Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow Cotswold Cockney! I think that has given us all some food for thought! I believe the point that Mark was making was that there may be others, less scrupulous and less conscientious than yourself; those with little concern for the butterfly (or the law!) - those who have underhand motives! You clearly cared a great deal about your butterflies and looked after them well and it obviously wasn't something you did for financial gain. There will be many different opinions on this topic and we could debate it until the cows come home but I now intend to put this somewhat controversial subject to one side and return to my sightings. (Great pics by the way CC :D ).

Whilst I was enjoying the Chalkhills the other morning I came across what I hope is my first ever Essex Skipper - a bit worn but I would appreciate it if someone could confirm or otherwise :?. Below is all the same butterfly:
P1090102d.jpg
P1090126djpg.jpg
P1090147d.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice photos Pauline....and a good example of how fine the sex brand can be on the male Essex, you can just make it out on the two topside shots.

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much for your comments and the quick response Neil - much appreciated. I have spent the last couple of days looking closely at Skippers and I do believe I now have it sorted. Even I can see that the following is an Essex Skipper:
P1090373d.jpg
P1090383d.jpg
as opposed to these Small Skippers:
P1090360d.jpg
P1090353d.jpg
The great thing is that I have now found quite a little colony of Essex Skippers really close to me and watching them start to roost last night was very enjoyable, not least because of the numbers.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Now you need to go to Dorset to add Lulworth Skipper to your collection! They were abundant at Durlston earlier in the week.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It wouldn't take much to tempt me Mike! I have only been there once and I love it. I grew up 5-6 miles from the sea and after school we would walk to the coast (couldn't afford the bus fare)and walk along the shoreline to see what the tide had brought in. We would collect up glass bottles that folk had discarded and take them back to the shop - in those days any shop gave you money back when you returned the bottles (I think it was 1d for most and 3d for a few). This got us enough money for a chip supper to eat on the trek back home :lol: . Ah, them were the days!!!! On Saturdays we would spend the day clambering over cliffs, collecting winkles from rock pools which we would cook and have with bread and butter for tea..... but I digress. Below is a few photos taken recently whilst searching for my elusive Purple Hairstreak including a lovely fresh Speckled Wood.
P1090470d.jpg
P1090481d.jpg
P1090459d.jpg
P1090424d.jpg
P1090487d.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Having never seen a Small Copper with those lovely little blue spots I am very keen to find one. However, in the meantime I shall have to make do with this little beauty which I came across whilst I was out and about doing the chores yesterday.
P1090544d.jpg
P1090504d.jpg
P1090581d.jpg
P1090589a.jpg

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Pauline. Glad you got to chalton down to see the chalkhill blues. It's a rather nice little spot! Haven't been in the heat of the day so interesting to hear of the DGF's as I wasn't aware of those there but not surprising really I guess as they are at other nearby sites like butser and old winchester hills. Good to see you found your Essex skipper too!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just got back from a camping trip (literally - the tent's airing over the stairwell) and was very pleased to see your cracking shots of Small Copper :D I did see a couple of Lulworth Skippers down at Lulworth Cove so they are still about if you're after them?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely to hear from you FishiEE. How come we haven't met yet - or have we? It was thanks to Mark's (Tuts) directions that I eventually found Chalton Down and it certainly is a fantastic spot. I had struggled to get there for about 5.30am the other morning but once I had arrived I found myself wondering why - where else would you rather be at that time of the morning than Chalton Down??!!! It was simply beautiful.

Another one of Mark's little gems was the Hayling Billy Trail which I was totally unaware of and decided to visit today. It was very windy which limited photo opportunities but that didn't stop me from seeing 17 species!!! In addition, I saw 4 foxes really close up - I think they were this year's youngsters looking to make their own way in life, but a bit early I would have thought? I chatted to the reserve warden and he showed me where Little Owls had bred this year (3 owlets apparently). I commented on the very strange coloured rabbits which ranged from normal agouti, to grey to black and he informed me that they also have a white variety!

