...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

nice report. i might try and get up there tomorrow.
Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I saw that you didn't make it to Martin Down butI was glad that you got some great stuff anyway Chris.

Five Rivers

It’s been a while since I’ve managed to get to Five Rivers what with the weather and camping so it was great to feel the grass of the old place under my Converse last Wednesday. As I strolled through the paths the wind whispered through the long grasses and the sun was hot still on my back. There were Meadow Browns and Smessex Skippers and after practice earlier in the week I managed to differentiate the females without getting a neck crick or having to lie down in the grass. The first method I used was t look at the general state of repair of the individuals – the more worn were likely to be Small rather than Essex, it wasn’t exactly perfect but most of the time when I was able to check other features my original guess was correct.
060 - Copy-001.JPG
There were Essex Skippers around, but they didn’t seem to be as numerous as Smalls, perhaps 1 Essex for every 3 Small? The first one that I found was easy to confirm as I was a male and I got a good look at the fine sex brand. Others involved peering down from above if I was able to get round. Some were looking slightly tired and luckily by perching on the blades of grass getting this view of them was relatively easy. I continued my way up to the top of the ridge and visited the three banks. Again there were plenty of Meadow Browns and the odd Marbled White which would periodically be joined by a Hedge Brown or two. There was also a pristine male Common Blue, but no sign of any Brown Argus. Again there were skippers everywhere.
116 - Copy-001.JPG
132 - Copy-001.JPG
On the way back I got waylaid by a Skipper bush. In the long grass there was a clump which was being occupied by a 8 Skippers. Try as I might I just couldn’t get them all in so in the end I perched at the side of the track and just enjoyed watching them sway in the wind. While I was enjoying the skippers something glistened golden and I looked closer to see a stunning fresh Small Copper. The photo is a bit blurry but I like it anyway because it captured the golden glow of the fore wing. The view was fleeting as it was soon off but continuing with the golden theme was a golden Meadow Brown.
169 - Copy-001.JPG
170 - Copy-001.JPG
184 - Copy-001.JPG
At this point my battery ran flat so I quickly retreated to the car park, walking some of the way with my eyes shut so as not to see any butterflies perfectly posed when I was incapable of getting any shots! The second brood Common Blue was a good sign and if I can get here next week there maybe some more blues and Brown Argus as well hopefully.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Wurzel
Like your Small Copper shots and the Small Blue in particular :mrgreen: :!: . Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs out of battery from time to time :lol: .

The Graylings should be around for a couple more weeks yet. I went to Dawney's ridge today with my girls and got my best shots there so far under warm and sunny conditions. Nearly lost £200 in the process though when I bribed my daughters to offset a potential whining session, (due to their insistence on wearing shorts and sandals on gorse ridden land) with the offer to pay them £100 each if they were able to find me an open-wing Grayling that I could photo (so confident was I that this was an impossible task) 8) . Trouble was I hadn't forseen that everytime I was down on the ground closing in on a photo it would be "dad there's an open-wing one over here" ... quick quick .... oh you've missed it" :roll: Ironically I did see an open-winged one (under similar circumstances to that posted by Pauline (courting pair)) and would've got it had I had a zoom lens on my camera :x :( . I think I need to be a bit more careful about my bribes in future.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid, I was pushing my luck with the camera as I hadn't charged it since before the camping holiday and it does the battery good to run totally flat now and again (you see the way I spun that, it was like it was intentional :lol: ). If that's the level of bribe you're offering can I ask you not to mention it when Kitty is around as she might get ideas :shock:

Full on Friday...

A pretty full on day really which started off in the garden. Over the lunchtime I spent about 20 minutes trying to follow Whites which was a very frustrating business. They would appear over the fence and then flit around for a while almost landing several times before rising up high into the air and then disappearing over the fence on the other side. The other way you’d see them would be while moving in to try and get a shot of one, another white would erupt Small Heath fashion right in front of you spooking your main quarry. Then you would be presented with the dilemma of which one do you watch and nine times out of ten the one you elected for would promptly disappear over the fence. Still my hiding and waiting in the shadows, approaching rapidly once it had landed eventually paid off and I managed to get a few shots of, what turned out to be, a male Small White.
015 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was getting my older daughter ready to head out I spotted a something from out of the window landing on the stone path. I rushed down stairs, grabbed the camera from its’ primed position and silently approached the butterfly. I could see that it was nervous as it kept flicking its’ wings so I hung back a bit and let it settle. After about a minute I edged forward got a few shots and then moved back. Once back upstairs I checked out of the window and it decided at that moment that it had basked for long enough and so it flew off.
018 - Copy-001.JPG
020 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
While we were camping we visited Arne and the girls loved ticking off their observations the RSPB Spotter books so we tried Garston Wood in the afternoon. My younger daughter intrepidly set off, pencil in one hand, spotter book in the other, rucksack on her back; “Right, come on Daddy!” I doubted whether the enthusiasm would remain as high so we pressed on to make the most of it while it lasted. The first butterfly was a surprisingly fresh female Silver Washed (tick) in the area which used to be for exotics. This is “overgrown” now with most of the flowers above waist height but it’s great for butterflies with browns nectaring like crazy and the odd Comma standing guard of its’ territory (or so it seems). We worked our way round to the bench and the girls sat and ate their sweets while Hedge and Meadow Browns flitted all around us and the brambles joined by the occasional Ringlet.
027 - Copy-001.JPG
Further on in the wood proper we were followed by a Green Veined White for a bit and spent five minutes standing in the middle of the path watching a Gold Banded Dragonfly patrolling its’ territory. It would fly towards us up the middle of the path and then veer off left, circle around us and then repeat the same circuit again.
036 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
We were almost back at the car park when a male Silver Washed put in an appearance, again looking surprisingly fresh. This seemed quite appropriate as when I checked the girls’ list back at the car we’d managed t tick off Silver Washed, Whitebeam, Pignut, Collared Dove and Bat Box so when we next get to Arne or Radipole the girls can pick up their silver award.
054 - Copy-001.JPG
Later that evening, once the girls were tucked up in bed, I risked a quick run out to Godshill. It was still quite warm when the sun poked out from the clouds but sadly it seems the butterflies were in bed as well with only 3 Meadow Brown and singles of Hedge Brown, Small Heath and a solitary Grayling which didn’t pose long enough to get a decent shot. Lesson learned – make a visit here earlier in the day – I headed home happy that I had at least seen the single Grayling.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Wurzel
A fascinating and well illustrated diary.
I am lucky (?) enough to have had all my kids grow up so hopefully my spare time is my own (I kid myself that is the case frequently)
I tried it instill a sense of the fascination of nature to mine along the way, failed with the eldest and partially succeeded with the youngest
Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Phil :D - I'm looking forward to the days when my times my own, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it's never going to work out that way :?

