Hibernation in July

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Mikhail

Hibernation in July

Post by Mikhail »

I have recently returned from an EIG survey trip to Bulgaria, with the Bosnian or Balkan Blue Plebejus dardanus as target species. On 8 July we arrived at the Slavyanka hizha (mountain hut) for a stay of three nights. Mt Slavyanka (aka Alibotush) is on the border with Greece, to the south of the Pirin Mts. When I entered my allotted single room, I found that it already had an occupant, to wit a hibernating Large Tortoiseshell. The butterfly was sitting on the wardrobe less than 2 feet from the door, and was not the slightest bit disturbed by my comings and goings, or the attention of other members of the group. It had probably emerged in mid June. I was interested to note that it sat head upwards rather than the usual head down posture when at rest on tree trunks etc. The attached photo is rather harshly lit, because I was compelled to use the pop-up flash in the dim lighting, having travelled without my usual flash.

M.
Attachments
Nymphalis-polychloros_61493.jpg
Cotswold Cockney

Re: Hibernation in July

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

When breeding European Large Tortoiseshells years ago, it was usual for them to enter hibernation in the heat of the summer, after feeding up. Seeking out cooler shelters which I provided. Our own Peacock does this too.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Overseas”