August 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Hoggers

Re: August 2012

Post by Hoggers »

I popped into Lydden NR at Temple Ewell this afternoon to see the Chalkhill Blues - there were hundreds!
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
Marvellous!
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Great sightings there Bob :mrgreen: . Would've liked to have gone, three lifers there.

Will PM you to see whether we can meet up again at High and Over for late brood Walls.

Phil
Last edited by Philzoid on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Arrived on time this year for Susie's Denbies meet. The largely grey skies were punctured by bits of blue so I was optomistic that this would be a good day for viewing and photography if the rain stayed off. Met up with Susie; Chris C; Phil Underwood and his wife plus Lee Hurrel (nice to put a face to the name). Also a friend of Phil's (who's name I didn't get :oops:) who got to see his first Marbled White of the year (they dont get them in Suffolk apparently :o ).

Starting along the top field we made our way along a track cut through the jungle-like vegetation (I don't think I've ever seen Denbies as lush as this before) where I saw my first ever confirmed Essex Skipper.
No more smessex lol
No more smessex lol
Chalkhill Blue males were posing with their wings open trying to soak up any warmth before taking to the wing. Reasonable numbers at the start turned into a veritable 'swarm' later on :shock: . If you would like to see clouds of little blue butterflies, get yourself to Denbies :!:
Fresh male Chalkhill
Fresh male Chalkhill
Next up was a Small Skipper loaded with butterfly ticks. Likewise this Marbled White was afflicted the same way.
C 2012.08.04 IMG_6763 Small Skipper (with butterfly ticks).jpg
D 2012.08.04 IMG_6790 Marbled White (with butterfly ticks)_1.jpg
The Chalkhills didn't have it all their own way as this picture shows.
1 down 49,999 to go
1 down 49,999 to go
Last year the Wasp spider Argiope brunnechi was the scourge of the blues. This time we only encountered this smallish example, but saw it dispatch a grasshopper twice its size with relative ease (apologies for poor picture)
Wasp spider with Grasshopper
Wasp spider with Grasshopper
As the sun cut through the sky clouds the ground clouds took to the wing, hordes upon hordes of Chalkhill blues :shock: . We attempted to work-out how many there were on the whole of the Denbies site. My guesstimate came to 50,000 (maths was never my strong point).
Freshly emerged male on Lee's hand about to redress the balance
Freshly emerged male on Lee's hand about to redress the balance
Though Chalkhill blue males were clearly the dominant sex there were plenty of females around too. Due to their variability one or two gave us concern as to what they might be (Adonis?) I have included a few females to give something to go on when the UKB members annual identify that female blue debate, comes again :wink: No Adonis seen by the way.
H 2012.08.04 IMG_6845 Chalkhill Blue (female).jpg
I 2012.08.04 IMG_6862 Chalkhill Blue (female).jpg
Making the next generation
Making the next generation
Making the next mutant generation
Making the next mutant generation
Despite the good mumbers photography wasn't always easy
Despite the good mumbers photography wasn't always easy
Finally in the far away field (don't know how to put it :? ), we met up with Nick (HideandSeek) who had been successfully photographing silver-spotted Skippers amongst other things. We all put in a search and were able to locate some more including this male.
Silver-spotted Skipper male
Silver-spotted Skipper male
For the premiership quality photo see HideandSeek's Personal diary (there must be at least one in there out of 1000 :P ).
Longhorn moth
Longhorn moth
Also got to briefly see one of my favourites which I was concerned I wouldn't see this year, a Small Copper which Susie located for me :D .
O 2012.08.04 IMG_6864 Small Copper trim.jpg
All in all a great day out. Lots of species and nice to meet up and chat with fellow UKB members and butterfly enthusiasts :) . Will defintiely pencil this one in for next year :!: .

Phil
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Philzoid,
Thanks for the kind reference. I actually had`nt managed a photo of a SSS until you and our fellow UK Butterfly members showed up, so thanks for that.
Some lovely photos, especially your SSS, well done.
All the best, Nick.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Whilst having a morning cup of tea in the garden, I was joined by this lovely butterfly.

Debbie :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_5348a.jpg
IMG_5327aa.jpg
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Several Meadow Browns, a couple of male common blues and what looked like a fresh Marbled White on Wall's Hill at Torquay this afternoon.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I went looking for brown hairstreaks briefly again today. Despite conditions being perfect there wasn't any sign. Have these been seen in Sussex yet? It does seem very late. I did see a holly blue, large white, comma, some gate keepers and meadow browns. Also at home small whites and a red admiral which seems to have taken up residence in the garden.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Beacon Hill, Warnford 5/8/2012
I spent a pleasant 4 hours at this site on Sunday morning, the first time I have been there. I arrived at 9am just as the heavy clouds were moving away and the conditions turned out perfect. As someone who is still learning the best sites and when to find particular species I was very pleased with my days tally of 15 species including two that I have never seen before :D The hillside was literally full of butterflies particularly in the lower sheltered areas. I had hoped for Silver Spotted Skipper but I am not sure how good this site is for them and I may have been a few days too early as I saw none. I might try again next weekend if time and weather allow.
Common Blue Beacon Hill 5.8.2012
Common Blue Beacon Hill 5.8.2012
Chalkhill Blue Beacon Hill 5.8.2012
Chalkhill Blue Beacon Hill 5.8.2012
Species seen Chalkhill Blue (first time :D ), Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Marbled White, Small Heath, Small White, Green Veined White, Brimstone, Peacock, Red Admiral and very worn Dark Green Fritillary (first time :D ) all in good numbers except Small Heath also lots of Burnet Moths. Quite a few mating pairs of both Common and Chalkhill Blue. Also inadvertantly captured a Common Blue with Mites similar to those often seen on Marbled Whites. Do these infest all species as I have only ever seen them on Marbled White :?:
Common Blue with friend
Common Blue with friend
Marbled White and friends
Marbled White and friends
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A most welcome visitor to my garden this afternoon: stayed just long enough for me to fetch my camera and get a photograph
IMG_1049.JPG
EricY