As he faced the sun he cast no shadow...

Seeing all the fantastic shots from Denbies really made me envious. So when my wife suggested that I took advantage of a surprisingly warm and sunny Sunday I ummed and ahhed for a bit (for effect) and then rather “begrudgingly” set off for an hour at Godshill :wink: . Hopefully my pangs of jealously could be soothed by some Grayling action.
Having crossed the cricket pitch and strolled along the Gorse lined path I realised that it was going to be good. Already I had seen more butterflies than on Friday and I hadn’t even entered the heath land proper. By the time I reached the brow of the hill and stood taking in the view which fell away before me I’d encountered a Peacock, Large White, 3 Small Heath and 5 a piece of Hedge and Meadow Brown.
087 - Copy-001.JPG
I’d only juts started down the gravelly path when something just off to the side caught my eye. A Grayling already and one showing its’ upper side! As I cautiously approached it became clear why I could see the brown upper fore-wing, tinged with purple and with pale yellow flashes – both sets of wings were severely damaged with huge chunks missing.
092 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
117 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
If only I'd had it on Sports mode!
If only I'd had it on Sports mode!
Showing purple sheen on wings
Showing purple sheen on wings
I was in a dilemma as to what I should do; leave it to fend for itself and let nature take its’ course or try and move it as gently as possible to the side of the path where would at least pass over quietly? In the end I went for the later but I couldn’t help thinking that the more humane thing would have been to just put it down?
I continued down the hill and there were Hedge Browns everywhere, with at least 2 on each fern I looked out it seemed. Within a couple of metres I was at the bottom of the hill and approaching the ford when another Grayling showed up, this one in much better nick. As I approached it raised its’ fore wing, flashing it’s “eye” at me but when I pressed forward regardless of this threat it took to the wing, flew across the path and landed on a sun bleached stick – which seemed odd as now it was even more conspicuous than when it was at the edge of the path. Still it meant that I had another chance of trying to photograph it and I gave it a wide berth keeping my shadow well away so as not to spook it.
175 - Copy-001.JPG
Once over the ford and on the tracks proper I worked my way to the triangle with a few Small Heath and Meadow Browns trying their best to distract me from my main quarry. A Brimstone also tried but soon disappeared again when I gave it short shrift. Once on the “triangle” of paths I wandered forward and back and there were good numbers of Grayling allowing me the full palette of colours and gambit of behaviours. Last year I noticed that this species is very variable in its’ colouration and the paths in this area produced light through to almost black versions.
182 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
189 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
263 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
283 - Copy-001.JPG
Some spent time feeding on Bell Heather and were quite approachable while taking nectar. Whilst they were drinking they would raise their fore wing showing off the orange. The orange is normally flashed as a bluffed threat when they are spooked. Perhaps this offers some form of protection as they feed? Others preferred to bask often in the middle of the path and when anything came near, Hedge or Meadow Brown or another Grayling they would take off and a short chase with spirals and tumbles would ensue. After they’d investigated and reached their conclusions they’d return to basking on the path, often quite near to their original position. As they basked they’d tip their bodies over allowing a maximum heating affect and when warm enough would turn themselves to face the sun head on. Either way their orientation allows reference to the Oasis song. I find their flight difficult to describe but it seems more powerful and purposeful then Meadow Browns and also higher. When they do take to the wing they seem browner and there are flashes of black streaks almost. A butterfly that gets its’ beauty from subtlety.
There were other butterflies around with plenty of other Browns and Heaths along with a pair of Large Skipper. There was also a large moth and haven gotten my shots I realised that it wasn’t moving much as it was deceased! I think it’s, sorry, was a female Oak Egger.
196 - Copy-001.JPG
Finally time was up and I had to head off the Heath and back to town but I found time for just one more!
304 - Copy-001.JPG
And it would have been rude not to have stopped for another Small Copper! I was pretty worried about this species, even starting a thread to that effect but now I’ve seen second brooders at four different sites so perhaps they’ll be alright after all?
310 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Silver Spots next and with high pressure building at the end of the week things might are actually looking promising for once!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: - I'm looking forward to the days when my times my own, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it's never going to work out that way :? ...Wurzel
My daughter is 22 years old, living in her own place with our little grandson......and still I get that voice on the end of the phone, 'ohhhhhh Daddyyyyyy........' :roll:

Having destroyed your dreams for the quiet life to come :wink: ,

great reports and photos Wurzel, keep 'em coming, always a good read :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Personal Diaries”