Arboreal butterfly feeding habits - your views?

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
tomdunbar

Arboreal butterfly feeding habits - your views?

Post by tomdunbar »

Thoughts on Arboreal Butterfly Feeding

As lepidopterists we are fortunate in the UK in having the benefit of a rich source of literature going back many generations to support and inform our many endeavours in the field. In my early days South's Colour Identification to British Butterflies was a wonderful source to aid identification of species such as Pearl and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary not to mention High Brown versus Dark Green Fritillary. We owe a debt of gratitude to our forebears in providing us with a baseline of valuable information and data to inform our further work in the field.

To my mind understanding conservation is all about asking questions about our observations and findings. Seasonal species-specific observations and data are interesting and valuable in informing longer-term trends taking variables such as seasonal weather, habitat changes, parasitism etc into consideration.

The behaviour of arboreal butterflies have interested me for some time. Much of our established literature states that many species such as Purple, Brown and Black Hairstreaks as well as Speckled Wood and Purple Emperor feed on aphid honeydew deposited on a variety of leaf-forms e.g. blackthorn, ash and seemingly oak.

Over many years in the field I have attempted, through observation, to confirm this assumed feeding behaviour particularly in relation to Brown and Black Hairstreak and to a lesser extent the Speckled Wood.

The Brown Hairstreak is a species I am very familiar with, both in my home-county and further a-field in the UK. I have often sought out evidence of the presence of aphids, or their deposits of honeydew, on known assembly ash trees in the case of Brown Hairstreak. These observations are made simply both from close visual inspection and through touch for stickiness. To date I have never located evidence of aphids or their 'sticky' secretions on assembly trees or on blackthorn. Where have all the aphids gone?!

I have often observed individual Brown Hairstreak and on several occasions Speckled Wood butterflies using their proboscis probing on or about ash buds. Subsequent inspection of these ash-buds for evidence of a presence of aphid life-forms or honeydew have never resulted in success. My observations are made from the ground and not at canopy level.

My personal view is that these individual butterflies are indeed taking up some form of nutrient when probing these ash-buds. Is there concrete evidence that this form of nutrient is from an aphid source? Has an analysis ever been conducted to verify what nutrients might be present on these buds?

I reserve judgement on the feeding behaviour on leaves reputably 'laden with honeydew' as I have never witnessed aphids despite searching. Have aphids been witnessed on leaves by other observers? What is the source of secretions that might be present on the leaves? Is there any research results that has identified the substance?

As a mere amateur lepidopterist am I missing something? What do others observe?

Do we have a budding lepidopterist or PhD student out there with access to more scientific resources to inform this question?

On my many field trips I have many questions but few answers. Help!

Jeremy Clarkson-lore states 'Never park the love of your life under a lime tree!' Does he know something we don't?

Thought-for-the-Day or just Sailing-by?

Tom Dunbar :?
millerd

Re: Arboreal butterfly feeding habits - your views?

Post by millerd »

A small contribution.

The butterfly below is an elderly Black Hairstreak. It was down on the grass, feeding on something sticky that appeared to have dripped from the trees above. I tried a little of this, and it was indeed sweet to the taste. I assumed that this was "aphid honeydew" that had been washed off the leaves by rain.

Dave
Attachments
BlH resized.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

tomdunbar wrote:Jeremy Clarkson-lore states 'Never park the love of your life under a lime tree!' Does he know something we don't?
Honeydew dripping onto parked cars is regarded as a significant problem in many parts of the USA. A quick review of the internet reveals several articles on the subject, such as http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgar ... vesap.html . There is a list of tree species on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_honeydew_sources and it is even possible to buy Oak Honeydew Honey!

Thus, there seems little doubt that the stuff exists, and in fairly substantial quantities, so it might be expected that other insects than bees may exploit it as a food source. Evidence for the presence of aphids can also be seen in leaf fungi, which take advantage of the nutrients they produce.

I agree that specific research data on which butterfly species use honeydew as a major food source appears to be lacking or, at least, hard to find.

