Titania's/ Weavers

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Paul

Titania's/ Weavers

Post by Paul »

Couple of images from early July in French Alps. First I think are Titania's, then 2x Weaver's. Put me right ???
Image :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

Can't see anything, your server is down for maintainance :(

Martin.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

PostImage.org (where most photos are hosted) had a few glitches yesterday - all back now!

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think they're all tit frits.

From the upperside, titania has a very characteristic pattern that I think of as a row of chess pawns around the hindwing. It's similar in dia but doesn't give the same effect. This is also visible on the underside in titania but not so much, or at all, in dia.

There are another couple of useful clues. From the upperside, dia has a round spot in a clear area towards the base of the hindwing - this is nearly always visible. It is also visible in euphrosyne and selene, but usually obscured in titania.

The other thing is the shape of the hindwing, best seen from the underside. There is a very sharp angle between the leading edge and the outer margin in dia (this is a spring brood individual, but the summer brood was already on the wing when you came out):

Titania's fritillary is also much bigger, but this year it would not surprise me to discover you had seen one or more very small specimens.

Guy
Paul

Dia

Post by Paul »

Sorry Guy, on closer inspection of my photos I heavily concede all those were tits! How about this pair though. :lol: ( same spec.)....

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Bingo!

Guy

Return to “Overseas”