Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

On Sunday with the weather looking like it was going to be the best the week would have to offer I loaded my older daughter into the car and headed over Farnham way for a meet up with Philzoid. We arrived early at Straits and set off with some trepidation along the track. Already there were people about as we enjoyed the Silver Washed Fritillaries and Meadow Browns along the edges even though they showed an infuriating knack of perching just out of reach. Despite this some individuals behaved much better perching on the large number of thistles including a possible aberrant female Meadow Brown with orange markings on the hind wings and also a SWF and Small Skipper allowed me to get a multi species shot.
025 - Copy-001.JPG
037 - Copy-001.JPG
066 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Other species seen were the occasional flighty White Admiral, Ringlets and Comma and we continued our way along the path towards the fire tower scanning the footpath for large dark blobs and stopping at thistles to snap away at the large number of SWFs a lot of them female. I met Pauline for the first time – good to finally meet up and also bumped into Tuts who was on his way to some other sites in the Alice Holt area. We continued on down and checked the hotspot that was by the fire tower. Here the bramble bushes attracted butterflies from all over and you just had to stand back as Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large and Small Skippers, SWFs, White and Red Admirals, Commas and a Marbled White flitted in and out of the prickles, swooping in to nectar and then disappearing again to be replaced by a different species. It was enough to make you go dizzy as you’d try to watch one individual only for it to interact with another and another and then you’d get distracted and start watching something else!
147 - Copy-001.JPG
187 - Copy-001.JPG
Eventually we ended up at the end of the track which seemed quite over grown and had fewer of the same species. It seemed like the weather wasn’t going to help us so we slowly worked our way back meeting up with Colin Baker on the way. From there we moved over to Goose Green hoping to at least see if not photograph his Nibbs. While we were having lunch Tuts arrived again and set off and when we joined him shortly he took great delight in informing us that he’d seen at least 6 individuals :shock: ! Still when the sun came out we were graced by His presence and enjoyed some of His monkey business! He’d fly really fast disappearing over the tree tops of the trees on the other side of the road and then appear Batman style back on his Perch. You’ll have to excuse the poor photos but after three years these are the only photos I’ve ever managed to get! Still at least the pressure is off I have a photo and so now can look forward to the grounded more intimate shots to come. :wink:
222 - Copy-001.JPG
232 - Copy-001.JPG
As the cloud came back over we left Him at his tree top palace and headed back to Straits. We strolled along the track with a Green Veined White on the way and soon found ourselves at the fire tower which was again alive with butterflies. To the species already seen we added Large White as well as a Golden Ringed Dragonfly which was a nice find. We were joined by Paul Richie and tried our luck at the far end of the track where Pauls cologne was too much for a mating pair of SWFs which continued copulating on his chest. Once finished the male unclasped the female and she flew off and landed on my daughters’ hat. Once we’d got some shots Philzoid transferred the hat to his daughter, butterfly and all, so that she could have the red carpet treatment too! :D
270 - Copy-001.JPG
356 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
418 - Copy-001.JPG
432 - Copy-001.JPG
460 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Back at the fire tower we were joined by Tuts and there was now a Small White and a very fresh Red Admiral and every time the sun would peep through the clouds the butterflies would throng around the brambles once again treating us to a fantastic spectacle.
467 - Copy-001.JPG
491 - Copy-001.JPG
498 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
All too soon the day was drawing to a close and I had to get home to complete the domestic duties prior to the start of the working week. Still here’s hoping that with high pressure building we may get some proper Emperor weather and I can get those grounded shots!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Aloha Wurzel!
As ever a feast of sharp images! I assume you mean Farnham in Wiltshire?
Well done on snapping 'His Purpleness'! I would have been in a world of trouble trying to capture that on the old mobile! :lol:
Still can't quite believe I saw mine yesterday; genuinely made my year!
I hope you get closer to him next time and get some more hairstreaks.
Flutter on!
CJB

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers CJB :D I too hope I get closer to Him next time as I'm still feeling pangs of jealousy at your shots!

