Epic Butterfly Walk!

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
ScottD

Re: Epic Butterfly Walk!

Post by ScottD »

Had a curry tonight with Sami & Seth on the outskirts of Glasgow.
They seemed hale & hearty :)
sami

Post by sami »

Thanks to ScottD for a lovely evening meal, great company and a fab wedding present! Was lovely to meet you :)
Started on the West Highland Way today. It's fantastic walking so far!! And the sun is out... Would you believe it :)
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Glad you met up with Scott. He's a "top bloke" who went out of his way to meet up with me at Glasdrum Wood earlier this year and I felt I'd known him forever; great company! I have the same reaction with every serious Lepidopterist I meet; funny that :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
sami

Post by sami »

So will we be meeting up with you on this trip Pete?
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Looks like I've missed the chance to meet up with you further south and, if I can't make it oop north, I'll definitely buy you two a meal when you get home :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
sami

Post by sami »

Stayed in our first ever bothy last night! It was freezing and full of mice but a magical experience too :)
Loch Lomond has not disappointed. It is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I have ever seen!! :)
Walking is a lot tougher up here but a lot more rewarding too.
Best wishes :)
David M

Post by David M »

Loch Lomond is stunning. I used to pass it regularly on my way up to work in Oban 20 years ago and I never got sick of the views from the A82.

Warmer weather on the way, Sami, though I'm not sure whether it'll work its way up to Scotland. I hope that it does, because you two deserve a break.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I wonder where you two might be on Saturday? I am making my way on Saturday, via Loch Lomond to Crianlarich where I am staying the night. On Sunday Crianlarich to Mull via Oban and the ferry.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Morning to the two of you.

I - and I am sure others would do the same - will give an amount equal to my previous donation if you follow this splendid chap's example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-18873631

Photographic proof needed. To eliminate cheating (such as picture taken inside tent), minimum of two photos showing signposts or other location identifiers at least one mile apart.
NB. Footwear permitted but nothing else.

Jack
sami

Post by sami »

Seth says: "I'll do a mile in boots, boxers and backpack provided there's enough interest. And plenty of midge cream.'

so....

Let's say if 5 people pledge a tenner each within 24 hours on this forum thread, Seth will get his kit off, in the highlands, in the rain, for a mile.

You'd have to make a much better offer for me to do the same!
Do we have any takers? :) :)

Ps - we're in Crianlarich now so probably won't get to see you :(
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Jack Harrison wrote:Morning to the two of you.

I - and I am sure others would do the same - will give an amount equal to my previous donation if you follow this splendid chap's example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-18873631

Photographic proof needed. To eliminate cheating (such as picture taken inside tent), minimum of two photos showing signposts or other location identifiers at least one mile apart.
NB. Footwear permitted but nothing else.

Jack
He's thrown the Gauntlet down there :shock: :lol:

The parallels are frightning .... Lorry driving ... Lands end to John O'groats :o Be careful Seth, Scotland have already got Nessie and can do without another wee beast to get the tongues wagging :P
sami

Post by sami »

Lol Philzoid!! :) :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sami
Seth says: "I'll do a mile in boots, boxers and backpack provided there's enough interest. And plenty of midge cream.'

so....

Let's say if 5 people pledge a tenner each within 24 hours on this forum thread, Seth will get his kit off, in the highlands, in the rain, for a mile.
I'd allow the backpack but not the boxers or any other "modesty" covering.

I'll certainly pledge a tenner according to the rules. No cheating with these absurd boxers even if they are flesh coloured.

Jack
sami

Post by sami »

Jack, you can't expect us to put up photos like that on UKB and not be banned forever! ;)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Jack, you can't expect us to put up photos like that on UKB and not be banned forever! ;)
If you are REALLY are that modest, I think we would be prepared to accept pictures of you walking off into the distance - suitably UN-ATTIRED of course.

BC would stand to gain from this. We have all seen recently the implications of a Chief Executive being kept out of the loop so Dr. Warren ought to be told what's afoot :twisted:

Jack
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

To spare Sami's blushes I will donate £50 for Seth to keep his boxers on! :roll
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:
If you are REALLY are that modest, I think we would be prepared to accept pictures of you walking off into the distance - suitably UN-ATTIRED of course.

BC would stand to gain from this. We have all seen recently the implications of a Chief Executive being kept out of the loop so Dr. Warren ought to be told what's afoot :twisted:

Jack
I like this and I'm in!

I have already pledged an additional amount equal to the sum of all butterfly species seen by Seth and Sami along the way (and that remains a concrete pledge), but I will happily top that donation up by an ADDITIONAL £10 if the pair of you fulfil Jack's suggestion (from a distance of course...this IS a family website you know) :)

We've all seen the film 'Calendar Girls'. If it's good enough for the Women's Institute, it's good enough for Butterfly Conservation!!

Go for it!
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

You're in a quandary now, Which offer will you accept? :D
sami

Post by sami »

Tips on how to have one of the best days of your life:
1: Eat/swat so many midges in the morning that it becomes funny
2: Have a chat with a comedian and some 80's popstars and get filmed for TV
3: Walk across Rannoch Moor, the largest uninhabited wilderness in Britain, above a view so huge you can see dozens of peaks
4: Have an extended pub break with your new walking friends
5: Set off irresponsibly late to do an epic climb, pant to the top just in time to see the sun set over Ben Nevis, get swept away by the view
6: Self find a nightjar
7: Make it to the pub 21.5 miles later, at 11pm, in the dark, in time to get a beer :) 
8: do it all with an amazing husband!!

And sorry, Jack, but we didn't get the required amount of pledges in the 24 hours ;(
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Naked Rambler has just been arrested again so be careful.

I'll be joining you in Bonnie Scotland later today but you will be way to the north of me. Good luck.

Jack

Return to “Field Trips and Events”