Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

Although the books give end-June to early August as the flight season of Erebia christi it is essentially over by mid-July these days and I set off this morning not so much to find the butterfly as to explore suitable sites for an early attack next year. I didn't find it, but I did find a fantastic site - textbook perfect for the species, steep and rocky with abundant sheep's fescue, plenty of bare patches and scattered thyme. It more or less spanned the middle of the altitude range of the species and was in a valley where it is known to fly. I have great hopes for this site next year! I also had a wonderful time today, unlike last Thursday when I had quite a miserable time scrabbling about in the wind, seeing almost nothing.

(Tufts of sheep's fescue)

It is not unreasonable to suggest I saw 1000 individual Erebia butterflies today. Probably 900 of these were euryale. The other 100 were split between meolans, alberganus, aethiops, montana, melampus, tyndarus and epiphron. E. euryale was so abundant it was literally impossible to have your eyes open at any time and not see several of the species - sometimes up to twenty. I wasn't really taking photos today, because I was on a 45°slope with a net in one hand, but I did try to get a few. Unfortunately, perhaps because of the honey sun cream I had had to buy in Brig station (I forgot to pack any), almost every time I approached a euryale it jumped onto me. This one found I was already taken - a pair of mating transparent burnets had already smelt me:

Here is another (EDIT: I see it is the same one, though it was photographed four minutes later! It obviously never really left me):

It wasn't just euryale that found me attractive today. Here is a tyndarus (Swiss brassy ringlet) who almost seemed to be trying to net himself. I took him from several angles to bring out the brassy reflections:

The only things I netted in earnest were epiphron. Apparently, christi has a rather gliding fight and so tyndarus, which is almost buzzy (and flashes silver in flight), was never in the picture. I did take a few alberganus, because these are occasionally very small, and a few melampus, though these are on the whole easy to identify in flight and were also very dark and fresh. Although a few epiphron excited me by their flight and general appearance they were soon released after a quick photoshoot in the plastic box. The form of this extremely variable species is very weakly spotted at this site but some of the individuals had elongated spots, like christi, which had me going for a few seconds ... The truth is, christi is one of the most readily identifiable species of Erebia and I would have known even as I netted it if I had one.

Here are two of the netted epiphron:

It goes without saying that they were both released as soon as they had been examined and photographed (uns and ups of each, in the box).

In total, I spotted three candidates I would have interviewed had they accepted the invitation (one got away - the other two turned and disappeared over inaccessible terrain). The chances are they were all epiphron.

Here are a few more Erebia:

(a euryale that didn't leap at me)

(meolans)

(melampus)

(alberganus)

My favourite butterfly of the day was this magnificent female Erebia montana:

She was perfectly camouflaged on the stony path (not on the potential christi site but higher up the valley).

Here is her upperside:

Here is a Niobe fritillary, form eris:

The first silver-spotted skippers of the year were flying:

This means we are now in high summer.

Here is a sooty copper hogging a huge flowerhead all to himself:

It was a wonderful site I found today. With all sorts of blue, from turquoise, through mazarine to alcon, and plenty of fritillaries too, it is a must for next year - beginning of July!

(Left to right: Geranium argus, chalkhill blue, mazarine blue, turquoise blue)

Guy

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent images, Guy. What is this honey sun cream that makes one's skin so attractive to butterflies?

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's called Apinatura, Schutzfaktor 16. :D It smells distinctly of honey when you first apply it.

I can't guarantee it was that that did it, I must add. It might have been my naturally (beer and curry are natural) perfumed sweat. Biting insects leave me completely alone but some butterflies do find me tasty.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:It might have been my naturally (beer and curry are natural) perfumed sweat.
Well, my combo of choice is Bordeaux and curry yet I rarely get butterflies landing on me!! :)

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David M
Well, my combo of choice is Bordeaux and curry yet I rarely get butterflies landing on me!! :)
I have noticed in good Purple Emperor seasons that they land on some people regularly yet others are ignored. It might of course be the clothes rather than then person. My Tesco cheap trainers seem to be much favoured by Graylings and Small Blues yet I've never had a PE land on me.

New thread required perhaps: best clothes/food/drink/aftershave/etc to attract butterflies. And dare I suggest that before a PE hunt, forgoing the morning shower might be a good idea? :)

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's true - we each have unique odours that identify us, as any dog owner knows, and it should come as little surprise that we are of varying attractiveness to insects. I once bivvied on a hillside in Provence 5m away from Tim Cowles. I could hear the mosquitoes buzzing around him and devouring whatever bits of flesh he exposed but I slept at peace with both arms bare and outside the bivvy bag. On the other hand, many species of butterfly (including purple emperors, Jack) readily settle on me.