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some nice shots Wurzel - I particularly like the Meadow Brown and White Admiral. When I read your report it really made me question why I go further afield when I have so many really good sites, including this one, on my doorstep. I must try to remember that the grass isn't always greener ......... :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline. :D I too am lucky enough to have some cracking sites near me but I travel to similar sites so I can meet up with other enthusiasts, although Straits was brill at the weekend, the Fire Tower area was simply stunning, just so many butterflies 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

In order to keep up to date with my PD I really need to stop going out and trying to find butterflies! These were taken on a morning stop about a week ago. I called in at one of the pull in places on the edge of the Salisbury Plain Training Area. As I strolled up the path Meadow Browns exploded like exocet missiles from the grass in front of me and headed off at obtuse angles. I could glimpse the occasional Marbled White clinging to the grasses.
At the top of the rise the path curves off and cuts through a small rectangular wood. Also here are larger thistles and almost every one of these had a Marbled White or Meadow Brown perched on the top. There were also Large Skippers about although they were starting to look a little past their best and when they’d chase others away they did so in an almost arthritic fashion. The vegetation present here formed a short cline with the succession starting with the short grasses in the centre of the path becoming more interspersed with shorter flowers, then taller flowers, grasses, thistles before the shorter trees and climaxing with the mature trees in the wood. This whole succession occurs in just a couple of metres. It was in the shorter flowering plants that I found a Smessex Skipper and having gotten a few shots from various different angles discovered that it was a female Small and it was soon joined by a much fresher looking male.
031 - Copy-001.JPG
033 - Copy-001.JPG
042 - Copy-001.JPG
The Meadow Browns didn’t seem to have any preference for any particular area but the Ringlets definitely favoured the longer grass and thistles. I noticed one individual with very large “eye” markings although I’m pretty sure that it falls in the normal range of variation for this species.
048 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
With the clock running down rapidly I started back and came across a Small Heath in the middle of the path. I knew that the moment I got within 2 metres of it, it would be off and I couldn’t go round or edge past it without disturbing it so I thought that I would make the most of this opportunity. I set my camera to sport mode, focused in and very slowly, clicking all the time, shuffled my way along the path. The Small Heath acted as predicted an rocketed away and out of sight, but when I checked my photos there was an (bit blurry admittedly) open wing shot of Small Heath. I don’t condone disturbing a butterfly to get a shot but I didn’t have much choice in this case and perhaps next time I’m put in a similar position by a Small Heath I might get a sharper image.
070 - Copy-001.JPG
That said the holidays are approaching and apparently we’re going to be getting some warmer weather – who knows we might suddenly see loads of butterflies -could this be a Clouded Yellow summer, when was the last one?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

2009, Wurzel, was probably the last summer with appreciable numbers of Clouded Yellows. The field down near Beachy Head at the end of September with an estmated 500+ was a sight to see.

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Seconded! I were there in early October,and they were everywhere-and all when i thought the butterfly season had finished! There were still some in early November! Unforgetable.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave and Essex, so judging by what the books say the next big one will be around 2019 :(

Still at least our summer is here :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,
More sharp shots :mrgreen: !
With you picture of the Ringlet, I wondered if you agreed that the Ringlet Ladies have 3 spots on the upper wing (when open) and the Lads only 2? In my PE posting ( :wink:) I included a picture of a ringlet with 3 spots. Any thoughts?
Off for 2 weeks from tomorrow just in time for the weather and hoping to get my first DGF;; wish me luck!
Flutter on!
CJB

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the kind comments CJB :D All the books do indeed show male Ringlets with 2 abd females with 3 spots on the forewings but the size and how eyed the spots are seems to be quite variable. Good luck with the DGF this weekend-look for purple flowers and you should find them, also try early or later when they'll be calmer.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

While everyone else was out finding Chalkhills or Emperors I was enjoying a family day at Wisley. Hell of a long way to go for a day out but it was a request from my sister in-law, so we walked round the meadows and gardens as the sun beat down. It seems that summer is eventually here – how long it will last is anyone’s guess as the Met are hedging their bets. Still amongst the shrubbery butterflies were about, mainly very flighty whites but they were joined by a male Brimstone and a Comma.
017 - Copy-001.JPG
021 - Copy (2)-001.JPG
By lunch time we’d made it to the edge of the orchards so we stopped to eat a picnic in the longer grass as whites and Meadow Browns flitted by joined by blue Damselflies. As the day progressed there were many more Meadow Browns and whites and also another Comma and three species of Damselfly.
046 - Copy-001.JPG
We were heading back to the car park when a blue butterfly flitted by - a male Holly Blue from the second brood. Unfortunately the tired legs of the children took precedent and so I tore myself away from watching it to return the family to the car and home. Whilst it was an enjoyable day from a family point of view, and it was nice to see some whites making flights, I couldn’t help feeling somehow that I was missing out...remind me not to check the sightings thread!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

don't forget not check the sightings thread :) well you did ask :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Never mind, Wurzel. Wisley is amazing for botanical interest, but it seems a bit clinical for butterflies, somehow.