Whilst there the skies darkened and ominous rumbles of thunder stopped cyclists and walkers in their tracks, discussing whether to return to their cars:
P1090624d.jpg
At this point the only photo I had taken was of the cows:
P1090614d.jpg
But as I returned to my car I couldn't resist this little Wagtail:
P1090631d.jpg
I decided to move on to Sandy Point as I had been advised that a nature reserve there was home to Graylings. I can't deny that being so close to the sea was an added attraction. It was disappointing to discover that the local nature reserve was fenced with a padlocked gate displaying a notice that any visit would be by appointment only. The thundery skies had followed me and I was not about to challenge the current residents of the reserve:
P1090639d.jpg
This posting should be called Cattle and Clouds because, despite the sun, the distant sky was black and the thunder continued to rumble:
P1090642d.jpg
In fact, the only butterfly photo taken today was a GVW, a butterfly which I haven't seen much of this year and my biggest disappointment was that I couldn't get 'square on' to the subject because of a large nettle patch so the outer wings are not in focus - shame!
P1090610a.jpg
Wurzel I hope you enjoyed your trip and I am flattered that you have not even aired your gear and you are looking at my photos :lol: . Seriously, thank you for your comments but are you by any chance in cahoots with Mike? Is this a master plan to get me into Dorset cos it just might work :lol: :lol:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote: Is this a master plan to get me into Dorset cos it just might work
Just to keep up the pressure:
Durlston CP, Dorset - 25th July 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/500s@f/5.6 ISO400
Durlston CP, Dorset - 25th July 2012
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/500s@f/5.6 ISO400
OK, I shouldn't post in your diary :oops: but it's so far below your standard that it might tempt you to do much better.

Beware the Olympics Weymouth traffic, though!

Mike

FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Pauline wrote:Lovely to hear from you FishiEE. How come we haven't met yet - or have we? It was thanks to Mark's (Tuts) directions that I eventually found Chalton Down and it certainly is a fantastic spot. I had struggled to get there for about 5.30am the other morning but once I had arrived I found myself wondering why - where else would you rather be at that time of the morning than Chalton Down??!!! It was simply beautiful.
We have in fact met. Abbots Wood when you were with Maurice Pugh last weekend looking for Purple Emperors. It was me that told you about the Chalton Down Chalkhill Blues :)

FYI one brief flyby by an Emperor after you left but nothing more than that.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Mike you can post in my diary any time you like and that is a very good action shot you posted. I have tried and failed to take shots like that. I tried on the largest aperture F2.8 to give the fastest shutter speed; then I switched to Shutter speed priority but the speed I needed from the shutter to 'freeze' the movement did not let enough light in except on a really bright day so the picture was really dark. I have tried to put in place tentative arrangements twice this year to allow me to visit Durlston but with various animal problems it just isn't going to happen so it is lovely to see your photo. Definitely next year!! However, I did get to see the sea today :D

I am sooo sorry John - when Maurice introduced you I didn't make the connection as I was still quite bemused as to how you knew which car I drove :lol: . I have looked at some of your stunning photos since then and it was your 'dewy Glanville' that inspired me to try to create the same effect on the Chalkhill. 'Fraid it's not up to your standard but I'm enjoying learning and practising. Thank you for the info re PE. I have to tell you that I found 'my' colony of Essex Skippers just a few paces from where we were chatting.

Alan T must be one of the few people who can provide me with directions I can follow and so it was today when I set out to find the Grayling colony at Browndown. I have looked recently much closer to home but I fear the small colony on Ludshott Common at Grayshott may no longer exist. However, the colony at Browndown seems to be thriving with dozens on the wing, and what a smashing site - you couldn't get any nearer to the sea without taking your shoes and socks off and if it hadn't been for all the shingle I might well have done just that! The weather was a bit brisk when I arrived at 9.00am and I wondered whether I was too early but the Grayling were up and about in really good numbers. I have always considered this butterfly to be a master of camouflage, hence the next 2 shots which are so typical of this butterfly:
P1090656d.jpg
P1090702d.jpg
Whilst watching their behaviour I was fortunate enough to witness their courtship ritual which was slow and hesitant in relation to some species. The male approached the female in a very gentle fashion and although there was some flashing of wings it did not appear dominant or aggressive. I did not dare to approach too closely or interfere in any way so the following photos are purely for interest as I might never be lucky enough to see this again:
P1090664d.jpg
P1090667d.jpg
P1090669d.jpg
And last but not least, a couple of pics of the end result:
P1090689d.jpg
P1090679d.jpg

I rounded off the visit by collecting cuttle fish for the parrots on the way back to the car park :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

Jackpot! Graylings with wings open.

