White-letter Hairstreaks in Brighton

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Mildheart

White-letter Hairstreaks in Brighton

Post by Mildheart »

I'm thinking of heading to Brighton at the weekend for White-letter Hairstreak, then heading on to Cissbury Ring after (or before!) for Dark Green Fritillary. Can anyone give me any tips regarding the best spots for the hairstreaks (particularly regarding photography)?
Neil Hulme

Re: White-letter Hairstreaks in Brighton

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mildheart,
Try the hedgeline in Hollingbury Park, between TQ31490759 and southwards down towards the tennis courts. For DGF at Cissbury focus on the ramparts (ring) on the W and NW sides.
Good luck, Neil
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

Hi Neil

Thanks for the info. I tried both sites today and I'll post on the sightings thread when I process my photos, but I wanted to reply here first. Cissbury ring was a bit of a disappointment if I'm honest. I hoped it would be a better site for DGF than the places I've seen it in Surrey (Denbies Hillside and Box Hill) but it was much the same, very few individuals and completely unapproachable, but of course it could just be the generally rubbish year that we are going through. Interesting to see your DGF at Botany Bay - I'm intending to try there for Purple Emperor next weekend so maybe I'll get a DGF then.

No White-letter Hairstreaks at Hollingbury. Most of the thistles haven't started flowering yet and the rain showers and increasing wind probably didn't help.

Clive
John W

Post by John W »

I also looked for White-Letter Hairstreaks at Hollingbury on Thursday and today (at about 5pm on both days) without seeing any.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi
I was working in the Brighton and Hove area yesterday and was amazed by the number of Elm trees there :o (I can not find any in my local patch). The Parks all seem to have a generous helping and every major road seems to be lined with them. I did not have time to look for WLH but it is likely that I will be returning there over the coming few weeks. Are there any other locations in this area for WLH other than that already mentioned :?:

Return to “Sites”