Mike
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Jeremy Thomas in Butterflies of Britain and Ireland states that both Brown, Purple and White Letter have been seen taking honeydew - by himself or others. In particular he say he has observed White Letter " ......walking over the leaves trailing their probosces between their legs. From time to time they would encounter a patch of honeydew, causing it to twitch and spiral while it dabbed the sticky syrup" additionally he quotes David Newland observing Purple HS from a high tower where they dabbed the leaves for honeydew. Not sure that it's definitive but it will add to the debate.
Also I have a local site where I can observe WLH at close quarters in the tops of suckering elm - I must say that all the ones I have seen are using it as a perch to see off other males or to bask. Although the leaves are normally covered with a sticky substance I have not seen the butterflies utilize it.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
NickB

Post by NickB »

I have seen Black Hairstreak using honey-dew on leaves as nectar sources - particularly where there are fewer other nectar sources available - as well as bryony and wayfaring tree (I think).
This was especially true in some areas of nettles under blackthorn bushes one year. This wet spring was concerning, since these sources were largely missing, especially with the prolonged periods of rain we experienced washing away any honey-dew on the leaves and disrupting the aphid populations at the same time.
Fizzy orange drinks and other sugary substances have been used as substitutes, not so much to attract them, but to hope they stay longer, once they have located a source....
PhilB is more knowledgeable than I on such matters....
N
Last edited by NickB on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

tomdunbar wrote:
Jeremy Clarkson-lore states 'Never park the love of your life under a lime tree!' Does he know something we don't?

Tom Dunbar :?
Having grown up in a suburban area where many of the roads were lined with Lime trees this was always common knowledge. A car parked even just overnight directly under a Lime tree can get a sticky coating. This obviously varies depending on the weather, prolonged hot dry spells being the worst....not much of a problem this year :wink:

Cheers,

Neil F.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Tom's question seems a very reasonable one to me. The honeydew (that we all agree is very common on many trees and is often tangibly sticky) is generally said to be produced by aphids but we (or I, at least) seldom notice aphids on the trees butterflies feed on. Here are some suggestions:

Maybe the aphids feed on the underside of the leaves, where we don't normally look, and their honeydew excretion drops onto the upper surface of the leaves below.

Maybe the relevant aphids are nocturnal feeders and we always look in the day.

Maybe one of the other honeydew-producing groups is responsible. Scale insects are much less conspicuous than aphids - are we missing these?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

Honeydew from aphids on trees definitely is a problem for owners of parked cars. My in-laws had a maple in front of their house and asked the council to cut it down because it was such a nuisance. We have an oak tree in the front garden and again the honey dew from it has been significant in previous years. This year is very different, however, due to the mildew which has affected so many of the oaks; perhaps this is why I haven't seen any purple hairstreaks around here.

And just to add a little more to the subject, when I have seen purple hairstreaks apparently "feeding" on oak leaves often it is bird droppings. I wonder if these are males taking on mineral salts?
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Well just to test the theory I walked in to work this morning passing under some urban maple trees in Portsmouth City centre. They were absolutely dripping with honeydew - or at least a very sticky substance of some sort. Most of the leaves upper surfaces are shiny with some sort of coating and it is impossible to walk under them without your feet sticking to the paving! Try as I might I could not see any aphids on the lower branches and whilst I could see a few scale insects higher up it would be hard to see this number causing this level of honeydew. The adjecent Acacia trees were the opposite and showed no signs of honeydew.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
tomdunbar

Post by tomdunbar »

Hi all

Thanks for all you interesting comments and contributions.
Perhaps the jury is still out on this one although Guy's and other's suggestions certainly provide further food for thought. However can we offer evidence based on our observations to support the claims made in the literature about honeydew as a common food source? I now often ask the question of other lepidopterists in the field "what arboreal butterflies feed on?". And without exception the standard reply is "aphid honeydew". Supportive evidence other than references to the literature seems to be in short supply.

I had another Brown Hairstreak foray today visiting 4 regularly occupied sites but with zero results. I had one 'likely suspect'' - the windy conditions made identification too difficult to make a positive id. On one of my top railway bridge sites the canopy of a trackside ash is now at bridge height and perfect for observation. We now need some local hairstreaks of the brown variety to take up residence to complete the party. Who's gonna provide the 'Oak honeydew' drink?

Tom Dunbar
NickB

Post by NickB »

padfield wrote: Maybe one of the other honeydew-producing groups is responsible. Scale insects are much less conspicuous than aphids - are we missing these?
Guy
I agree - other insects that damage the tree may also be responsible, leaving holes which the tree also may try to fill using a sticky sap or resin. Woodpeckers and the like may also be responsible for causing other holes....What causes the holes in the trees where we see HIM on sap runs, for instance?
However, if you have seen an aphid infestation grow in warm weather, the amount excreted grows like a steady spray, which does indeed lead to coating and coagulation into larger drops on the leaves below. These conditions also support the growth of various moulds, which also seem to add to the chemical soup produced.....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”