It's going to be a lovely week - you'll be out there somewhere, I'm sure.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Chris but I succumbed - it wasn't too bad though... :wink:
Cheers for the consoling Dave :D - and clinical was the word I was thinking of yeasterday but couldn't quite articulate.

Bentley Wood delivers and then some...

With the weather wall to wall sunshine, high temperatures and very little wind it seemed perfect for Purple Emperors. Having driven all the way up to Wisley yesterday and with a camping trip back to my homeland in the offing I decided to stay local and try my luck for the third year at Bentley Wood. The last two years I have been getting closer and closer views of His Nibbs but the weather hasn’t always been good so no grounded shots for me.

I arrived in the car park and there were a few people around. I apologise now if anyone I met today should read this because one of the things I really must do is actually ask people who they are! Anyway I set off slowly strolling down the switchback in trying to scan the tree tops and the ground at the same time. As it was a bit early there was very little flying apart from the occasional Ringlet. I was soon caught up by a couple of blokes from Falmouth and we arrived at the crossroads. The large Oaks on the corners had a single Purple Hairstreak flitting around and that was it. So they headed back along the switchback and I walked down the track on the left. Still there was very little about and the shade made tings unfavourable so it was back along the switchback for me, with another single Purple Hairstreak. About half way along near the larger braken field I bumped into the two blokes from earlier and they’d seen a Purple Emperor in amongst one of the Oaks there. We got a bit distracted by the odd Silver Washed Fritillary and a White Admiral when something a fair bit bigger and more bat shaped flew down the path towards us and after a brief altercation with the White Admiral landed about 10ft up a Hazel tree that was at the side of the path, so it was just out of reach.
004 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
I thought this was going to be the best view I was going to get and so I wasn’t surprised when it took off about 20 minutes later and became lost from view higher up an Oak tree. We three decided to head back to the car park for a drink and then do another patrol. Whilst there a fresh White Admiral and a Valesina gave us something to look at amid Large Skippers and Ringlets.
123 - Copy-001.JPG
We were just heading back when another watcher told us that the individual that had been out of reach had landed on the path for a good 10 minutes so we all ran back to half way along the switchback. We were still some distance away when it took off. It did a couple of fly-bys almost landing a couple of times, landed for about 15 seconds and then was gone. Oh well I’d gotten some photos and the closest views I’d ever had so we carried on towards the crossroads. While watching a Silver Washed we realised that we weren’t the only ones watching as perched just above it was a large Dragonfly – a Southern Hawker.
136 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
From there we headed left down the path from the crossroads with banter flowing about what we’d like and one gent reckoning that within 100yards there would be a PE on the deck. And within 98 there was as it had been baited by a couple of gents from Bournemouth. Also there was a dead rabbit and this proved to be successful in attracting another male down to the deck where it had a stroll around the logs, flew back up in to the tree again before finally settling down and feeding on decaying lagomorphs. Whilst I appreciated the bait for getting the PE down I did forget to breathe through my mouth at one point which was pretty rank – but that’s what you have to endure for His Nibbs!
178 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
224 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
With the clock ticking I had to head back and left the group heading towards Donkey Copse and the baiters went back to their stools (something I’ll give a go next year). By the time I’d almost reached the car park my cheeks were aching from grinning so much but it didn’t end there! A small cluster of people had just seen a PE on the deck yards from the car park and as I was getting shots of a White Admiral another appeared and plopped down. This one could be a female as no matter form which angle the sun caught it it didn’t show up blue. I say “could” because I’m not sure of the diagnostic features to differentiate between the sexes. :? I'd joined a goup y this time and all of teh main bods present seemed adamant that it was a female - I'd be delighted if it was but I'm still not too sure...
277 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
As this one left it was replaced by another – a definite male this time which set about feeding on dog scat.
295 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
363 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
370 - Copy-001.JPG
An absolutely cracking morning of madness – people brining along their dogs scat in little baggies, 3 grown men sprinting along a gravel track, other people bringing road kill on a day out, others still peeing in the middle of the track while others look away realising it’s all for the common good! True there were other butterflies around but they seem to pale into insignificance His Nibbs, I can’t wait for next year!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Congratulations on getting the Emperors Wurzel :mrgreen: :) . Judging by the postings it seems like everyone has seen a grounded one this season except me :( :cry: And it looks like the weather isn't going to hold for the coming weekend :( :!:

Looking at your pictures it is hard to tell whether the part open shot (4 from the end) is a female, but the next picture looks like one to me (not sure if your text saying its a male refers to that pic or the one below?) The wing shape is 'stockier', for want of a better description, and although females have the same patterns as the males they are generally bigger with slightly thicker-set wings (not 100% on this by eny means though).

