Silver Studded Blues in Pembrokeshire

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David M

Silver Studded Blues in Pembrokeshire

Post by David M »

Of all the Silver Studded Blue colonies in the UK, the ones that seem to receive the least attention are the most isolated ones of all, i.e. those on the Castlemartin Firing Ranges near Bosherton, Pembrokeshire.

Since moving to Swansea two years ago, I have yearned to check this area out during the SSB flight season. However, various factors have stood in the way of that, mainly the weather which is very unpredictable in this exposed part of the country, but also the fact that the eastern part of the ranges are only open to the public at weekends (and the western part not at all).

Today presented an ideal opportunity to pay a visit, with a relatively benign weather forecast of 16c, sunshine and very light winds.

There was a comprehensive assessment made of these colonies back in 2000, and within the report were useful maps marking out where the colonies were concentrated. I used Appendix 2, Sheet 5 (page 33), as this map provided details of those colonies found near to the car park close to St. Govan's Chapel which is easy to access.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/vc45leps/rep ... s_VC45.pdf

I'm pleased to say that I did see the species here, though only in very small numbers (just five in total, and never more than one individual at a time).

Given the expertise some people have regarding this species, I thought I'd provide images of all 5 individuals seen (4 males, 1 female) as even to me there was some variation from those seen at the Prees Heath site in Shropshire.

SSB 1

By the blockhouse near to the car park is a gully where the tram track used to be. The first SSB I saw was flying along the bank.

To me the upperside at least looked fairly typical of the species:

SSB 2

Just past the blockhouse is a path that leads down to a secluded inlet called New Quay. This is a very sheltered spot as it is protected on both sides by steeply rising ground.

I saw two blue butterflies here; the first was a Common Blue and I presumed the second was too. However, upon settling, it was another SSB but this time with much less pronounced black wing margins:

SSB 3

Climbing the steep bank to the north of this inlet, I came upon the only female of the day. The first thing that struck me was the size - far bigger than those I've seen at Prees Heath; in fact, very similar in size to a female Common Blue:

SSB 4

The next specimen was found close to where the first of the day was seen - on the bank overlooking the blockhouse. Again, its margins were understated and it also sported spots on the hindwings:

SSB 5

The final SSB was the only one I saw to the west of the car park. It was more heavily marked than the others seen, and also appeared a little smaller:

The populations on this site seem totally unlike those at, say, Prees Heath, where if you find one you will find dozens more nearby. I found only single individuals in three of the areas highlighted on the map as harbouring colonies, and two at one other. It appears that in the south of Wales at least, Silver Studded Blue is a species of relatively low density. Still, they're definitely there, and one hopes if they can get through this abject summer then they can survive anything.
Last edited by David M on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Silver Studded Blues in Pembrokeshire

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff David :D Is it just me or do the markings on the underside of the forewing on SSB3 seem slightly angular rather than dots?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Silver Studded Blues in Pembrokeshire

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Great stuff David :D Is it just me or do the markings on the underside of the forewing on SSB3 seem slightly angular rather than dots?
Hard for me to say, Wurzel, as I don't have a great deal of experience with this species.

SSBs are highly interesting though in terms of variances between individuals/colonies, and I've posted these images primarily for those who are better than I at recognising unusual features.

Return to “Sites”