Jack's mention of purple emperors reminded me I hadn't seen one this year so I popped down to the local woods this morning to look for one. Unfortunately, the work the woodmen did this spring has transformed the main ride, removing almost all the sallow (as well as elm and alder buckthorn) and it now seems most unsuitable for the species. I didn't see one today, walking the ride between 10h30 and 11h45 - most unusual for mid-July. I was hoping to see a male I might speculatively identify as Aurelian but I suspect he emerged at the top of his tree one morning, set off for the action and found it wasn't in this ride any more. I may be hard pushed to find eggs and caterpillars this year.

Although a great deal of elm has been destroyed I did see a few white-letter hairstreaks at the top of their 'master tree' and found two nectaring lower down:

There were also common blues, Provençal short-tailed blues, marbled fritillaries, dark green fritillaries, silver-washed fritillaries, high brown fritillaries, a couple of white admirals and loads of woodland browns:

What I call the 'master tree' for the hairstreaks is a tall ash, which always seems to have hairstreaks sitting around in its canopy, from where they can be seen occasionally rising up to chase away passing butterflies or just change leaves. It's way too high for any detail to be seen, or even to see the insects at rest, but five minutes' watching will always reveal a few and sometimes it is possible to see lots rising together. Today, however, I noticed that the equally tall wych elem right next to it is diseased:

Swathes of leaves lower down the tree are also looking yellow and sickly:

Other elm trees in the woods (the ones the woodmen have left...) are in good health.

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I had to do a few essential chores in the morning but it was a glorious day so I got out in the afternoon for a short trip.

My timing was awful. At my short-tailed blue site I found the meadow had just been scythed:

I normally see the second brood in August, so if they do this every year all is well - just not very good for butterfly-watching today.

SO, I headed on to look for Meleager's blues and blue-spot hairstreaks. My usual Meleager's nectaring and laying sites had also been cut - today, in fact. I saw the men at it (and not scything but strimming).

(This herb-rich edge had been strimmed to within an inch of its life, but again, I suspect it is done in the same way every year)

That meant I had to explore elsewhere and I was glad I did. I found myself in daphnis central - at this new site Meleager's blue was far and away the commonest Lycaenid. Here are a male and a female:

I saw no blue-spot hairstreaks but enjoyed a new patch of wilderness with plentiful great sooty satyrs and beautiful, fresh spotted fritillaries:

Instead of coming straight home I popped into my local woods to see if I could catch an evening flight of an emperor. No luck.

It was very hot still and some butterflies were nectaring in full shade, like this white-letter hairstreak and silver-washed fritillary (my camera doesn't cope very well in shade, hence the poor quality):

There were plenty of woodland browns, meadow browns, ringlets, holly blues, marbled fritillaries, high brown fritillaries and Provençal short-tailed blues (that last species is really out in force now). Here are a high brown fritillary and a Provençal short-tailed blue (female):

Weather permitting I shall go further afield to find some emperors tomorrow. It would be a disaster to go through July without seeing one...

Guy

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Guy your photos are a joy to look at - butterflies I can only dream of seeing. With the rain still pouring down and the wind lashing the trees it has been difficult this year to find even the most common of butterflies and the summer just hasn't been the same without them. Good luck with your PE.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

At risk of re-opening the old controversy, your pictures Guy clearly demonstrate that it isn't necessary to have the biggest, most expensive DSLR. I take it you ARE still using a cheap-and-cheerful compact?

That Spotted Frit picture is a stunner: it puts the setting into context to perfection.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you Pauline. I've really felt for UK residents this year - for the butterflies too, not just the humans. There have been quite dire news reports about the effect the terrible weather has had on insects and birds in particular. The weather has taken a rather sudden turn for the better here and I do hope the same happens in the UK. St. Swithin is on your side but the weather forecasters don't seem to be ...

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

And thank you Jack - that post crossed.

Yes, I'm still using the same old Canon compact! It does obviously have limitations but I think the trick, as always, is to know how to get the best out of what you've got. I was pleased with the spotted fritillaries too!

Guy

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Guy your photos are a joy to look at - butterflies I can only dream of seeing.
Not so, Pauline. A little week's trip to France/Switzerland/Spain would make the dream reality.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Lovely pictures of beautiful fresh-looking butterflies, Guy. Your pictures, including the habitats really cheer me up. I am gong to have to persuade the family that Switzerland would be a good place to holiday in the near future!

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

What a joy to see these wonderful pictures of butterflies :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Nick and Debbie. I'm glad the piccies bring a little brightness to you!

As I said I would yesterday, I set off this morning to look for emperors. I got to the site reasonably early, so as to avoid humans, but found the sun was hidden behind the only cloud in the sky and my little corner of the world was in shade. The forecast was accurate - but it hadn't reckoned on this cloud:

As the sun rose in the sky, so the cloud got bigger. Tantalisingly, it was sunny everywhere else but shady where I was!