Phil

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Wurzel - glad you got one in the end - reward for all your hard work. Looks good for a female PE to me - the most notable difference in the field is the size - the female appears noticeably bigger. However the white bands are also somewhat wider in the female and the wings have a general more rounded appearance than the male, which certainly looks to be the case with your one.
Just like buses eh? When ones shows up so do two more! Mark. :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Congratulations on the Purple Emperors Wurzel :D

A female on the ground as well :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil F.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Congrats Wurzel - my experience was very similar and I even found the baited area (the gents must use this year after year since I saw PE there last year too on leftover bait!). Someone had added a banana skin to the mix, which absolutely stank from whatever concoctions it had soaked up. After 10 minutes of waiting there and seeing 2 male PEs fly by, a local dog walker came and chatted, and his dog promptly walked over to the rank banana skin and ate the thing whole. Whichever end that skin comes out of it is going to STINK! The dog breath must have been particularly potent that particular day :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid and Tuts for the extra ID help :D , I was a little unsure as I didn’t think that females were supposed to come down onto the deck, but then that’s the beauty of nature watching – you have to expect the unexpected! And I much prefer these too buses!
Cheers for the congratulations Neil! :D
Cheers Pete :D – I’m glad that Bentley yielded you good results too – it’s been a bit off there it seems the last couple of years, for me anyway. I’ll have to remember that spot and also scour my local Polish Deli for some shrimp paste that was recommended. Another idea I’ll nick from the baiters was taking along a stool so you can have a sit down while you wait! 8)

I’ve only just got back from a 5 night camping trip to my old stomping grounds on the Isle of Purbeck and rather than sort through the photos I’m posting from a trip I made almost 3 weeks ago but never got round to sorting out...

Martin Down back in mid July was experiencing totally different weather to what we have had over the last week or so. As I was feeling the need to get out as much as possible I decided to make an evening foray. However I didn’t know what to try for – Bentley for more Silver Washed, Garston for a possible Valesina or Martin Down for some roosting DGFs?
In the end I headed into Hampshire and bombed along the well worn road to Martin Down. As I pulled up into the car park I was hopeful that the large threatening cloud might just skip by me and the sun would remain but as I headed for the butts I realised that my luck just wasn’t going to be in and for the next 20 minutes amongst the showers I saw only the occasional Meadow Brown that was brave/stupid enough to fly, possibly in a vain attempt to find some shelter.
I got as far as the meadow at Grimm’s Ditch (?) before deciding that I should call it a day and so I trudged back to the car park. The clouds would occasionally shift and the sun would break through only for rainbows to form for a few minutes before the next wave of rain hit.
120 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
I finally ended up at my DGF hotspot, the hollow to the right of the car park when the sun appeared, and with it butterflies! Where there had been none just 30 seconds before there were Foresters and spotted Burnets (okay they’re moths but I really didn’t care at this point – anything that flew was fair game), Small Heaths seemed to be having a competition with Meadow Browns to find which species could explode the quickest from the grass on the path and as well as Marbled Whites there was the occasional orange blur of a Smessex passing by. I did manage to track one of these down and I was actually quite grateful when a cloud covered the weak evening sun so I could manage an approach.
123 - Copy-001.JPG
131-001.JPG
The Marbled Whites were easy to spot, just look for any purple flower head and there would be one, sometimes two. I came across two Marbled Whites on two separate Knapweed heads, both head down, the one on the right facing right, the one on the left facing left but despite 5 or 6 minutes of constantly shifting my position I just couldn’t seem to get them both in focus. In the end I got as good as I could of both individuals and perhaps one day when I’ve got time/photoshop I’ll splice the two photos together or layer them to get the effect I was seeing with my knackered old eyes.
177 - Copy-001.JPG
Although the sun was weak when it did shine it would catch the Marbled Whites in particular and they would glow almost with the delicate blue spots showing well.
180 - Copy-001.JPG
In the end I had to call it a night as the temperature noticeably dropped and the butterflies became scarcer and scarcer. I never did see a roosting DGF and it was only as I was driving home that I realised that I actually didn’t know what I was looking for anyway!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”