Unusual sighting in my garden today. HORNET HOVERFLY:~

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Cotswold Cockney

Unusual sighting in my garden today. HORNET HOVERFLY:~

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

I have been a keen observer of all things natural history for over sixty years. Until a couple of years ago, I had never seen one of these in the field let alone in my garden. I first noticed one in my smallish back garden about two or three years ago. Today, during the warm sunny intervals between heavy downpours of rain, I first heard and then saw another one of these impressive flies. Like a miniture model aeroplane slowly flying about with a distinctive sound made by its wings when passing nearby. It settled and closed its wings along its back and then looked much smaller than in flight. I quickly got my small digital compact from the house and as the fly was still on one of the bushes in the garden, I wanted it to spread its wings and being very docile, as I touched it gently it did spread its wings and took a quick image with the camera. It then closed it's wings along its back. The image was disappointingly small. I set the camera to macro close up and again tried to get the fly to open its wings which it did ... and took off ... :( ... Only to return to the same place with wings open. This time I was ready and secured a much better close up of this impressive looking and sounding Hoverfly :~

Considering the limitations of my small digital compact, quite pleased with the result.

John.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
ChrisC

Re: Unusual sighting in my garden today. HORNET HOVERFLY:~

Post by ChrisC »

they certainly are stunning insects. i used to get both zonaria and innanis in my old garden. what does bug me about gardening for wildlife is what do i miss when i'm at work :)

Chris

Return to “General”