Excellent images.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Graylings :mrgreen: I seem to be playing catch up with everyone else as I've only just got shots of Chalkhill Blues...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking shots of the Graylings :mrgreen: I seem to be playing catch up with everyone else as I've only just got shots of Chalkhill Blues...
Not so, Wurzel. You've seen Lulworth Skippers, remember? :x

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:Jackpot! Graylings with wings open.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

I love your Grayling photos, much better than I have managed of this species :mrgreen: I have just been to Arnside for a couple of days and the Graylings there were hard to follow on the scree slopes.

Also your Small Copper shots a couple of posts back. The background complements the butterfly beautifully :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike and David for your comments - I guess I just got lucky that day but I feel quite privileged to have seen their courtship display, rather than just finding a mating pair.

Wurzel, I appreciate your comments also but David is quite right - we are all busy folk and can't be everywhere all at once (if you see what I mean). I, for one, would have loved to see the Lulworth Skippers this year so I am quite envious of yourself and Mike :mrgreen: .

Thank you Neil. It is kind of you to say so. I would have thought it was virtually impossible to get any photo on a scree slope without risk of injury so well done. The Small Copper was very fresh and the background was some sort of tall grass with reddish seed heads. I found him at Shortheath Common whilst I was looking for Binswood :lol: :lol: - neither of which I have been to before but as I happened to be passing ............

Yesterday rain stopped play! It nearly did today too but I took a chance and set off to find some SSSkippers - it wasn't easy in the overcast and showery conditions but I found a few! I imagine over the next week or so as the numbers hopefully increase it will be easier to get photos but a few to be going on with:
P1090714dd.JPG
P1090715dd.JPG
P1090716d.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A few photos I took yesterday whilst searching for SSS:

A (slightly) better GVW - with a bit of company!
P1090733d.JPG
The usual Chalkhills:
P1090712d.JPG
P1090708d.JPG
Still no blue spots!!!
P1090748d.jpg
So still and so well camouflaged!
P1090737d.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

First of all, thank you Guy for your complement on my Graylings tho' I guess I should really be putting this in your diary!

Today I decided to pay a brief visit to QECP and the lower slopes of Butser Hill (as it is only 7 miles away - 10 mins) in my search for a Small Copper with blue spots. I failed miserably and am now considering using Elements to paint them on an earlier photo :lol: :lol: . The weather that greeted me when I arrived was:
P1090855d.jpg
I shall remember this 'Summer' as the one when I took most of my photos in the rain!!

One of the first (or should I say 2 of the first) butterflies I found was a mating pair of Gatekeeper and as I took these photos the heavens opened and I was drenched (t-shirt only!)!
P1090820d.jpg
P1090827d.jpg
Small Skippers were very much in evidence in varying states of wear and tear:
P1090776d.jpg
P1090773d.jpg
P1090921djpg.jpg
In a short space of time I saw 11 species which considering the weather I was quite happy with. Many Chalkhills as to be expected:
P1090842a.jpg
.... and an Essex Skipper hanging on for grim death against the strong wind:
P1090788d.jpg
... and a Gatekeeper up a tree:
P1090850d.jpg
I was about to leave when sirens on the A3 alerted me to the fact that there had been an accident - police cars, ambulances and a fire engine. I debated about having lunch at a local pub (the Red Lion at Chalton) but I really needed to get back. To cut a long story short the A3 Northbound was closed and I was stuck on it for the best part of 2 hours. Emergency services kept arriving and the air ambulance was present. When we were eventually diverted through Petersfield (past the accident site) it was quite harrowing. There were still 8 police cars and 2 motor cycles present. One blue car was on its side by the central barrier and various personal possessions were scattered all over the road - a single trainer, some clothes, a bag etc. It was not a good end to the morning!

Return to “Personal Diaries”