Eventually, at 10h30, there were about 20 seconds of sun and soon after the sunny spells extended to minutes. A lesser purple emperor cruised by, pausing briefly at my feet:

Here he is again, showing no purple at all:

As it turned out, he was the only emperor I saw all day. There were plenty of white admirals and a probable southern white admiral still on the wing but no more emperors. I fear this is not a good year for them.

There was plenty more to see, though. New for the year were Lulworth skipper and dusky meadow brown. Here is a male Lulworth skipper:

And here a slightly blurry picture of another:

Lulworth skipper is not common in Switzerland. It favours hot, dusty sites, which today it shared with the dusky meadow browns. Here is a male:

There were far more males than females of this species - in fact, I only saw one female. The female is notable for having two spots on the forewing. Usually, the lower one is not visible but when she moves she moves the wing forward and reveals it. This shot nearly worked - but because she was moving she was in just the wrong position when I pressed the shutter. The copper is a scarce copper male.

Purple-shot coppers were still on the wing:

And there were lots of blues: large, little, common, Amanda's, turquoise, Meleager's, Adonis, chalkhill and baton, to name just a few!

This is a baton blue:

And just to prove I don't only photograph exotica, here is a common blue:

These last butterflies were not taken in the emperor rides, of course. I found a track through open dry scrub with plenty of thyme, where they were flying:

I headed home rather early because the wind was getting up and cycling down mountain roads in strong winds is quite frightening, with cars zooming past and overtaking each other on corners! But I did stop in the middle of the road (much to the annoyance of one driver) to pick up a white admiral that had been hit. I doubt it survived but I gave it a better chance...

Guy

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Pauline wrote:
Guy your photos are a joy to look at - butterflies I can only dream of seeing.

David M wrote:
Not so, Pauline. A little week's trip to France/Switzerland/Spain would make the dream reality.
David M Posts: 1898Images: 7Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 pm
Pauline
I have to second Davids answer.
Paul and I have just returned from a self-arranged budget trip to the Rhone Alps.
We flew Easyjet and hired a car from Europcar really cheap.
We stayed in cheap motel chains called B&B and favoured by "white van man" and travelling salesmen . You get a reasonable clean room, and a good buffet breakfast.
These trips do not break the bank, and are terrific fun.
We saw 61 non British species out of the 95 species we saw.
All the sites we visited were gathered from contacts we have made on this web site.
Give it some consideration - you won't regret it.

Cheers

Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yesterday I tried again for a local emperor, also without success, pacing the usual ride from 10h30 to after 12h00. It is clear that this year the male emperors are elsewhere. It doesn't mean one won't come through - just that they can't be guaranteed as they usually can.

It was hot but the weather was turning. Here is a great banded grayling taking refuge in the shade of a hazel:

All the usual woodland butterflies were flying, still including plenty of woodland browns, which have had an excellent season. Here is a common blue female - quite typically for the second brood showing almost no blue at all:

A few white-letter hairstreaks were nectaring on thistle, knapweed and other plants:

If I'd had time I'd have watched her until she moved off to lay, so I could see where she leaves her eggs. In 2010 I found a lot of caterpillars on low, non-flowering elm (mostly in spots where the foresters have eliminated the elm now...) but since then I haven't seen any early stages, despite hunting.

Hairstreaks are a truly delightful group to watch and white-letter especially for me, as it takes me back to childhood. I saw my first one on a family walk in Cheshire when I was ten, the summer before I got my first camera for Christmas - so no record. The book I used then was the Observer's Book and I had longed to see a hairstreak from the moment I opened its pages.

I forgot to mention the other day that I saw a purple hairstreak while looking for emperors in Valais. It came down to walk around on the shady track as soon as the sun came through:

That means I'm up to date on the British hairstreaks. Only brown left, which is in fact probably the hardest to get as the populations are such low density and it is usually a matter of luck whether you see one or not. I have the impression that British woodlands, being a relatively scarce commodity, are rather more intensely managed for some species than in Switzerland, and it is commoner to find relatively high densities. Brown hairstreaks fly all over my region, and in Valais, the females covering many kilometres as they lay eggs sparsely wherever they find blackthorn, and I haven't yet found any significant concentration of them.

Guy

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another cracking report Guy,

I always enjoy reading your diary, the combination of butterflies and habitats makes me feel like I know the place even though I have never been there :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Seconded. I have never been there,either,but i hope i can,in the next couple of years. Where else am i going to find a Cynthias Fritillary?
And i need to buy Guy a drink!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you, Neil and Essexbuzzard. I'm glad you enjoy the virtual trips to CH!

Guy

Return to “Personal Diaries”