Longhorn mystery and Caterpillar I should know?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
IAC

Longhorn mystery and Caterpillar I should know?

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
Photographed this one of two Longhorns in the Eildon Hills near Melrose Scottish Borders today....not one that I know. Just cannot pin it down...any ideas?
The other a large pillar...certainly a moth...I have seen this before...but I cant think where. Any help with these appreciated greatly.

Iain.
Attachments
LARGER VERSION OF FILE
LARGER VERSION OF FILE
Mystery Cat...I should know..
Mystery Cat...I should know..
Last edited by IAC on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikhail

Re: Longhorn mystery and Caterpillar I should know?

Post by Mikhail »

Your caterpillar is the Red Sword-grass Xylena vetusta. Not sure if the moth is identifiable from the photo.

M.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi Mikhail,
Well done and thankyou very much....bang on, I would never have got it. Red Swordgrass...thats a first for me. Yes the micro longhorn is difficult. I have done a bit of research and the best I can come up with is Nemophora Minimella. All the habits, flight times match up quite well. Unconvinced with its appearance though...and that could be as you say Mikhail, the photo itself....I will post a larger version...just in case it can be identified a little easier from that. This micro was tussling in long grasses with another in mid flight fencing match....looked very like a couple of very small flies.

Thanks again Mikhail.

Iain.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I took the liberty of doing a little work on your photo with Photoshop, as shown below:
from original by IAC
from original by IAC
Your suggestion of Nemophora Minimella looks quite plausible, if you compare with the photo on UKMoths at http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=145 , though I'm no expert on micro moths.

Mike

Return to “Identification”