A very special place.

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Cotswold Cockney

A very special place.

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Like most households, we tend to get a surfeit of Junk Mail most weeks. Usually someone in the house gathers them all up and when time allows, one of us goes through them. A high percentage of this mail are looking for handouts which I find sad. I decided to check through these with about three dozen such "Junk Mails" to sort today. A few still unopened and one caught my eye from Butterfly Conservation in Dorset. It was a request for funds to arrange the purchase and/or management of a remote area of relatively unspoilt Cotswold Grassland surrounded by climax Beechwoods so typical of the Limestone Hills of the region. Dated May this year ... they are looking for a quarter of a million!

I first explored this remote area over forty years ago. Back in the late 1960s, the local conservation organisation funded John Muggleton to study Cotswold Grassland areas to asses the status of the breeding Blue Butterflies in the whole Cotswold area. He produced a report " Blue Butterflies in Gloucestershire" ... something like that. I forget the precise title.

Some years later, around 1975, i took Muggleton to this fine remote site with difficult access and he admitted he had no idea about it and had overlooked it during his research and site visits. This request for funds mentions the four "Blues" found there ... Common, Chalkhill, Adonis and Small. Back in the 1970s when I was a regular visitor, there were several other interesting species on that grassland including the Marsh Fritillary. The surrounding areas of woodlands supported several Fritillary species. Silver Washed, Pearl Bordered, Small Pearl bordered and ... the "Duke". I provided the then Monks Wood record centre with the information on this site. I wonder if my records are still there. The High Brown was found nearby but I only know this from specimens in old collections I saw when much younger of some of the then 'old' Gloucestershire based collectors. Long since passed on of course and I often wonder what became of their fine collections. I know one went to the museaum in Newcastle as that was where the Schoolmaster who formed the collection was originally from. Another collection, again formed by a Head/Schoolmaster of a local public school, is I believe still in Gloucestershire as I've seen a drawer from it on display when a local council wanted to generate conservation interest in these things with youngsters.

All those High Brown specimens I saw were pre-WWII. The few Large Blues in collections from that general area I saw in those old collections were of a very good size. Most other Cotswold Large Blues were on average considerably smaller.

Yes, a special place. Nice to know it still is. I wish I could help financially.

Think I'll start doing the Lottery, otherwise no chance. Of all my favourite sites in Gloucestershire, and there are many, that one is my favourite. If ever my numbers come up, I'd buy it myself. I wish... ;)

That's life I guess.

By the way, trawling ebay as you do, I came across these fine Apaturinae specimens for sale in China. A male and female Sasakia funebris :~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310395703693? ... 26_rdc%3D1

It's the female which is really difficult to obtain ~ hence the price for a pair.

I bred several generations of these back in the 1980s. Wish I had bred some more but I'd need a forest of growing Celtis trees to feed them all... raised several broods on trees in my garden and potted ones in my greenhouse. ... ;)

Could have bought that Grassland had I known they were worth that sort of money ... I had the expertise and the foodplant ... not the time though ... ;) I could have been rich, no more old Rovers and MGs for me.... I could buy something exotic like a new ... Focus ... or Insignia ... :lol:

Wake up from your dreams CC. Reality as always is a whole different kettle of ball games ... would have been nice though ... ;)
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Mark Tutton

Re: A very special place.

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi CC - are you talking about Rough Bank? If so it has been bought by Butterfly Conservation see http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/a ... icleId=283.
Lovely site which I visited last year whilst visiting relatives in Watedge last year. Good result for all :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Cotswold Cockney

Re: A very special place.

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Tuts wrote:Hi CC - are you talking about Rough Bank? If so it has been bought by Butterfly Conservation see http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/a ... icleId=283.
Lovely site which I visited last year whilst visiting relatives in Watedge last year. Good result for all :D
Yes, I knew it by another name.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Conservation”