Post by EricY »

Sunny on Norfolk coast this morning for a few hrs. Titchwell produced a Wall & several Gatekeepers down by the new Parrinda hide. Holme NWT has started to liven up a bit. Lots small skippers & Gatekeepers, a few Meadow browns & 6spot Burnet moths, 1 flyby Peacock, 1 small Copper & best of all 5/6 Brown Argus i/c 2 Females (? pic attached please confirm). Also what I think is a Robber fly devouring a Greenbottle! Eric
Wall @ Titchwell
Wall @ Titchwell
Small Copper
Small Copper
Brown Argus M
Brown Argus M
Query Brown Argus Female?
Query Brown Argus Female?
Think this is a Robberfly devouring a Green bottle fly
Think this is a Robberfly devouring a Green bottle fly
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That second one's a female common blue, Eric, not a brown argus.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Holme NNR often has more Brown Argus than Common Blues. Last year (or was it the year before?) an environmental group (students?) were monitoring Brown Argus and small patches were fenced off (can't recall now the details).

So you have a good excuse Eric.

Jack
EricY

Post by EricY »

Thanks Guy & Jack, I did have my doubts that is why I asked the question. Leaves another question though - where are the male common blues, not seen any for ages & if 2 females were about they must be missing something! Eric
NickB

Post by NickB »

Another local male Common Blue - but only one - as I went to 3 local sites.
CB_1_low_EBNR_7th_Aug_2012.jpg
Also a couple of fresh Small Copper and lots of 6-spot Burnets....
6-spot_Burnet_1_low_EBNR_7th_Aug_2012.jpg
Still good numbers of Meadow Brown, Gatekeepers, a few Small and a couple of Large White and Comma,
Small Skippers still hanging-on too..
:)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Susie wrote:I went looking for brown hairstreaks briefly again today. Despite conditions being perfect there wasn't any sign. Have these been seen in Sussex yet? It does seem very late. I did see a holly blue, large white, comma, some gate keepers and meadow browns. Also at home small whites and a red admiral which seems to have taken up residence in the garden.
In my (short experience) mid august onwards seems to be the time to see the Brown Hairsteak, and that is when I have seen them at Preston Down near Paignton.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

8th August
Another visit to Holme NNR just east of Hunstanton. Again only two Graylings seen and neither posed well for the camera.
This one, having landed in an amusing location, was off and away before I could get close enough for a decent picture.

Jack
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Susie

I think Richard Roebuck may have spotted them in Sussex whereas I have drawn a blank in Hants. I usually see them around Aug 4th but that is never the earliest sighting which in recent years has I think been about end July so yes, I would say they are late! A quick visit to Noar Hill today and the vegetation was lush - the colours better than I can remember them, but interestingly the hemp agrimony was not really yet in bloom which was a surprise. So, perhaps in the next few days with the forecast for 90 degrees we may get lucky .......
NickB

Post by NickB »

Continued my Common Blue quest. Several males in the Cemetery behind me...
CB_m_1_low_MRC_8th_Aug_2012.jpg
and at Cherry Hinton East Pit, I found my first females....
CB_f_1a_low_CHCP_8th_Aug_20.jpg
...Not so much blue on most of the females I saw;
CB_f_2_low_CHCP_8th_Aug_201.jpg
It seems that the second brood are just coming out; these next few warm days should be just the ticket!
:)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

Torbay Flyer wrote:
Susie wrote:I went looking for brown hairstreaks briefly again today. Despite conditions being perfect there wasn't any sign. Have these been seen in Sussex yet? It does seem very late. I did see a holly blue, large white, comma, some gate keepers and meadow browns. Also at home small whites and a red admiral which seems to have taken up residence in the garden.
In my (short experience) mid august onwards seems to be the time to see the Brown Hairsteak, and that is when I have seen them at Preston Down near Paignton.

I usually seem them much earlier than that here.

I know that the ones I have bred in the garden over the last few years haven't always been in a natural climate and so may have emerged early but there are wild ones at a site nearby which have previously been around during the last week before the children break up from school for the summer holidays (approximately the third week of July).
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pauline wrote:Hi Susie

I think Richard Roebuck may have spotted them in Sussex whereas I have drawn a blank in Hants. I usually see them around Aug 4th but that is never the earliest sighting which in recent years has I think been about end July so yes, I would say they are late! A quick visit to Noar Hill today and the vegetation was lush - the colours better than I can remember them, but interestingly the hemp agrimony was not really yet in bloom which was a surprise. So, perhaps in the next few days with the forecast for 90 degrees we may get lucky .......
This weekend is looking to be good, isn't it. Shame I am tied up with family stuff. Fortunately on the Sunday that involves a party in the garden here so I may yet get a glimpse of a brown hairstreak.

I, too, look to plants to tell me what butterflies may be around. The incredible hemp agrimony in my garden which is about eight and a half foot tall is now blooming nicely so I am hoping that the brown hairstreaks won't be far behind!

Return to “Sightings”